We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Death of Marcus Harvey in Tasmania  (Read 9928 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Death of Marcus Harvey in Tasmania
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:22:39 AM »
Today our world is made a lot sadder by hearing of the loss of our dear friend Marcus Harvey.
Otto phoned me this morning to say he'd heard from Susan via Jacqui to say that Marcus passed away last night in hospital from complications from treatment for cancer.
Marcus had a sharp and clear mind about plants and collecting; he had a "fire in the belly" about topics which concerned him and he has voiced his concerns about the restrictions on the movement of plants/seeds/bulbs over the past few years on these pages.
Through his business "Hillview Rare Plants" he disseminated new and rare plants as bulbs and seeds and divisions throughout our region. He travelled extensively and we benefitted from those travels by his stories and the seeds he was able to bring back.
He is sorely missed,
Vale Marcus, true plantsman and bulb aficionado 
rest in peace
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: Death of Marcus Harvey in Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:53 AM »
This is very sad news.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 06:55:35 AM »
Very sad news about Marcus. Well said Fermi.

He was generous with his bulbs, wild-collected seed and knowledge.  There are many gardens in Australia growing some wonderful specimens thanks to Marcus, mine included. He will live on through those plants; gone but not forgotten.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:16:27 PM by Maggi Young »
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »
Adding comments from the Crocus thread....

Pity, but must to start this month with very sad news. Yesterday died my very long time friend Marcus Harvey from Tasmania, Australia. Just got mail from Otto Fauser that Marcus lost in his battle with cancer. He was very great nurseryman, may be the largest in Tasmania, introduced a lot of new bulbs through his nursery. Not so long ago Marcus sent me some pictures for my book and just from him I got several rare forms of crocuses lost in Europe but still grown in his nursery. During his seed collecting trips to Greece, Turkey - he always remembered about me and sent me good amounts of seeds and few corms from various Crocus species and later, next year I want to name one of such crocuses which turned new species after him (it will be published in Supplement of my book, which will be later sent to everyone purchaser of THE WORLD OF CROCUSES free of charge).

This is very sad news. Marcus supplied an excellent range of seeds, was generous with his packeting and advice and was a wonderful chap. I received many Crocus seeds from him in recent years, some of them very special plants difficult to find elsewhere and all of which have germinated and grown well. These plants will be a memento of a great plantsman. It is very appropriate that Marcus should   be honoured with a Crocus named after him. Marcus was also a prolific and gifted writer, blogging in his Notes and Ramblings in an inimitable style about his travails in Greece and elsewhere. He will be missed by many across the world and thoughts are with his family and friends.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:42:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Marcus in person but we corresponded by email. My loss. He had so much knowledge and that is lost now. I have some very healthy little onco irises growing in my nursery, the seed gifted to me by Marcus, because he recognised my passion and my enthusiasm and related to it, cultivated it. I appreciated that more than i can say, as i appreciate all of your knowledge and wisdom.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
oh my what sad news, I will never thank him enough for his valuable details of remote areas in Greece.
North of France

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
Sad new indeed,I have lots of bulbs from Marcus and used to send him Hepatica seed.I was very shocked at the news as I was not aware that he was ill.

Parsla

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »
Dear Michael, I believe I have some  plants from the hepatica seed you sent Marcus. He provided seedlings and said the seed came from Ireland. They are treasured in my garden.

He really loved the bulbs and I will be forever grateful for his time and generosity in passing on his knowledge. He kindly introduced me to Otto (for which I am eternally grateful) and to these pages, and offered encouragement  to a total novice to grow exotics from seed ( actually his words were that he bullied me into it) :)

Unlike Janis, I really only knew him well for a couple of years - but there was no escape - he had a way of drawing one into his thrall that couldn't be ignored.

Marcus had a lot to give, and gave it in generous measure.  Along with affection, humour, sense and honesty.  A special and gifted plantsman without whose contribution Australian plantophiles would be very much the poorer.

Vale Marcus, and especial love to Susan, Joan, and family.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
Well said Fermi, a great loss :'(. We got to know him quite well over the years, he stayed with us a couple of times and we still have 'Marcus's Corner' in the bulb rockery.
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
Marcus  fought a long and difficult battle with his illness and his  bravery  was inspiring.  His loss will  not only be felt by his family and closest friends but by all those who were customers of his nursery, or who read his passionate and very entertaining Blogs, who followed his posts here in the forum - as Hillview Croconut -in short, he was not someone who ever, I believe, failed to impact upon those who came in contact with him in any way.

We can only send fond condolences to his loved ones and recognise that we have lost a most remarkable plantsman.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Parsla

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »
Beautifully said Maggie,
There are several other tributes in the crocus thread...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »
Beautifully said Maggie,
There are several other tributes in the crocus thread...
Thanks, I have moved them here.

A lovely  tribute from Jamus Stonor, part of Facebook tributes to Marcus -

557242-0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
From  Laurence Hill of Fritillaria Icones, on Facebook .....

This image is a tribute to Marcus Harvey, a great nurseryman who will be remembered through the thousands of plants grown by his friends across the world.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
Very sad to hear - even though I only knew Marcus from this Forum, or especially because of this for the way it brings such passionate plants-people closer together. It's the same feeling as the loss of Jim Archibald, who had such a profound presence in this valuable milieu that connects botanical exploration and horticulture. And he lived in Tasmania, a place that holds abiding memories for me. I must read back through some of his blogs...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »
A nice Colchicum neapolitanum var macranthum I got from Marcus a few years ago.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal