We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula zoysii  (Read 4281 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Campanula zoysii
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Campanula zoysii has now been reclassified as Favratia zoysii?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Campanula zoysii
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
Seems to be, according to the Kew Plant list .. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-366731
 I defer to Diane Clement on such matters as a rule - she is one smart cookie - so if she says so, I go with that.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

GordonT

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:02:55 PM »
It is listed on the IUCN Redlist,  theplantlist and hortipedia now as a synonym for Favratia. It seems that it is now in the monotypic genus Favratia. Here is another page that seems to hint that not everyone accepts the revision https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Favratia
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:28:48 PM »
You'd feel a bit miffed if you got "NAS"'d for entering it in a section for Campanula at a Show! :o
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
The Plant list is many times left behind new publications and not reliable as the only source for name changes. The Italians also kept is as C. zoysii.
http://www.actaplantarum.org/flora/flora_info.php?id=1549&pid=-1&p=1

For unresolved/in revision case the name to use can be a personal choice; when in doubt you can write the species with both: name, followed by (the most) accepted synonim.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »
You'd feel a bit miffed if you got "NAS"'d for entering it in a section for Campanula at a Show! :o
 ;D
cheers
fermi

I know Fermi very miffed!!!! Hence the question really

Dionysia

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
When the same scenario occurred with Trachelium/Campanula asperuloides both were accepted for a while at, least for AGS shows. This changed when the 2013 AGS Exhibitor's Newsletter expressly stated that plants would no longer be accepted in Campanula classes.
Despite this some were and although incorrect labeling does not in itself lead to an NAS, if they are no longer eligible for the specific class entered, it does. As Fermi says this is really only an issue with Campanula and Campanulaceae excluding Campanula classes. However it does show a lack of attention to detail when the correct name has been specifically brought to the attention of exhibitors. Although a recent AGS article by Robert Rolfe stated that Campanula zoysii has now been transferred to Favratia there has been no specific warning to exhibitors so I feel both would be accepted at the moment. I think this situation would be specific to AGS shows as SRGC exhibitors could not be deemed to have read an AGS Exhibitor's Newsletter unless they were also an AGS exhibitor.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
the Campanula phylogeny is such a mess that they shouldn't be so strict with including or excluding some species from the Campanula classes.
The genus Campanula is really not monophylletic, many many genus are still included in the campanula tree. Exluding Trachelium from Campanula or accepting Fravratia would lead to restrict the true campanula to few species. Beeing too laxed with the definition of campanula genus would lead to merge some well know genus (Legousia, Phyteuma, Adenophora... ) in Campanula...
Have a look at these phylogenic trees : http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0050076
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:52:56 AM by Karaba »
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Dionysia

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
Whilst this may well be true it is only one of many occasions where species switch genera. Very few exhibitors are botanists and we are guided/instructed by show directors and committees as to what is their interpretation of recent developments so as not to make the whole thing unworkable.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Martin Sheader

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 11:08:23 AM »
And, for show purposes, in which class would you bench Brian Burrow's Cantata - a C. pulla x C. zoysii hybrid?

Martinr

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
My own personal opinion is that C zoysii will still be a Campanula at AGS shows for the time being, never does to be too hasty with these taxonomic pronouncements! Unless of course those with greater knowledge persuade me otherwise.

Martin, unless I'm being dumb a Campanula x Campanula is still a Campanula but would not be eligible in a class which specifies species only or a geographic class, unless of course it is a natural hybrid.

I'll probably regret dipping my toe in this water :P

Dionysia

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »
Yes Martin R but if zoysii is regarded as Favratia then Cantata becomes a bigeneric hybrid and as such wouldn't be eligible for Campanula or Campanulaceae excluding Campanula classes (because of the pulla side). Are you of the opinion that either name is acceptable in the short term or just Campanula?
Paul
 in Chippenham

Martinr

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
My opinion is that, for the moment, it is still Campanula which gets rid of all the other complications and allows my head to stay firmly buried in the bucket of sand for at least a year ;)

Dionysia

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
That's essentially all that is necessary. A lot of switches are subject to different opinions even among botanists. All we need are the judgments of those in positions of authority to which we may adhere.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal