We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eureka!!  (Read 3266 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Eureka!!
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »
Ok,to you nothing special perhaps, but to ME my first stab at growing a bulbous plant from seed. Romulea zahnii from seed purchased at an AGS Show in 2005 and now flowering for the first time. Tomorrow the world ;D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:05:17 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Eureka!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
You don't know what you've let yourself in for ;D
Congratulations!!!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
Heartiest congratulations from the home of the Bulb Despot, David. We wish you many more happy pots of bulb seed!!  8) 8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »
David,

Congratulations!!  Isn't it the coolest feeling to flower the first.  Early on I was told that it seems an interminable wait for the first few years, but then you're flowering something every year and you don't notice how long some of the seeds are taking to mature.  Of course if I repotted mine a bit more regularly (a much better chance of course now that my health has improved somewhat) then they'd get to flowering size much more quickly in some cases.  ::)

The other thing you'll find when growing from seed is that some things aren't what they're supposed to be, but sometimes they're better than what you thought you'd sown.  ;D

Again, congratulations.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
David,
Three cheers for enthousiasm and skill !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »
David,
That's why I love this Forum. Most people spot  a small plant with unimpressive wee flowers.
And what do we see:  A Sensation!
Congratulations!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

SueG

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:19:14 AM »
Congratulations David, and not just one flower but lots of them.

Have you bought another greenhouse to keep them all in?

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

derekb

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

Good luck David you will only need 2 more frames for all the pots of seed.

Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »
Many thanks folks. Now I have to try to do the same with numerous pots of sprouting seeds of various Crocus, Cyclamen and Narcissus species sown last year. Which reminds me I must do some Bulb Log gleaning and read what Ian has to say about care of seeds over the late Spring and Summer periods.

As far as the greenhouse is concerned Chris it's bulging at the seams but gardening on a steep slope as I do, the greenhouse occupies one of the few areas of level land and I just don't have the room for a larger one. However, the lottery win, that I expect later this evening, will see me move shortly to a very large and most impressive residence with 6 acres of flattish land with room for a state of the art 40' x  12' alpine house, 3 x shade tunnels, 3 x poly tunnels and one 40' aluminium house just for bulbs. Peter Korn will be commisioned to build peat beds; ZZ to build crevice beds whilst I potter about as happy as a pig in muck! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »
David,

Nice to see that your dreams aren't TOO extreme!!  ;D  That would be some setup!!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »
The lottery results of last night are now consigned to History and I shall now, of course, continue to garden on a slope and to have a bulging 8 x 6 aluminium greenhouse! :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
I'm sure it will be just as much fun David !  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »
The lottery results of last night are now consigned to History and I shall now, of course, continue to garden on a slope and to have a bulging 8 x 6 aluminium greenhouse! :(

No problem David, I think getting little by little too old for a new job.   :(
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »
Bravo David.
 All we are as child in front of christmas game when we obtain the first flower of our seed gems after some years of patience. I feel the same sensation as you. Botanic is marvellous in giving us the same light in our eyes and our heart as a child which has wait so long time to say his joyce. Thank you for this oxygene bowl
do

Pontoux France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal