We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses 2017  (Read 3016 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Roses 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
Very true Lesley.  It runs up through fastigiate yew trees on either side of our gate, but every year must be heavily pruned to prevent it taking over completely ;D
So thuggish but also graceful and highly scented; now competing with wild honeysuckle in the hedgerow on the opposite side of our little country road.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

arillady

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
Wonderful to see a roses thread after being away from SRGC for a while. All these species look magnificent. 'Wichwar' is a rose I first saw in NZ and have wanted ever since. Some of the smaller flowered roses will flower early from seed. Such a thrill when it happens.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
These climbers are really beautiful!
Not very hardy I suspect? probably the reason why I've never seen something like this for sale around here.
Sometimes grafted large flowered cv. are available but they not last long.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 05:16:25 AM »
Gabriela, I bought lots of old roses from Pickering Nursery in Ontario, back in the last
century.  Unfortunately, they are no longer in business, but I would hope there
would be another place you can buy interesting ones.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
Rosa 'Alissar Princess of Phoenicia'.

Thank you Maggi, David and Lesley for your kind remarks. 31 days since surgery and recovery continues, albeit glacially slowly. Still on industrial doses of painkillers, still not sleeping much. I think I was prepared for the pain but what surprised me was the effect on other bodily functions. Completely lost my appetite, and that is only just beginning to come back. Strange when the high spot of the day is a BM. Still not allowed to drive for a couple more weeks, but I am off the morphine so have been able to enjoy my first glass of wine and my first pint of beer for three weeks (not simultaneously).

Morphine does strange things: I think it was in week two when I woke up at 6:30 one morning and my brain was frantically composing one-liners. I must have been a gag writer for Groucho Marx in a previous life. Try these: "I've had a really good night, but this wasn't it". " They say it is post-operative pain; if it was post-opera pain I would be on my tenth pass through the Ring Cycle by now". " People ask me how I remain so cheerful; I say 52% voted for cheerful so I'm going along with it even though I voted the other way". " People ask me if my glass is half full or half empty. I say it doesn't matter as it's only water".

Hey ho, it had better be worth it in the long term.

Lesley, I was interested to hear of your experiences. But my understanding is that once the cartilage in the knee is gone it's gone for good. I hope you can get away without surgery for a while, but it may be the only option in the medium to long term.

David, not entering for any marathons! The surgeons say I should avoid high impact exercise in perpetuity, so no running. But I look forward to some long walks in the months to come.

This thread is meant to be about roses, so enough of my tribulations!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 03:29:21 AM »
My late husband had his knee replaced totally back in 1975 and I vividly remember the surgeon's description to us both, of the process itself, while Allan would be on the operating table. I had to retire and be very sick it was so horrifying!

To bring things back to the roses, we have none at present. Even the snowdrops are wishing the weather would perk up and only Cyclamen coum is really colourful.

Very best wishes John.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal