We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 11209 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
No colourful flowering here but for once a sunny albeit windy day. That was last Sunday. Yesterday we got snow for the first time this winter but it was above 0C so it melted in a day. Today it is a northwesterly storm with hail.

Sunday we made a walk to an abandoned farm. Nothing is left of this farm except a lot of stone walls. A few houses near by are still used - some as cabins.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:59:24 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

Re: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
A few more pictures. The boat house is still standing by the fjord.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by Hoy »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:33:19 AM »
The moss-covered stone walls are great looking Trond; would be nice to find to buy stones with already established moss on them.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
I was thinking the same Trond. Are these abandoned rocked available to be used elsewhere? I'm sure you could think of various good ways to use them. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
We have hundreds, if not thousands, of miles with such stone fences and walls. Most of them are not in use any more except as old boundaries. I do not think anybody trade them. People seem to prefer new stones or concrete blocks for walls and fences. On the other hand, if you ask the owners, I am sure you can buy such rocks!

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
Trond,

What beautiful moss rocks!

The only action in our garden at this time is the mess. The first of several major storms came through last night. There was some snow up at the farm too. I will be spending 2 weeks at the farm starting tomorrow, then I will have a better idea what is going on up there. Most likely a stormy mess too. This type of stormy, wet weather is "normal" for the wintertime in our part of California. Good news after too many years of drought conditions. There will be many mossy rocks in our shaded north facing canyons, but nothing that approaches the beauty of the rocks in your countryside.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
Trond, it must be a wet place with so many mosses there. It has been fairly cold here but no wind. Today is my birthday and I have spent it in the house. Too cold to be outside for long. I have not been to the local patch for a couple of weeks. One way to invite mosses into the garden is to "paint" rocks with cold rice pudding or similar.

Hoy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
Trond,

What beautiful moss rocks!

The only action in our garden at this time is the mess. The first of several major storms came through last night. There was some snow up at the farm too. I will be spending 2 weeks at the farm starting tomorrow, then I will have a better idea what is going on up there. Most likely a stormy mess too. This type of stormy, wet weather is "normal" for the wintertime in our part of California. Good news after too many years of drought conditions. There will be many mossy rocks in our shaded north facing canyons, but nothing that approaches the beauty of the rocks in your countryside.

Robert,

A lot of people dislike moss (and lichen and algae) and strive to remove it  :-\

We too had a gale yesterday and also lightening and thunder. A couple of houses were hit and a few trees fell down but no casualities. Nothing happened in my garden.

Hoy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
Trond, it must be a wet place with so many mosses there. It has been fairly cold here but no wind. Today is my birthday and I have spent it in the house. Too cold to be outside for long. I have not been to the local patch for a couple of weeks. One way to invite mosses into the garden is to "paint" rocks with cold rice pudding or similar.

ian,

Happy birthday :)

Although moss thrives here it is due to high humidity and not very high precipitation (well, not very high compared to the wettest places (more than 3000mm/year) near by).

I think any organic matter you apply to the rocks will do! Furthermore I have no rice pudding ;)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Ian,

Yes, Happy Birthday!  :)

Hopefully the weather will improve and you can get out to the "local patch" soon.

Trond,

I arrived at the farm this morning to a soggy wet mess. It is great!  8)  8)  8)  Maybe we will have the end of drought conditions for awhile. So far there has been about 585mm of precipitation here at the farm. This is a little bit above average for this date. The next storm, to arrive this weekend, is expected to drop 250mm of precipitation in our area (the farm, not the Sacramento Valley, there less). Flooding is excepted and a flood warning is being issued. There are two more wet storms expected after this next one. The farm is safe on high ground, except down by a seasonal creek - which is also the only road out! One more reason I have all-wheel-drive. There is a much greater threat of flooding at our Sacramento home. We have to hope the levees do not break. The American and Sacramento Rivers are already running high from this last storm. If 250mm do indeed fall in the Sierra Nevada watershed there will most likely be a level failure and flooding somewhere. The question is where? Stay tuned.

We also had a trace of snow at the farm the other day. It is long gone. A place like Peavine Ridge most likely has 5 feet (approx. 1.6m) of snow now. Just like the "old days".  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
Always a sign that the year has turned, two of my favourites. N. romieuxii and Hammamelis mollis pallida. Only trouble is now the Hammamelis is getting too tall for me to catch the scent.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Cfred72

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
The predicted rain that combines with the frost, gives

559193-0

559195-1

559197-2

559199-3
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:57:50 PM by Cfred72 »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Cfred72

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
559201-0

559203-1

559205-2

559207-3
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Carolyn

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
Beautiful ice forms, Fred!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

ian mcdonald

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »
It is many years since we had such images, nice to see Fred.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal