We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage March 2008  (Read 48524 times)

Viola

Re: Flowers and foliage March 2008
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
Pulsatillas in my garden-Austria
Karl-Austria

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
Pulsatillas in my garden-Austria

Fantastic, Karl! I just want to reach out and stroke them - especially that gorgeous pink one.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »
Michael, I nearly missed your Primulas, you have some beautiful plants there.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Thanks David, you must pay attention in future. ;D ;D ;D

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
I am not sure that your Cyclamen creticum is correct - a lovely plant, but the flower looks to be the wrong shape.  Could be a hybrid.  What is the origin of the plant?

Arthur, it Probably is a hybrid as that particular group of plants are very promiscuous,and it is difficult to get the true plant.
That one was grown from my own seed so could have crossed with anything in the group. It is a very good one whatever it is and flowers like this every year. I have some seedlings from it so will be watching to see if  they come true . Meiklei has darker foliage and flowers about a week later, while this one is closer to the Repandum group.

Michael

Some of the hybrids are very colourful and very lovely, and your plant shows this very well.  I just wanted to make sure that the Galanthophile - Martin - did not think it was a coloured Creticum.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
Wonderful Pusatillas Karl and if Martin has the pink one I will take the P. slavica, the light coming through the hairs is beautiful.
Here are a few thing in flower now.
1  Ipheion Alberto Castillo
2  Ipheion Alberto Castillo detail
4 Hepatica Good Red grown from seed given to me by John Saxton from his Farrer medal plant. It had a very distracting backgroun so I removed it in Photoshop.
5 Erythronium albidum ssp mesochorum I grew from my own seed (fortunate since I lost the parent) I really love this Erythronium for its delicate markings and its diminutive stature of aabout 8-9cm
6 Erythronium albidum ssp mesochorum detail
7 Fritillaria hermonis amana (yellow) grwn from exchange seed. I must say I was surprised when it opened with such flaring petals.
8  Fritillaria hermonis amana (yellow) detail
9 Scilla reverchonii again, grown from exchange seed. I'm very fond of the Scillas generally band was not disappointed by this one.
10 Scilla reverchonii detail
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

art600

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
Karl

Your Pulsatillas are wonderful - hope there are more
Arthur Nicholls

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
Michael
Some of the hybrids are very colourful and very lovely, and your plant shows this very well.  I just wanted to make sure that the Galanthophile - Martin - did not think it was a coloured Creticum.

I'm afraid to say I did think it was a (fantastic) pink creticum. Although I still get the Cyclamen Society journal I'm afraid I don't pay as much attention to the latest ins and outs of the cyclamen world as I used to, and I'm easily taken by surprise by new developments and discoveries. I haven't grown creticum for many years, having lost all my seed-raised ones in a hard winter (remember those?) so I just assumed that there must be some pink creticum around now, thanks to new collections, new colour breaks or whatever.

I should concentrate more instead of just swooning over amazing forum pics!   :-\
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

art600

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »
John

An excellent selection of some of my favourite flowers.  Particularly like the Erythronium - not one I have grown.
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
Michael

I'm afraid to say I did think it was a (fantastic) pink creticum. Although I still get the Cyclamen Society journal I'm afraid I don't pay as much attention to the latest ins and outs of the cyclamen world as I used to, and I'm easily taken by surprise by new developments and discoveries. I haven't grown creticum for many years, having lost all my seed-raised ones in a hard winter (remember those?) so I just assumed that there must be some pink creticum around now, thanks to new collections, new colour breaks or whatever.

I should concentrate more instead of just swooning over amazing forum pics!   :-\

Martin

I would not know so much about Snowdrops without the assistance of you and other knowledgeable Forumists.  As Membership Secretary for the Cyclamen Society I should expect to know a little about the genus.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:41:26 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »
Arthur,you have just let the cat out of the bag.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »
beautiful plants!

another one

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
Rafa,

Do tell  more. Is this in the wild?

Beautiful blue, fabulous.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »
hello Paddy,

no, this is in the bulb frame. This species don't grow in Spain, here there are just Gladiolus communis (G. communis subsp.
byzantinus, G. communis subsp. communis, G. communis subsp. illyricus), G. italicus, G. illyricus, G. dubius, G. reuteri and  G. tristis, but this escaped from the gardens.

Note: JAJAJJAJAJAJAJJAJA (translation: HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA) Sorry, I hadn't notice that funny title that you have granted me! I feel honoured!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:19:36 AM by Rafa »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
Rafa,

Great Gladiolus!!  Love those species!!

John F,

Fantastic pics as always.  The Erythronium albidum in particular is just beautiful.  Haven't seen that variety before as I recall, nor that Fritillaria which is amazing!!

Karl,

Those Pulsatillas are glorious!!  The deep coloured one is striking, and that lovely clear pink.  Not seen either of those before.  Beautiful!!  :D

Thanks all for posting!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal