We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 18043 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: March 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2008, 02:53:33 AM »
As Paul has mentioned, we've finally had some rain for the beginning of "real" autumn and rainlilies are showing off again.
First, here's the lovely pink Zephyranthes hybrid "Grandjax" (which I originally got from another Aussie Forumist, Ray Mills!
54128-0

54130-1
I think it's a cross between "Ajax" and Z. grandiflora.

Then the pinkish form of Habranthus tubispathus
54132-2

And Habranthus martinezii
54134-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »
Lovely stuff Fermi, I do like the rainlilies.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
The apricot coloured one is especially lovely.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
Yesterday I went on a (very expensive) visit to Hokonui Alpines near Gore and among many other things bought a pot of Zephranthes flavescens. I give this name a little cautiously as I off-loaded most of my plants at Susan More's house and will introduce them to my place when Roger's away from home. Anyway, the Zephranthes could be flavissima or something similar. It's smallish, with fine foliage and stem and a wide-open flower of deep golden yellow, a gorgeous thing. There was only one in flower which I left so Louise could get a photo of it and, silly me, I hadn't taken my own camera.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
Hi Fermi and Lesley:

Fermi, the one in your image of H. "martinezi" is not that species, but just another form of tubispathus. Please look at the "ostrich feather" shaped stigma arms, that are typical of tubispathus in all its color forms and not present in any other habranthus and zephyranthes. This can be clearly seen in your image. If you want the real thing send me your adress as fresh seeds are ready.

Lesley, Zephyranthes flavissima is an partly aquatic species, extinct in the wild. Except in summer, the plants gre in the wild in flooded ground in rive banks with some 10-20 cm of water permanently. You need a dish or something shallow with water to place the pot on. The species is a subtropical one and increases freely by offsets.

As for the admittedly short period of flowering of Rainlilies, this is not true in warm climates for plants growing in the ground or really large containers. We have many of them in 20 litre containers and their flowering season lasts from one to three whole months. This is a kind of bulb where the bonsai effect is particularly harmful. When we had our collection in 16 cm pots, they produced a single flush of flowers per year and that was all. But, they changed their behavious completely when moved to big containers.

Best regards 
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
Lesley, Zephyranthes flavissima is an partly aquatic species, extinct in the wild. Except in summer, the plants gre in the wild in flooded ground in rive banks with some 10-20 cm of water permanently. You need a dish or something shallow with water to place the pot on. The species is a subtropical one and increases freely by offsets.

Oh heck, and I was about to plant it on my hot, dry bank. Thanks for this information. If subtropical, maybe I should give it some frost protection too?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
Dear Lesley:

Although it would probably not freeze outside it will merely linger on, as opposed to thriving if given warm conditions.

I must add that it is evergreen, not losing the foliage even when it is dormant in summer.

Regards

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
Lesley,

This species is really pretty when in flower, but I must admit that I do get an occasional flush rather than growing them to perfection.  Mine are in small pots, so I might move them to larger pots, but they get treated just the same as everything else in pots and don't get extra watering or cold protection.  Interesting to hear that they are partially aquatic..... might see about moving mine to somewhere where I can water them more regularly.  Still, they will do reasonably without ideal conditions, but as Alberto says they won't "thrive".
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
Thank you both. I'll try for something warmer over the winter. I wonder if inside my kitchen would do, in a shallow bowl of water? I'll also pass along the information to my supplier, thanks.

Ezeiza

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2008, 12:14:11 AM »
Dear Lesley:

Are you familiar with USDA zones? If so, the plant comes from a zone 10 region in full sun in shallow river banks.

A greenhouse? A sunny window facing north? It will not die if grown under cooler conditions but you know, there is this difference between a happy plant and a ghost......

Best

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
But... sometimes somewhere in between teh two is perfectly acceptable.  If we only grew plants that were in their perfect conditions then we'd never bother to try anything new, and have a fraction of what we try to grow now.  If you only grow stuff that you know is in perfect conditions then to me you aren't really trying the full scope of possibilities!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »
Lesley i obtained a plant of  Z. flavissima over 12 months ago ,(from the same source as your recent purchase) ,and have kept it in its original pot .

I also treat it the same as Paul --ie no winter protection or additional watering.It survives okay and has increased in size but hasn't flowered this season which i put down to a lack of food/shady conditions.I'll also experiment with repotting and increased moisture levels..

In your slightly warmer climes ,(than mine), i'm pretty sure it will survive outside.

Cheers dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Ezeiza

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2008, 02:39:40 PM »
Hi Toolie:

The no flowering is product of the difference between zones 8 and 10.

Regards

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »
I'd expect Louise at Gore (from whom I bought it) would be in Zone 8 as well. Not sure. Certainly she has more frost, snow and general cold than I do (in Zone 9) but also more rain so it's likely she could grow it better than I anyway. We'll see. I'm sure it will be hardy here; it's just whether it will flower well. Time will tell and I'll post pics in due course. Thanks for so much advice about one small species.

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »
Don't forget I am still holding it hostage, so it might have to survive above the snow line.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal