We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Orchids spring 2008  (Read 47641 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Orchids spring 2008
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Nice ones Tony
Do You grow them under glass or did I just get distracted of the background? They seem to be in pots the later two seem to be possible to grow in the ground or do You generally prefer to grow in pots.

Anthony photos :) it is nice to compare different plants.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
Will take some pics tonight.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johanneshoeller

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
Some self-seedlings from my friend's garden. I grow only a few of these.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:09:41 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
Hans great ones :) 8) :o
I did not know that dactylorhiza can form a clump? Or is it several plants close together? Anyway a very nice sight :)
Also nice color variations on foliage and flowers 8)
Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

johanneshoeller

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
Joakim, it always is one plant!
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Rob

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
The first flower on Ophrys apifera has just opened in the garden.

Midlands, United Kingdom

Rob

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
I wish my dactylorhiza would self seed and form clumps.

I've had them for 3 or 4 years and usually only get back the same number each year, with them occasionally producing two new plants on each stem.

Midlands, United Kingdom

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »
Joakim

I grow them in pots as I only have one of each.The listera has now self seeded in to my rhododendron bed.

I find the dactylorhiza split into two or three new crowns each year and so build up clumps. They self seed in every pot of hostas we have and this afternoon I visited a friend who also has them self seeding all over his garden.

My neighbour pulled one up  in her garden and passed it over our fence asking if this was a weed as they are coming up everywhere!!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »
I agree about the dactylorhizas. They make clumps quite quickly from vegetative increase. I usually get 2 big ones and 2 or 3 babies from a single ps.bulb each year so if you don't lift and separate, a clump builds in no time.

They also seed here, in the grass, into pots, into cracks in the concrete paths, into my largely pinebark pile of potting mix and especially into hosta and clumps of iris or lily where they're impossible to remove except by lifting and carefully dividing the whole thing. But hey, it's wonderful to have orchids naturalizing in the garden.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:29 PM »
I bought a plant of Dactylorhiza 'Bressingham Bonus' and it is now a large clump, not quite in flower. Most of my elata plants also clump up, but Ian gives a good account of how to increase them. They are, however, susceptible to that black fungus.

Here, as promised, Anacamptis pyramidalis and Serapias vomeracea.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
Thanks for the information about dactylorhiza every one. :)
Nice plants Anthony. I have not seen anything by Ian BD about making a plant it self bigger only how to make more plants out of one.
Does the increce/clumping every year imply that the strorage organs below ground gets bigger every year?
Sounds like a very attractive weed I must say :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)

Kind regards
Joakim

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
Joakim, you will find all you need to know about increasing these plants in the bulb log. Check the index: http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/index.pdf I gave my mother a Dactylorhiza elata which I planted in her bog garden (virtually 100% moss peat) and it is now a clump of over 50 spikes. This one hasn't spread by seed, but the native D. purpurella has and is turning up all over her garden. I have the same "problem", and also with D. fuchsii.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
Thanks for the link Anthony I had read these and what I see is that it gets more plants with this method and not one plant with many stems.
Or did everyone mean that it is "one plant" but many tubers implying that it sometimes get more than one new tuber per plant? I was thinking more like "one plant per tuber" and thought that was strange to have many stems from one tuber. Since the tubers are identical one can call them "one plant". This is even more so true if it has been done with the plant itself.

I am slow but I got there finally. It was the definition of "one plant" that got me lost :-[. Now I get it (I think)

Kind regards
Joakim

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »
They are, however, susceptible to that black fungus.

Anthony

interesting comment on the black fungus.I got it three years ago ,brought in I think on a plant of elata which was a gift and it has destroyed my whole collection. I had given spares of two of my rarer ones to a friend and one of these saccifera has now come back.

Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »
Adding to Anthony's note, I have to confirm that my D. elata hasn't self sown either, although it does MAKE plenty seed. DD. maculata however and maculata ssp. fuchsii seed about beautifully, and there are even a couple self sown into the grass verge outside my garden. I also get a few seedlings from D. foliosa.

Joakim, the pseudobulbs get bigger to a certain degree as they clump but presumably reach the "full" size and don't get larger but there are little ones coming along to add to the clump. The first year, these babies are like a little white radishes, the long kind, not round, the gradually over a couple of years they get the "fingers" which give them their generic name. I guess while they are growing in an undisturbed clump they could be called one plant but when they are divided and separated they become many plants, each of which will grow into another clump over a few years. When a clump is divided, even the tiniest with just a miniscule ps.bulb of a few millimetres length, will grow on.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:10:53 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal