We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses 2017  (Read 3015 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Roses 2017
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Roses 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Three yellow roses working well together. Rosa ecae, probably Rosa 'Canary Bird', and Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
Last fall I read a blog by a rose breeder in California.  http://sproulroses.blogspot.ca

He had roses in bloom in a few months from sowing the seed.  Now, I'm used to waiting
a few years for germination of some plants (worst example:  a colchicum that took 8 years,
is now 17 years old and hasn't flowered yet). 

I found it hard to believe a shrub could be so quick, so gathered some hips from two
of my Austin roses and sowed the seeds on November 19.  They germinated quickly,
and I have 39 plants from Tea Clipper, and 94 from Generous Gardener.  They are
growing in 2 inch pots, and about half have flower buds. 

Today, May 12, in a bit less than 6 months, three of them have opened.

What fun!  This summer I will do some deliberate crosses.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Crumbs! That was quick - such fun!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
Hi Diana,
That's really quick!
I remember reading that the first flower is a good indicator of colour only as the more mature plant can have more petals. So don't discard any on initial appearance!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
That's useful to know, Fermi.

Scent is also detectable in these first flowers, so I can toss any that have no perfume.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
Hard times all round in the plant world. Hard on the heals of the announcement of the closure of Glendoick's mail order business we now hear that the Royal National Rose Society is in administration and the Gardens of the Rose near St Albans may not reopen. See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/18/british-gardens-no-longer-bed-roses/

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
I have been incapacitated for the past week following major surgery on 2nd June. They said total knee replacement was a big operation and very painful. They did not lie. It is the surgical equivalent of a paramilitary punishment beating. Apparently there are a lot of nerves around the kneecap, and I now know every one of them intimately. Morphine is my friend.

So forays into the garden have been limited to a gently hobble around. Fortunately it is the time of year where everything puts on a dazzling performance with very little intervention from the gardener. In particular the climbing and rambling roses are at their peak. Here are a few:

Rosa 'Wickwar', from the late Michael Wickenden. This near-species makes a a huge rambler given the chance, with glaucous foliage and a mass of white flowers.

Rosa 'Alister Stella Gray', easily climbs through a Malus 'John Downie'.

Rosa sinowilsonii, too big for the space allocated to it, but worth all the heavy pruning needed after flowering.

Rosa 'Goldfinch' completely covers a garden shed.

Rosa 'Blush Noisette' clothes a rose arch.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Biggest of all, Rosa 'Paul's Himalyan Musk' rambles through an old damson tree and the neighbouring apricot. One of the biggest of the ramblers, it requires little maintenance if you are prepared to give it the run of the host trees.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 07:18:26 PM »
Good luck with what I suspect may be a long recovery, Ralph- knees seem to be much tougher to settle down after such surgery than hips - but you are so fit generally   I'm sure you will cope.  If we can benefit like this from your garden strolls then it's our win! Lovely to see these big roses  being given their head.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
All the best Ralph. Take it steady and have something to aim at, get your application in for next years London Marathon! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »
Rosa 'Nevada'
The best I've seen it for a long time.  It usually gets badly affected with blackspot and I cut out old stems every year or every other year so it never got to be a big bush but it must have been healthier the last couple of years
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
My very best wishes Ralph for a full recovery, and soon as possible, from your knee surgery. I have been waiting for that very thing especially since walking around Vienna and other Central European capitals last year and being nearly crippled by the end of that. Eight or nine and up to 11 miles a day and on cobbles mostly, just about did for me entirely. Hips fine, knees diabolical! But with physio therapy since December and a subsequent strengthening join class weekly since March, my knees are bearable again (with codeine adfinitum), my surgeon now feels I'd be best to avoid the surgery. I've joined a "Steady As You Go" exercise class which is specifically to strengthen limbs and keep one balanced and avoiding falls. It's not difficult, and is enjoyable in fact having given me an "extra" of meeting a lot of the local people in my nearby village, instead of being virtually on my own almost all the time. I would recommend such an activity to anyone getting older and a bit wobbly.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
Rosa soulieana
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
That is lovely, but BIG! :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal