We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 224030 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
The new machines made good progress, uncovering large areas which had become overgrown with small trees.

My next project will be to see which plant species re-colonize these areas.

The drawback with clearing Rhododendron is that re-growth needs to be treated with brushwood herbicide.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:45:55 PM by ian mcdonald »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Ian,

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what appears in the "worked over" sites over time.

It is amazing what one can do with telemetry units these days. One can get the component on the internet for very low prices now. Some are already pre-programed and there is no need to learn computer code, although this is still helpful.

"Terrible" weather here in California. No outing for me either. This is actually good news! We are getting much needed precipitation with low snow levels. I guess we will have "winter" in late February and March. It will not hurt if this weather continues into April and even May. We shall see.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

ian mcdonald

« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
A mixed day today with sun at first then dull with a cold wind. The archimedes screw is still not working. The main track is flooded and impassable. I met another Naturalist and went with him to count adders. More than 20 were seen in sheltered areas. A group of 35 whooper swans flew in and landed on a pool. A small tortoishell was seen basking in the early sun. Several marsh harriers were hunting low down. As dusk was falling we waited to see if there was any sign of Short Eared Owls. We saw two, one was hunting quite near us but the low light level made it difficult for a good photo. A couple of Roe deer were seen. Birds were, kestrel, buzzard, marsh harriers, stonechat, reed bunting, mallard, grey lag geese, whooper swans, gadwall, shoveler, short eared owl, black headed gulls, wood pigeons, heron, pheasant, blue tit, long tailed tit, and crows. A Red Kite was seen before I arrived.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:34:55 PM by Maggi Young »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

GordonT

« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »
Is that an adder? :o
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
Yes Gordon, we saw about 24 yesterday. They are in sheltered areas under birch trees.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
Today started out warm and sunny. By mid-afternoon a cold wind started and grey clouds came over making it feel like winter again. The new pump is still not working and there seems no haste in repairing it by the drainage board engineers. Much of the site is now not reachable without waders or a boat. Coltsfoot is more prominent along the tracks that are passable. Another Naturalist recorded more than 40 adders due to the warm early sun. I had a good close view of a male hen harrier. Several marsh harriers were present along with two buzzards and a kestrel. There is so much water that the usual black headed gull colony are struggling to find nesting sites. I heard a first chiff chaff for this year and also a willow warbler. A redshank was heard but not seen. Other birds were, reed buntings, linnets, carrion crows, wren, robin, shoveler, mallards, teal, gadwall, tufted duck, grey lag geese, canada geese, kestrel, lapwings, great tit, long tailed tit, pheasant, chaffinch, water rail, and stonechat.

A large fly which I photographed has now been identified as Tachina ursina. Perhaps I should take up Entomology.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:59:19 PM by ian mcdonald »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »
Is that hare's tail cottongrass in your last photo Ian?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
Yes Ashley.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #384 on: April 06, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Yesterday was warm and sunny, for a change. The water levels are still rising due to the Archimedes screw still not working. Strange that the Archimedes Screw was invented 2,000 years ago and modern engineers cannot make them carry out the task they were invented for. Ours seems to be a White Elephant. There is so much water on the main track that frogs have laid frog-spawn along the side. Also seen were three small fish, swimming along the track. I think they may be Bullheads. Birds were many and varied. At least seven buzzards were seen and several marsh harriers. Sparrow hawk and kestrel were hunting. I saw two red deer stags along one track and further on Green Tiger Beetles were on another track. Three pairs of Goosander were on a small lake. A peacock butterfly was feeding on willow flowers which are full of pollen now. Bees were also present. Brimstone butterflies were showing for the first time this year. Several Chiff Chaff and a Willow Warbler were calling from bushes. A Bittern was heard in the distance. I noticed two swallows flying over, the first time I have seen them this year. A Water Rail was heard "squeaking" from a ditch. I saw a Short Eared Owl hunting in one area. As I was leaving I noticed Sweet Violets by the track.

Frog spawn by the track side.

Bullhead? on the flooded track. Below and left of the large stone.

Flooded track.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:47:50 PM by ian mcdonald »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #385 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »

A Peacock feeding on willow flowers.

Shelduck on one of the lakes.

Sweet violets by a track.

Birds recorded were, sparrow hawk, reed bunting, kestrel, buzzard, marsh harrier, grey lag geese, mallard, teal, linnet, stonechat, crow, wren, blackbird, shoveler, pheasant, goosander, tufted duck, chaffinch, robin, bittern, moorhen, chiff chaff, long tailed tit, great tit, wood pigeon, swallow, water rail, willow warbler, blue tit, shelduck, great spotted woodpecker, short eared owl, skylark, meadow pipit, redshank, crane, coot and gadwall.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #386 on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »
Ian,

I enjoyed the photograph of the Peacock butterfly.  8)

A few days ago I heard a Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) in Eldorado National Forest. It is our largest North American Woodpecker. Although this species has a widespread range in North America, it is uncommon. Given the loss of habitat it may be going on the same route as the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principals).
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

ian mcdonald

« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »
Today it was misty and cold, warmer weather forecast for next week. I went to look at how the water is discharged from the main drain into the nearby river. There are two sluices which allow the water in the drain to discharge into the river when the water in the river is lower than that in the drain. I saw several swallows and a house martin in one area. A little further along the path I noticed a grey lag goose crouching down on its nest to keep a lower profile. Two willow warblers were seen and heard calling. A bittern was calling from not far away but as usual not seen. Two common snipe flew up not far from the path and a pair of stonechat were seen in a bush. Several female and one male marsh harriers were hunting low. A buzzard was also hunting and a great spotted woodpecker was seen landing on a large willow tree. As I was leaving a roe deer walked across the track. Birds today were, mallard, grey lag geese, teal, blackbird, willow warbler, bittern, shoveler, pheasant, common snipe, stonechat, lapwing, marsh harrier, swallow, house martin, reed bunting, robin, coot, moorhen, wood pigeon, meadow pipit, black headed gulls, crow, chaffinch, canada goose, buzzard, great spotted woodpecker and a roe deer.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:24 PM »

Grey lag goose keeping low on its nest.

Old teasel heads.

Mosses and lichens on elderberry bush.

Great spotted woodpecker.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #389 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Today was sunny with the temperatures in the high 60s. The new pump has still not been fixed.  Will it ever be? Blackcaps are now here with a good number singing from bushes. Willow warblers are fairly common and chiff chaffs are busy feeding. On a track I saw several plants of Luzula campestris or Field Wood Rush. Another name for this tiny plant is Good Friday Grass, owing to its flowering time. A Missel Thrush was singing from a wood and a Cettis Warbler gave out a loud song just a few feet away. This small bird has a very loud voice. Two roe deer were seen, one just a short distance away in a wood edge. Butterflies seen were Large White, Brimstone and Peacock. It was good to get away from houses and people for a day. Just before I left I heard my first Cuckoo of the year. Birds recorded today were, blackbird, marsh harrier, buzzard, reed bunting, willow warbler, crane,chiff chaff, cettis warbler, grey lag geese, pheasant, blackcap, magpie, wren, black headed gulls, crow, chaffinch, missel thrush, stock dove, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, mallard, teal, gadwall, goosander, linnet, lapwing, moorhen, coot, cuckoo, water rail and swallow. A couple of diving beetles were also noted.

Diving beetle.

Luzula campestris.

Roe deer.

Buzzard in sillhouette.

A dry wood.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal