We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 12845 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: June 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
In my estimation still the finest Hosta of them all, Hosta 'Devon Green' - son of 'Halcyon' and the mother I belive of 'June', all three top-notch hostas.  We got our 'Devon Green' from the Bowdens in Devon years ago.  What a fine nursery that was, sadly the Bowdens have passed away.

john
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:53:51 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
In my estimation still the finest Hosta of them all, Hosta 'Devon Green' - son of 'Halcyon' and the mother I belive of 'June', all three top-notch hostas.  We got our 'Devon Green' from the Bowdens in Devon years ago.  What a fine nursery that was, sadly the Bowdens have passed away.
john

I didn't know about this one but I like the parents, so surely must be a good one.

I managed to take a reasonable good picture of a Thalictrum I brought into discussion on the forum - from AGS seedex as T. isopyroides, which was not. I looked in the wrong direction for a while but I am pretty sure now is a short form of Thalictrum foetidum - beautiful, with extremely fine foliage.
582329-0

582331-1

Another dwarf Thalictrum worth growing.
582333-2

Chiastophyllum oppositifolium (syn. Umbilicus)
582335-3

I bought last year few Digitalis to plant in a difficult spot knowing they would do good. Surprise, one is pure white, no spotting at all; Digitalis purpurea 'Alba' probably.
582337-4

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:24:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »

john

The nursery is still operating under the ownership of Tim and Ruth Penrose and with an excellent range of Hostas. Sadly I couldn't find 'Devon Green'

https://www.bowdenhostas.com/pages/About-Bowdens.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »

..............................Another dwarf Thalictrum worth growing.......................

T. kiusianum?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Gabriela  - To clarify 'Devon Green, 'Halcyon' and 'June' are all basically the same plant though green with the former, 'Halcyon' blue and the latter variegated. All sports on one another.

'June' in the attached photo to the upper right corner.

john
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:22:15 PM by johnw »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
I bought last year few Digitalis to plant in a difficult spot knowing they would do good. Surprise, one is pure white, no spotting at all; Digitalis purpurea 'Alba' probably.

A nice surprise Gabriela :) 
Seed from your 'neighbour' ;) Kristl Walek at Gardens North also turned out to be 'alba' this year, rather than the dark spotted 'semi alba' I had been expecting.   
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »
T. kiusianum?

Yes, I don't know why my pictures don't show the names.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »
Gabriela  - To clarify 'Devon Green, 'Halcyon' and 'June' are all basically the same plant though green with the former, 'Halcyon' blue and the latter variegated. All sports on one another.
'June' in the attached photo to the upper right corner.
john

OK,  indeed more clear. June is one of my favourites, although the restricted space at my previous place made it that I have almost no hostas.

A nice surprise Gabriela :) 
Seed from your 'neighbour' ;) Kristl Walek at Gardens North also turned out to be 'alba' this year, rather than the dark spotted 'semi alba' I had been expecting.   

Well, from seeds one may never know in some cases. I didn't even look at the labels when I bought them; saw the Digitalis leaves in small pots which I always prefer - so that was it :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2017, 02:43:10 AM »
Exquisite thalictrum, Gabriela!  What do the flowers look like?

Photos will only display their file name if they are uploaded as an "end of post expandable thumbnail" option.  With the "inline expandable thumbnail" (as in your post), one can open a photo in another tab or window (right click) and the tab title will be the file name.  Alternatively, if you are able to view the photo via other means, then the file name will also likely appear.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:45:58 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

jomowi

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
Campanula speciosa grown from Club seed.  Pic. 2 Onosma nana
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Gabriela

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
Exquisite thalictrum, Gabriela!  What do the flowers look like?

Photos will only display their file name if they are uploaded as an "end of post expandable thumbnail" option.  With the "inline expandable thumbnail" (as in your post), one can open a photo in another tab or window (right click) and the tab title will be the file name.  Alternatively, if you are able to view the photo via other means, then the file name will also likely appear.

Thanks Rick. Yes, you're right, when you click to open the images the names show up. I usually insert as "inline expandable thumbnail" .

This is the best image I took with the flowers, it's too windy today for catching something better. Is almost impossible to get a good focus because of the airy, fine aspect.
582443-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

brianw

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
A neighbours garden has Broomrape growing near the entrance, presumably on the ivy. I have collected seed and distributed in mine, but no obvious results yet. Today I noticed elsewhere in the garden he had several clumps of Verbena bonariensis, as do I. I was quite surprised to find many plants of the Broomrape growing apparently on the Verbena. 10 or more spikes. It is someway from the ivy group and there is no obvious connection between the two groups.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:57:07 PM by brianw »
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Darren

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
Two reasonably hardy Aristolochia.

The Mediterranean Aristolochia sempervirens.

And 3 pictures of Aristolochia watsonii from Arizona, grown from seed. That is a 7cm pot so it is dwarf and has rather nice foliage too.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »
Brian, if you expose some of the ivy root and scatter seed around it there should be signs within a couple of years.

johnw

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:01 PM »
Epimedium 'The Giant', the last few flowers.

Sarracenia oreophila 'Sand Mt.'

Sarracenia x catesbei

Smilacina oleracea (2 shots)

johnw  - +17c & overcast.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal