We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spikeys Listing  (Read 7501 times)

Rick Goodenough

Re: Spikeys Listing
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
That's what I have it as.  I'm sure it's right.
Excellent...thank you. I will update list. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
You can add Samantha to yor list
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
Samantha
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »
Samantha

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »
You can add Samantha to your list
I will load it in now! Thank you very much...great to see the pics of this one as I am not familiar with it. Looks to be nearly all white.
Rick

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:49 PM »
Immature doubles often appear spikey, or more spikey than their mature form.  So if you see something that you think might have the makings of a spikey double it's particularly important to observe it for a few years.
Alan, I missed this earlier today. Great point for all of us who may happen onto such a find. Thank you.

Rick

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Also 'Mrs Tiggywinkle'
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
I was unsure whether 'Bagpuize Virginia' fitted into this category, in my head it is not spiky so I googled it and certainly the photographs seem to suggest it does not fit into F2.

I was interested to see 'Samantha' Emma, I still have the label.... ???  Is Davey still about?

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »
I was unsure whether 'Bagpuize Virginia' fitted into this category, in my head it is not spiky so I googled it and certainly the photographs seem to suggest it does not fit into F2.

I was interested to see 'Samantha' Emma, I still have the label.... ???  Is Davey still about?
Thank you, Brian. I will remove 'Bagpuize Virginia' and add 'Davey' as a placeholder until we learn more about its existence. And I have intentionally left off 'Mrs Tiggywinkle' as it has been determined to be included in the F1.category of "Intermediate Doubles" within the Monograph which on P. 120 defines F1 as "constant" as opposed to the F2 which "are not". I sense the need to get further elaboration on that distinction though context would suggest the flowers on immature F1 are essentially the same as appears on mature plants and the F2s have more variability in morphology as they move from immature to mature. I would welcome more education on the distinction.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
I will remove 'Bagpuize Virginia' and add 'Davey' as a placeholder until we learn more about its existence.

Sorry to confuse you Rick, Davey was a forum member who named 'Samantha' so better remove his name from the list!

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
Sorry to confuse you Rick, Davey was a forum member who named 'Samantha' so better remove his name from the list!
Laughing now. Brian, that is a good joke on me. Will remove...so sorry Davey, no Spikey by your name just yet! Rick

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on 'Funny Justine' as a spikey or not?

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
Definitely not ;)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »
...Davey was a forum member who named 'Samantha' ....
...  Is Davey still about?

Davey was (I presume) forum member 'Daveyp1970'.  He was both a keen snowdrop collector and a snowdrop hunter who distributed several that he found himself.  There was one (informally) called 'Davey's Nice' that got spread around a bit.  I met him to speak to for the first and last time at the Harvey's Sale in 2014.  But, apparently, later that year he moved to a flat so had to give-away his snowdrop collection.  We swapped snowdrops at that meeting but I subsequently lost two that he gave me, including 'Darlton Early', which I would very much like for my Early Snowdrop collection.  If anyone still has that, please let me know.  None of the ones I had from him were spikeys, Rick. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:29:03 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

Haven't heard from him for years :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal