We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus February- 2017  (Read 28058 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus February- 2017
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
....... as last the darkest toned Crocus korolkowii ever seen by me. Although I never succeed artificially crossing korolkowii with michelsonii - it resembles hybrid, although both species at time of gathering seeds were placed in different greenhouses.
My goodness, what a colour that is!  Always something surprising among these beautiful crocus .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »
Crocus x chrysanthus 'Phoebe' in today's brilliant & warm sunshine.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
Another surprise seedling flowered today.  Pictured below are the two yellow flowered plants that have arisen from seed raised home collections of Crocus sieberi sl. 
Interestingly both can be traced back to the same collection made by Steve and Val Keeble in 2000 which was labelled Crocus sieberi ??ssp sublimis.

First picture is of the plant shown here recently, this time pictured in sunshine.  This one is raised from seed collected from the original collection.

Second and third pictures are plants one further generation removed from the original collection. 

Both were collected and sown in 2013.  To my eye the yellow influence comes from Crocus cvijicii, both the shade of yellow and the flower shape suggest this.

Hoping they show hybrid vigour and increase quickly  :D

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2017, 06:19:35 AM »
Identification of Greek "sieberi" are not very difficult
Leaves are without ribs (if ribs present - C. georgei)
Corm tunics coarse with long neck - atticus
                    coarse without neck   - athous
Corm tunics finely reticulate, throat glabrous -  nivalis
                                                 throat hairy   -  sublimis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
Identification of Greek "sieberi" are not very difficult
Leaves are without ribs (if ribs present - C. georgei)
Corm tunics coarse with long neck - atticus
                    coarse without neck   - athous
Corm tunics finely reticulate, throat glabrous -  nivalis
                                                 throat hairy   -  sublimis
Thanks Janis.  I am at the hospital now but on a dark rainy day the flowers are closed anyway.  I have brought the two yellow plants and some Crocus cvijicii with me in the car!!  I hope to repeat the cross using the purple flowered plants in pots with the yellow ..... we will see in a few years  :-\

I will do some checks at home on other plants of sieberi sl. when I  can. Sadly I do not have the original plants from the KKK collection any more but maybe in photos I will be able to check some details.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
On grey and overcast days they can be very nice too...

Crocus chrysanthus 'Charmer'
Crocus chrysanthus 'Rusne'
and Crocus tommasinianus 'Claret'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Philip Walker

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
C. corsicus

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
More on the conundrum of variability vs hybridity in the complex that was Crocus sieberi sl.

First a shot of another seed raising of Crocus sieberi sieberi that includes a form that has flowers coloured as Crocus sublimis Tricolor.  I have several seed raisings like this and while a seed mix-up might have happened once I am as certain as I can be that the repeated nature of this outcome reflects the ability of Crocus sieberi to hybridise with other plants now viewed as separate species rather than subspecies.

Second shot another suspicious variation.  The purple colour of one is typical of Crocus sieberi while the very nice one with markings at the petal tips has colouring more typical in sublimis/atticus.

Third picture, a riotous mixture of forms of Crocus sieberi from a single home produced accession.  None of my original sieberi plants have lilac purple ground colour, all are white with dark markings.  Janis has shown picture of wild plant with lilac ground colour so perhaps this colour break in my seedlings reflects the natural variability ... perhaps.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
My goodness, what a colour that is!  Always something surprising among these beautiful crocus .

I quite agree, Maggi - pure magic Janis is showing here !  :o :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
Passed very cold night. Outside temperature dropped to minus 9 C, in greenhouse "only" minus 6. Although morning part of day was sunny, temperature not raised much in greenhouse - maximum was only +4 a nd flowers still remained closed. So still only buds.
On first - view of one of crocus beds.
Then Crocus cyprius light form, in background more traditionally coloured individual
And as last two pictures of another "cyprian" - C. hartmannianus grown from wild collected seeds - first blooming on the 4th year after sawing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:42:52 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
In this entry only two crocuses
The first is C. reinhardii, collected last spring at another locality. The label at this stock was C. speciosus aff. as it was out of flowers at collecting time and I had notes about speciosus in this region.
Next one most likely C. reinhardii, too,. collected between 2 earlier known localities but at lower altitude and unusual colouring - another new-comer from 2016 collected without leaves but with very hard corm tunics.
And as last one more beauty of C. gembosii.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:41:55 PM by Janis Ruksans »

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
This one seems colourless on the outside...

Crocus tommasinianus 'Bobbo'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
Again outside snowing, but temperature is +1 C. For around half an hour was sun shining through clouds and I used moment for some pictures. Some were shown before in buds, but now at least half open flowers can be observed.
Crocus alerxandri from Greece
Then very strange and most likely new species from W Turkey - no one description match with it.
Now Crocus brickellii showing its beauty and 2 main features separating it from danfordiae - length of stigmatic branches and large yellow throat.
And last 2 in this entry Crocus crewei Hot Chocolate

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
In this entry I'm starting with Crocus fauseri, then follow
Unusual form of Crocus henrikii - if it would not be collected in wild - my opinion would be that it is hybrid. May be it really is hybrid, but another corm collected at same locality was C. mediotauricus. So it could be another parent, or occasionally C. henrikii has black anthers. Not a great surprise as C. mawii, concinnus and gembosii growing not very far occasionally has black colour in anthers.
Crocus lyciotauricus I would be regarding as C. brickellii if not the size of flowers - at least twice as large as all species from C. danfordiae group to which belongs C. brickellii.
Those are first flowers of C. muglaensis which opened today, others still are in buds.
And last is at this moment labeled as nubigena, but could be different, still not checked in details.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
And last entry today
The first is C. pseudonubigena
Then 2 pictures of C. salurdagensis
After that C. sozenii
and as last C. stevensii

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal