We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71  (Read 28424 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
I received my seeds today ! :) I am delighted: only one species replaced: Arisaema sikokianum replaced by Sparaxis roxburghii!
 a great responsibility since it is almost gone in its original environment.

Many thanks for all the hard work of the packers

Carolyn

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
We finished picking all the orders today. We just need to complete our stocktaking and tidy everything up tomorrow, ready for next year. The orders going to USA, AUS and NZ still need to be double checked and any customs documents inserted, then they will be posted too.
For your information, Cecile, our Southern Hemisphere friends are allowed the same seeds as you are in North America. The American orders are the worst to process and demand the most effort on our part!
On Thursday I will see my garden in daylight again. Might even get some gardening done.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Rob

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
I received my surplus seed this morning, completing my order.

Thank you to the donors & seed packing team.

Midlands, United Kingdom

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
Many thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in the Seed Exchange, my first choices arrived on Monday and my surplus order arrived today, incredible!!!!!
Thank you😀

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
Today is Christmas for the second time. I also got the seeds today.
Many thanks to the team who did this huge job!

Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
My seeds arrived today, thank yo so much Carolyn and the team. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
Jimmy Coffey- posted on Facebook :

" I joined online 2 weeks ago ,ordered my first choice and surplus list ... first choices received last week surplus requests received this morning and the journal.... very happy great work from all at the society... thankyou very much"
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2018, 02:14:42 AM »
Seeds have arrived in New Zealand and my warm (very warm) thanks to all donors, packers and posters. You all do a great job and many plants would not be in our gardens if not for your dedication.

I suspect my seeds might like to go back to base as the temperature here today in the south of the country is at 2.30pm, 33.7C inside and 35 in my potting shed (no sowing today). The temp on the shady back path is 38C! I hate it! We also have a strong nor'west gale blowing and our unripe pear crop is now on the ground, along with most of the apples. My precious fig tree is coping but will need some extra staking and tying when the wind drops.

Marley our dog has taken over the bathroom, coolest place in the house an I shall go and lie on my bed out of the worst heat, for an hour or two.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:13 PM »
Rain is falling steadily - as the weather man promised - so I've fished out my seed packets for another look. Still a bit soon to sow I think but we'll see.

A note though. All the seeds in my packets looks strong and healthy and as always I hope they germinate nicely and come true. One will NOT. It is as Iris hookeriana and yet again is not that pseudoregelia species but is quite easily identifiable as a form of Iris setosa so probably the low-growing one we know as Iris setosa hookeri or just I. hookeri.  This is sad as I. hookeriana has only recently been added to our permitted list so I was excited at the prospect of replacing a plant I had many years ago from Tim Loe seed. Tim's plant was beautifully marked (imagine a purple tiger) and I found it easy to grow and flower but not to set seed. I lost it in the battle to protect from rabbits a couple of years ago. Maybe that fine iris grower in Tauranga still has it from the piece I sent him 3 or 4 years ago.

So, not of course the fault of the Seed Exchange but I do wish that donors would check their names before donating. This one comes up almost as often as stylophorum species masquerading as Hylomecon japonicum and is a great disappointment to the recipients.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

GordonT

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
Since packets have already arrived in New Zealand, I am hopeful my order will be here soon!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

timothyloe

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Hi Lesley,

I'm glad that the I. hookeriana that you had from me all those years ago was good!  Sorry to hear that you lost it - true hookeriana is rare in cultivation, and, like you, I chose if from the list!  I'll still sow the seed as someone has gone to a lot of trouble and you never know, might be lovely.  Kate and I stopped selling seed because it was so time consuming (which makes be appreciate what a fabulous job the seed exchange team do), but moreover because, we just couldn't be sure that what we were selling was true to name - I think sometimes our suppliers put names on things that they knew would be popular!   But I've kept all the unsold seed and this year decided to sow the lot - hundreds and hundreds of pots, expect most it no longer viable, but couldn't throw it away. It will be interesting to see if anything comes up, can't remember if there was any I. hookeriana seed sown.  I'm sure in time I'll obtain some true hookeriana seed and will make sure I save some for you.   By the way I've taken over editing the bulletin of the BIS Species Group again and busy scribbling for the next issue!  Best wishes Tim

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:47 AM »
Since packets have already arrived in New Zealand, I am hopeful my order will be here soon!

So am I Gordon!

For Lesley - I am sorry you got the wrong Iris, yet again. At least you spotted the wrong seeds right away.

I would like to clarify because it was mentioned here and not for the first time - the case of Iris setosa, which is different from Iris hookeri (syn. Iris setosa var. canadensis for those who don't accept I. hookeri).
These NA Irises are mixed up in the trades, seedex, etc.... to the point of no return probably. Certainly not using the proper names has contributed to this situation. They are distinct though:

Iris setosa

Iris hookeri

Maggi - please move this in another thread as you consider.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »

[/quote]

For Lesley - I am sorry you got the wrong Iris, yet again. At least you spotted the wrong seeds right away.
I would like to clarify because it was mentioned here and not for the first time - the case of Iris setosa, which is different from Iris hookeri (syn. Iris setosa var. canadensis for those who don't accept I. hookeri).
These NA Irises are mixed up in the trades, seedex, etc.... to the point of no return probably. Certainly not using the proper names has contributed to this situation. They are distinct though:

Maggi - please move this in another thread as you consider.

I have reposted Gabriela's  pictures  here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16056.0   - where I would be grateful if further discussion could take place
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Parsla

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:13 PM »
My seeds arrived yesterday, to great delight, and i shall wait to sow in mid autumn (lest they fry with current hot spells).
Thank you Carolyn and your team for your selfless efforts in the seed exchange. It’s such a wonderful opportunity for those of us in the southern hemisphere to obtain plants we otherwise could not.
Jacqui.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »
Yes Maggi, I'm sorry for the note re Iris hookeriana. You know I tend to get a bit wordy and deviate from the real discussion on hand. I shan't do that again, I hope.

All I intended to say was that as always, the seed team do a fantastic job and agreeing with Jacqui, we in the south owe them a great debt for the wonderful plants they make available to us. My thanks are given to them all for their time and work.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal