We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne 2017  (Read 4065 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Daphne 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
Quite possible Fermi. After all if any plant is going to be "right" then a Daphne from Robin White is going to be :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »
Gabriela  - There is yet another x transatlantica cultivar that Briggs Nursery (likely responsible for all the x transatlanticas in N. America) propagated en masse about 10 years ago.  It was called 'Summer Ice' and had a fine white edge to the leaves, can be very hard to tell from 'Eternal Fragrance' if it reverts to green leaves.
john

Yes, I know it John. It made the rounds in garden centres here for few years. Daphne are not in much demand, at least in Ontario, many people give up on trying them after few disappointments.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »
Quite possible Fermi. After all if any plant is going to be "right" then a Daphne from Robin White is going to be :D

When it comes to Daphne, all are right for me David  :)
But to clarify the issue, after reading the patent description I am certain that mine is the Eternal Fragrance. Also Rudi showed earlier a specimen in the spring; the flowers are described as pink blushed and then white.
Fermi plant is more likely the Spring Pink Eternal Fragrance which is popping up in Australian websites as soon as you google about it.
http://www.pma.com.au/Plants/Plant.aspx?plant_id=1719351941

Again, all are 'right' and wonderfully fragrant. Since the use of Trademarks, confusions and mislabelling in wholesale nurseries have become even more common than before.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
Hi Gabriela,
It's quite possible that the one I posted is "Spring Pink" as I lost the label! :-X
I have another which is smaller and yet to flower and it may be the original - I'll have to wait to see.
Interesting to see the Youtube clip in that link you posted - I notice he wasn't carrying the big stick!  ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:13 AM »
Thats fine Fermi, just a matter of `nuance` :)
I have to say I didn`t watch the youtube clip, but I like their recommendation of planting the pink and white cultivars together.
Only if we would be able to find them both. It seems they `forgot`to bring the Spring Pink to Canada. Maybe they will next spring!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
Buds just beginning to break on Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' a little later than normal I think.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:10 AM »
Here's the Daphne xtransatlanticum 'Eternal Fragrance' in full flower and not as pink as it appeared earlier in the year,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal