We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in March 2017  (Read 26346 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in March 2017
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
.... the photo was originally taken on May 2015.

A May-flowering snowdrop?!?  I did not think that was possible, even in Scotland.

I find it very hard to make out which bit of petal belongs where so any more photos would help.  Photos of the leaves always help. 
Almost in Scotland.

SusanH

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
Thanks Alan - weather fowl today - rain and high winds. Will venture out tomorrow and bring in a bulb to photograph (although snow is threatened)!!!!
The photo was taken on 3rd May 2015 in Crail (must be sheltered there).
Many thanks.

SusanH

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
Braved the wind and rain and excavated the "mystery" bulbs.
Can you have a stab at guessing what they are Alan?
Any help would be great.
Thank you.

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
Hello to all,
this is the last set of finds for this year. I hope that at least some of them will find their fans.

1. a nicely outside curved petals.

2. an inverse poculiformis that had outer petals almost exactly the same length as the inner ones.

3. a hole clump of a complete poculiformis. It would definitely look nicer when opened.

4. a form with squeezed petal’s tips. One of the plants was unopened, since the petals couldn’t open on their own, so much they were holding one to another.

5. nicely leaked anthers cells to inner petals. Does four plants make this form stable?

6. a complete yellow form

6a. and another one

7. just some one-time mutants, with two flowers and a three flowers on a stalk. I wish such forms were stable, since they really look cool.

9. only three outer petals.

10. green inner petals and subtle marking on the outers, a rare form in this area.

11. an entirely white inner petals, plus delicate yellow lines on the leaves.

12. as I got to know a chimera. I wonder if it might propagate and somehow produce any offspring that will also be a chimera, and not only a yellow (chlorophyll free) and regular green forms…

14. all the petals were strongly curved to the inside making it look like excavator grasper.

15. that form had outer petals curved to the outside and made it look different in compare to surrounding regular forms

16. a form with very elongated ovary, in addition a large form in general. Really caught my eye.

17. a chimera?

18. a really specific form, hard to describe, since it does what it wants. It can have markings on the outer petals or not. Most of the inner ones have yellowish marks of the anthers. I would even risk stating, that each year same individual could look differently and one year have marking and in two years do not have any. That is what I think that weird form could do. Whatever it is, somehow it is hereditary, since calling it stable would be a misunderstanding.

That would be all for this years snowdrops hunting. It was a great fun, being able to wander around millions of those charming plants and from time to time finding something breathtaking. I can’t wait for next year. I would gladly visit some new large population, but I would have to find it first…
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Mariette

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:53 PM »
Surprising variations again, Chris! The chimera looks fascinating, but I like especially nr. 15! Most of the pictured snowdrops appear to have green leaves, is that actually the case?

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »
Chris,

Your finds are a treat to see. What a terrific set of Snowdrops to come across. Your squeezed tips of the outer segments are really spectacular. The two yellows are very nice and on and on! Congratulations!

Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2017, 12:23:29 AM »
Here are a couple blooming in my garden today in SE Massachusetts, U.S. Our drop season is still going, and may last through the first week or two in April. This is G. 'Bloomer' and a new garden favorite, G. 'The Whopper'.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
...and a new garden favorite

Should that be today's garden favourite?  ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
....For sure, a daily favorite. But, isn't that the way of we Snowdroppers? ha ha

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
Here many snowdrops are very late this year, I had already thought that I have lost many, but no, they are only coming up late. First yellow snowdrops just showed their noses yesterday (and some are still missing, but I'm sure they will come).
Most of the garden still looks like in the first picture, but in my earliest bed snowdrops are already looking good.  :)
Small one is 'Lady Elphinstone' and bigger 'Lerinda', both are doing well here.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
Here many snowdrops are very late this year, I had already thought that I have lost many, but no, they are only coming up late. First yellow snowdrops just showed their noses yesterday (and some are still missing, but I'm sure they will come).
Most of the garden still looks like in the first picture, but in my earliest bed snowdrops are already looking good.  :)
Small one is 'Lady Elphinstone' and bigger 'Lerinda', both are doing well here.

Perhaps the longer we wait for spring to come, the better we appreciate it Leena!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
Braved the wind and rain and excavated the "mystery" bulbs.
Can you have a stab at guessing what they are Alan?

Sorry I have been slow to respond.  The only snowdrop I know with long bright green and relatively narrow leaves like that is the species Galanthus woronowii.  There are relatively few named cultivars of Galanthus woronowii although there is a famous Scottish one - which sadly yours is not, SusanH.  A better picture of the flower (next year) should clinch this identification.

By the by, I was lifting and dividing a clump of woronowii today and they look very like the ones in your picture.     
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2017, 11:12:02 PM »
Leena,

What a delight to see the little stalwarts just ready to shine at the first opportunity....nice patch of 'Lady Elphinstone' developing for you!

Rick

Leena

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
Rick, thank you. :) I planted two bulbs of 'Lady Elphinstone' in 2013, and they have started to multiply nicely, also their inners are yellow.

Perhaps the longer we wait for spring to come, the better we appreciate it Leena!

Yes! I love spring, and go around looking for snowdrops and other plants several times a day, and it is such a joy to see something peaking from the ground and having survived the winter (both plants and me :))

Leena

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
These are 'Jaquenetta' (right side) and 'Cordelia' (left), planted too close to each other.
If I didn't know they have flowered with normal green markings earlier, I would have been very happy to grow a new yellow snowdrop  ::), but the yellow is due to cold, I think.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal