We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow Snowdrops  (Read 55841 times)

Carsten

Re: Yellow Snowdrops
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »
Here is the happy buyer of Galanthus nivalis 'Schwelfelfee'. I got it from Andreas Händel last year and he told me, that ist was found at the Elbe river. No more details, I´am afraid. Some pics of the plant and of a very tiny offspring...
The flower seems to be very much like 'Spindlestone Surprise' but the mark is more like an inverted V not an U.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:01:19 PM by carstens »
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »
Thanks, Carsten - I hoped you would help!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »
Michael Myers showed G. nivalis  'Blonde Inge ' at the AGS Loughborough show yesterday -  looking very good in his pic and indeed it was awarded  a Preliminary Commendation by the Joint Rock Committee.(RHS, AGS, SRGC).

Joint Rock Committee awards are given to plants "for exhibition".

607523-0

Mariette

« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
Here is the happy buyer of Galanthus nivalis 'Schwelfelfee'. I got it from Andreas Händel last year and he told me, that ist was found at the Elbe river. No more details, I´am afraid. Some pics of the plant and of a very tiny offspring...
The flower seems to be very much like 'Spindlestone Surprise' but the mark is more like an inverted V not an U.

Thank You, Carsten, for these details  - Maggi was obviously swifter than me. It´s a pity Andreas Händel doesn´t offer this snowdrop on his list, I´ll ask him to sell it at Knechtsteden next year!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #259 on: March 12, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
Michael Myers showed G. nivalis  'Blonde Inge ' at the AGS Loughborough show yesterday -  looking very good in his pic and indeed it was awarded  a Preliminary Commendation by the Joint Rock Committee.(RHS, AGS, SRGC).

Joint Rock Committee awards are given to plants "for exhibition".

(Attachment Link)
Well done, Michael!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #260 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
I have been asked to pass this on by another collector (and obviously a lurker) of repute:

I’d like to ask you kindly to tell Johnralphcarpenter that king-radio is the user name of Christopher Brierley on eBay. I lost his recent auction on ‘Rushmere  Green’*) by ranking on second position. As I bought  five ‘drops from him since 2012, he knows me well, he immediately gave me a second chance at the price of my last bid.
His wife’s uuser name on eBay is queen_carol (Carol Brierley). On occasion of having bought two ‘drops from her she told me
that her husband would rather favour to sell Roman coins.
 I need to say tha this couple is very communicative, generous and is selling ‘drops of very good quality.

So all is pukka with this seller.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #261 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
So to be clear Maggie, do you disagree with anything here? If you do, which part and why? Bear in mind please that my sole interest is in encouraging people not to risk good money by careless accusations. I will assume whatever you say in reply can be taken as official SRGC policy.
If I  ever have occasion to state "official SRGC policy"  you can be sure I will say so at the time.

I am speaking personally, Steve

As we have seen previously, those who use  photos which are not their own  have been found to be less than scrupulous in other dealings and I, like others, have cautioned care in such cases.
 It is polite to give credit to another person if using their photos to make a sale and  might  calm some fears  for  some if that were to happen.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #262 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

I'm not a lawyer but I think people would be wise not to publicly label Ebay sellers as scammmers when they have no knowledge of them beyond the fact that they may have "borrowed" a picture to illustrate their sale. Some years back I sued my local cabbage-patch newspaper for libel; they lost and it cost them a great deal of money. The law of libel and slander applies to communities-of-interest like Scottish Rock as it does elsewhere. The same note of caution would apply to statements about nurserymen/women. Better to safeguard your money to buy plants.

Maggi will speak for herself.

I would disagree with one part of your post which, in my view, underplays the seriousness of the theft of someone else's pictures by your use of the word "borrowed". There seems to me to be a significant difference between "borrow" and "theft"  Even Ebay's Image Policy, see the extraction below, differentiates between pictures obtained from rights owners following proper request and those stolen.

"When creating listings, members should write their own description and take their own photos. Buyers like to see images and descriptions that accurately represent an item they are purchasing.
If you use text or an image that was created by someone else be sure that you have permission to use the text or image from the rights owner or creator."

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

sokol

« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2018, 05:38:16 AM »
I have found one yellow snowdrop with leaves like Galanthus plicatus within a group of other snowdrops. Is it possible to put a cultivar name to it?

607788-0

A group of yellow Galanthus lagodechianus, grown from seed.

607790-1

And the well known Galanthus Blonde Inge

607796-4
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
I have found one yellow snowdrop with leaves like Galanthus plicatus within a group of other snowdrops. Is it possible to put a cultivar name to it?

It is dangerous to attach cultivar name to a found snowdrop unless you know the names of ones that have been lost.  Most of the yellow plicatus snowdrops that I can think of have a larger mark on the inners, 'Madeleine' probably has the smallest with the most rounded top.  Or could it be a hybrid like 'Primrose Warburg' or 'Spindlestone Surprise'? 
Almost in Scotland.

David Lowndes

« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2018, 08:05:31 AM »
If I  ever have occasion to state "official SRGC policy"  you can be sure I will say so at the time.

As we have seen previously, those who use  photos which are not their own  have been found to be less than scrupulous in other dealings and I, like others, have cautioned care in such cases.
 It is polite to give credit to another person if using their photos to make a sale and  might  calm some fears  for  some if that were to happen.

There are strict copyright rules about this with regard to academic publications. A photograph constitutes intellectual property. Although internet sales are less formal Maggi is right to promote good practice - it’s more than just polite really.

David Lowndes

« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
Sokol, Are your lagodechianus pure bred, no possibility of hybridisation?  I find lagodechianus an attractive species which grows well for me. I have never encountered a yellow version, unsurprisingly, but there is no reason why they should not exist. They look great!

David Lowndes

« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
I have been asked to pass this on by another collector (and obviously a lurker) of repute:

So all is pukka with this seller.

I should have said something earlier.  I have purchased from queen carol several times and had an entirely satisfactory experience and good quality snowdrops.

steve owen

« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »

Maggi, I'm not talking about using other peoples' photos without permission - I don't agree with that either. My concern is the use of the SRGC chat site by contributors to recklessly use words about others, such as "scammer", that could land the user in legal jeopardy and lose lots of money. I would have thought that as Moderator you would not only have found it easy to agree with my point but might have been expected to lead the warnings. That is why I asked you to state official SRGC policy about such reckless criticism of others, which has also applied to discussions about nurserymen. If you don't feel able to provide that advice, please point me to whoever in the SRGC leadership/management can. I repeat, the law of the land applies to the SRGC website as it does to all other forums of public comment.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Mariette

« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »

(Attachment Link)

A group of yellow Galanthus lagodechianus, grown from seed.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

And the well known Galanthus Blonde Inge

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Your yellow G. lagodechianus is gorgeous, Stefan! Last season there was a discussion about G. lagodechianus, as most people, like me, grow a clone which hardly ever flowers. Yours is not only especially beautiful, but obviously very floriferous, too. Congratulations!

Popped Your yellow one with plicatus-like leaves up as a chance seedling, or do You not know or remember the name of an acquired variety?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal