We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New slug control  (Read 1582 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
New slug control
« on: January 02, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
Has anyone tried this new slug and snail control?
http://www.grazers.co.uk/products/gardens-allotments/g2-slugs-snails/
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Martinr

Re: New slug control
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
mmmmmm...begs the questions 1)what is it? and 2) how does it work?. Website appears waffly and cuddly and doesn't tell you what the active ingredients are. I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm sceptical ???

Carolyn

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »

I haven't tried Grazers, but this year I am trying Strulch, which is a mineralised straw mulch. I have just started to put it on all the areas where I have hostas or cardiocrinums. I will soon know if it is effective at deterring slugs. It will help keep down the weeds anyway, so it could be a winner in two ways!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
mmmmmm...begs the questions 1)what is it? and 2) how does it work?. Website appears waffly and cuddly and doesn't tell you what the active ingredients are. I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm sceptical ???
Grazers contains calcium chloride solution - 10% CaO+0.1% UN65 and other ingredients in a ready to use solution with water

Looks like its based on Calcium - might give it a try this year on my dahlias as it is not that expensive
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:25:26 AM »
Having cultivated snails for many years and fed them properly I don't have so many slugs in my garden that they can do any harm. Snails eat the eggs of slugs and extinct them this way. The only problem is that they have to be fed. They prefer limp leaves, if they have enough of it, they never eat living ones. But if the garden is perfectly "clean" they eat everything they can get.
Who understands German can also read it here: https://www.nabu.de/umwelt-und-ressourcen/oekologisch-leben/balkon-und-garten/gartentipps/00546.html
That's the page of the German Association for nature and environment.

Hannelore

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
I think Which Gardening? carried out tests on snail and slug controls and found that using Grazers INCREASED slug damage! The article referred to in the Daily Telegraph also suggests that slugs prefer plants that are high in calcium!
I wish I could find an effective control Anne, I have a large collection of Hostas, and since liquid slug clear has been taken of the market, they have really suffered

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
Have ordered some to experiment with. Thanks for your responses. Hope it works!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

John85

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
You could try spraying with caffeine
Spraying with absinth"tea" is also efficient but of course easier to do in spring or summer when there are plenty of leaves available

Cfred72

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
You could try spraying with caffeine
Spraying with absinth"tea" is also efficient but of course easier to do in spring or summer when there are plenty of leaves available

How do you make this famous "absinthe tea"? How do you apply it? How long is the treatment effective?
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal