We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in November 2016  (Read 11702 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Galanthus in November 2016
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Galanthus cilicicus
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »
'Remember Remember' is one of the earliest of the Hiemalis Group elwesiis.  I bought mine from the Glen Chantry sales table at the first AGS snowdrop event so just short of three years ago and it has bulked-up well since (I have another small group elsewhere).  In the previous two years it has managed to flower in time for the 5th November - but not this year.  The scapes are very long and I've heard criticism that they tend to flop but I've not had any real problems with this.  Anyway, we put-up with all sorts of plants that do need some support so I would advise anyone considering this snowdrop not to be put-off.

Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
I bought 'Else Grollenberg' from its originator, Wim Postema, earlier this year and so far I have been very impressed.  The bulbs were huge for a snowdrop and they are producing multiple 'noses'.  I only have one flower so far but more to come.  It's a larger flower with long narrow outer petals.  By the way, the netting you can see is to prevent squirrels trying to bury their nuts in my pots.

Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
This is an unnamed Hiemalis Group elwesii that generally flowers in December - but this one decided to come early.  I have grown it for quite a few years now and and it has proven quite prolific.  Unfortunately I have lost track of where it came from originally; it could be one of several that I have bought as unnamed early snowdrops over the years since 2002.

Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
Here after two weeks of winter in the beginning of November the snow has now melted and last ten days were above freezing. Yesterday I noticed both 'Cambridge' and 'Tilebarn Jamie' showing their nosed above ground. Too late, because from tomorrow on the weather forecast says it will be below freezing again as long as it shows. December is supposed to be colder than normal here this year. Let's just hope those snowdrops stop to grow for now and continue in the spring. :)
Leena from south of Finland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
Fly Fishing is about a week away from opening.

That didn't happen. We've just had a week of -4 to -7c. N Ireland just had its coldest nights in 2016
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:09 PM »
The first elwesii to bloom in my garden this autumn. It is from a bulk order from 2015 and opened very early last year and on our wedding anniversary, November 5 this year. While it is un-named, my garden name while it proves itself is Mayfair Chapel which is the venue of our wedding.

What a fun group of plants.
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
I visited a garden nearby that had bought a bulk order of galanthus elwesii.  They had two that were early flowering like yours, Rick.  In principle these need some USP to merit a name although they keep cropping-up.  The latest here is 'Blue Octopus' from Matt bishop.  I have yet to see even a picture of that one.

Do you grow 'Standing Tall', distributed by Carolyn Walker?  That has the merit of being unusually marked but I would like to know where it fits in the schedule of early-flowering snowdrops.   
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
Yes, Alan, agree fully that this one is nice enough, but not distinctive or unusual, so it will remain unnamed unless it continues to be earlier than all of the other named early elwesii that I grow, then it may still remain unnamed, but I will send it around for testing in other geographic locations if that trait persists.

I did acquire 'Standing Tall' a couple of years ago and have not seen it nose up yet. I will try to notice the timing. My 'Remember Remember' is close to opening up, likely in the next few days.

Rick

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Anything that can flower before 'Remember Remember' is impressive.  But flowering time can be very dependent on location.  I have 'Peter Gatehouse' scattered around my garden and the flowering times in the different locations can be weeks apart. 
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
This simple G.r.o. no name variety has been in bloom since October 23 which is presently the earliest bloomer in my garden and is still going November 29 in one location.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
This is G. 'Peter Gatehouse' which first opened in my garden on November 18.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Last but not least, actually G. 'Barnes' is probably my favorite autumn bloomer so far and it began its bloom this year on November 9, and is still looking fresh today.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
Great to see what's happening with your 'drops, Rick.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »
Thank you, Maggie! I have a new computer and it is taking me a while to figure out how to size photos with the new photo editor. Do these seem to be showing up as right sized for the Forum?

Any autumn drops gracing your garden today?

Best,

Rick

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal