We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2017 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 7773 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: September 2017 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
Robert, don,t forget to leave enough of the house to live in.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
The structure is down now and much needs to be hauled away. The concrete foundation is next. Uuuggghhh!  :P

I hope you can hire in some machinery to help with that? Rather you than me - I remember the amount of work it was to remove quitea small piece of concrete path - couldn't even contemplate trying that now.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
It did. That year had a much better summer than this (which has been lousy frankly) and a long mild autumn. It was still blooming at christmas in a sheltered spot outdoors that year.

Meanie,

Once stormy weather arrives (and frost) the flowers will not last long. The plant generally dies back during the winter (same with Salvia guaranitica). The last few years it has been setting viable seed with new plants sprouting in pots in the area. This is a first for me.

Ian,

I'll ask my wife if she plans on keeping the house.  ;D

Maggi,

It is amazing what the correct tools will do and how easy a job can be. I hope there is not much in the way of iron reinforcing bar in the foundation. We will have some help! So far the garden in the area has escaped any major "accident". Actually, the cleanup after the building is gone will be tedious.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Today...Liatris punctata and Gentiana sino-ornata "Blauer Kobold"

ian mcdonald

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »
The lower leaves on my lizard orchids are forming. The flower stem is not produced until the following summer. Img. 00356.

Robert

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:25 PM »

We are making progress on removing the back part of our house. Now that the framing is gone, the concrete foundation needs to be removed. Progress is slow.

The back part of the house will have a window door and large windows to become a greenhouse room. Another small attached greenhouse-aviary will also be constructed.

Mimulus cardinalis is looking good in the garden. There is "lime" dust from the concrete everywhere in our garden now. I hope the plants will not be harmed - especially the acid lovers. The dust from the gypsum sheet-rock seems like it could be beneficial.

Dieteria canescens var. canescens from the high elevations and the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada is a great late blooming Asteraceae. They will bloom for many weeks. I hope to get a better photograph of this fine species soon.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

François Lambert

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
Cautleya Spicata seeds, when the fruit (or is it a capsule) opens you see a small pea-sized black ball, a closer look shows it contains dozens of seeds.  Will try to see if I have any luck at germinating these, apparently they must be sown immediately at room temperature.  Which is a bit strange I think given the fact that if the seeds fall on the ground and stay outdoors they soon will be confronted to lower temps.  Perhaps best also to provide day/night temp swings as I think they are getting in habitat when the seeds ripen.

Bulboholic, but with moderation.

meanie

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
Cautleya Spicata seeds, when the fruit (or is it a capsule) opens you see a small pea-sized black ball, a closer look shows it contains dozens of seeds.  Will try to see if I have any luck at germinating these, apparently they must be sown immediately at room temperature.  Which is a bit strange I think given the fact that if the seeds fall on the ground and stay outdoors they soon will be confronted to lower temps.  Perhaps best also to provide day/night temp swings as I think they are getting in habitat when the seeds ripen.
Will you clean them first? From my recollection there viability lasts whilst still in the berry but shortens quickly once cleaned up.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

François Lambert

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Will you clean them first? From my recollection there viability lasts whilst still in the berry but shortens quickly once cleaned up.

There is not much cleaning involved, when collecting the seeds they just all fall off.  I have sown the first batch this morning, as other capsules open I will continue to sow them immediately.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
Ranunculus bullatus from Southern Spain
- I am still pleased by this species year after year -

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
Lovely Gerd, how do you grow it?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
Lovely Gerd, how do you grow it?

Thank you David. I grow them inside just like summer dormant bulbs/corms. Nearly dry in summer and watering then around the
first days in September. Powdery mildew in winter is a problem - I would imagine that good ventilation would help.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
The awful heat wave that hit Ontario has ended, luckily. One positive is that it made Centaurea salonitana buds to open - I had little hope to see the flowers of this one.

Now back to the normal cool, and less time spent watering plants ;) Foliage is starting to turn colourful, the fruits are ripening.
Lindera benzoin

Aster ericoides is blooming and the clubmoss stands green and fresh (Dendrolycopodium obscurum most probably).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »

Most of the concrete has been broken up and removed from the old 'Sun Room'. It took me two days to break it apart with a sledgehammer! Tio Paisano helped and Jose helped a bit on another day. Soon it will be all gone and I can think about the new garden.

Not much progress on the new greenhouse.

Silene laciniata ssp. californica is still blooming in our garden.

A little better photograph of Dieteria canscens var. canescens.

Many Salvias are looking good in our garden now. Hopefully I will have some good photographs soon.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ruweiss

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
Gabriela,
Aster ericoides´Snowflurry´also flowers in Germany and we always enjoy these
charming flowers in the autumn.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal