We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help with naming a statue.  (Read 772 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Help with naming a statue.
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I took this picture on the way out of a park in Copenhagen.  I thought it might be to do with Europa and the bull but it doesn't seem to fit the story.  If anyone can help with a title I'd be very glad.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Graeme

Re: Help with naming a statue.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefion_Fountain

Carlsberg does do the biggest fountain.....
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
It is the Gefion fountain. The Swedish king Gylfe (who never existed) allowed the goddess Gefion to keep all the Swedish land that she could plough during one night. Gefion transformed her four giant sons into oxen and plowed a large area that was ripped out of Sweden and thrown in the sea and became the Danish island Sealand (where you will find Copenhagen on the eastern coast), this left a big hole in Sweden which is now the very big lake Mälaren.

Anders

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
Thank you so much Anders and Graeme, I can now name the photo and you have added to my knowledge of Scandinavian mythology. My grandmother was from Denmark or Danemark as we always had to spell it, Stella Carla Winifreda Grundtvig a formidable lady.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
You have a very famous relative. As you may already know. N.F.S Grundtvig is probably  the most important person in Danish history for the last 250 years. The Danish community is built on his thoughts.

Anders

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
I have heard of him Anders but I haven't managed a connection.  One of the problems being that the last time I checked your birth, marriage and death records hadn't been digitised and you had to know exactly which town your relation was born in to try and trace them.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal