We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 11217 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: October in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »
We are hearing on our TV and radio news of the Ophelia storm having reached Ireland and the damage caused, and power outages and the like. I thinking of you Ashley and Michael and other Irish Forumists and hoping all is well with you. I see here Ashley that you are in the line of fire so send all best wishes for minimal damage and for your and your family's safety. Though we've had some horrid weather this year especially flooding, nothing that is truly appalling and no loss of life as a result. We are so very lucky in many ways.

Also feeling for you too Robert, and hoping you are well away from the Californian fires. How do these start? Is it just spontaneous combustion in very hot weather? So many areas have suffered in the last year or two that seem not to have had these events previously. I would put it all down to Donald Trump except that it's far too serious to joke about. Keep safe please.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 04:41:40 AM »

Also feeling for you too Robert, and hoping you are well away from the Californian fires. How do these start? Is it just spontaneous combustion in very hot weather? So many areas have suffered in the last year or two that seem not to have had these events previously. I would put it all down to Donald Trump except that it's far too serious to joke about. Keep safe please.

Hi Lesley,

In Sacramento, we are a safe distance from the fires, however the smoke at times has been terrible. We are close enough to the fire zone that for a few days the western horizon looked like a war zone with billows of smoke, aircraft, and constant sirens. The farm in El Dorado County is even farther from the fires, however the countryside is tinder dry and at high fire risk until we get some rain (expected Thursday - Thank God!). The King Fire a few years ago in El Dorado County ripped a huge swath a devastation through our region. I monitor the burn area and the scars are still raw.

I am not certain about the cause of the fires in Sonoma and Napa Counties. There had been a series of high wind events with very strong, dry north winds that may have started the fires due to electrical utility wiring shorting-out. Whatever the cause, the damage and loss are hard to believe. I have never seen anything like it. So much loss of life and property. There has never been anything quite like this in California. The farm is in the same type of habitat as those in Sonoma and Napa Counties with much dry grass and nearby chaparral. Rain will be a relief for everyone in our area.

Yes, I too saw TV video of the storm in Ireland. It looked just like the Hurricanes that rampaged through the Caribbean recently. I hope there is not too much loss and damage. I certainly am hopeful for our formists friends, families, and all that is theirs. I hope all turns out well.

Yes, Lesley my wife and I will try to stay safe, apolitical. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. set a very good example in this regard. We have both read Mr. Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." We in America are certain not immune to such things. When skinheads, motorcycle gangs, and white supremacist show up at the park for an illegal "support" rally we get concerned. At least the police did not take sides. If the police and military take sides we are in deep trouble. We certainly did not show up at the park for any "rally" of any type. We were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, like so many others. The police did help us and many other leave the area safely. That was a blessing! My wife and I do not go out anymore, except to the mountains.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
Thanks all for your good wishes.

Tragically three people lost their lives in the storm.  The SW (Cork & Kerry) was worst affected with wind speeds up to 191 km/h recorded at Fastnet, but fortunately rainfall was moderate & damage generally was less than expected.   Many trees came down but most main roads are passable now, although I passed under several leaning trees :P on the way to work this morning.  Restoration of electricity and telephone infrastructure will take longer.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
All safe here and no damage to report, was well prepared.  :) 

meanie

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
The first bloom of this season on my Canarina canariensis..............
Canarina canariensis by longk48, on Flickr

Salvia gregii 'Blue Note'.............
Salvia greggii 'Blue Note' by longk48, on Flickr

Salvia urica.............
Salvia urica by longk48, on Flickr

Salvia elegans looks good............
Salvia elegans by longk48, on Flickr

Impatiens niamniamensis................
Impatiens niamniamensis by longk48, on Flickr

Tricyrtis formosana.............
Tricyrtis formosana by longk48, on Flickr

Salvia gauranitica 'Black and Bloom'.............
Salvia gauranitica 'Black and Bloom' by longk48, on Flickr
West Oxon where it gets cold!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 05:08:51 PM »
Always something different to see meanie, always interesting and always cracking photography.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
Always something different to see meanie, always interesting and always cracking photography.
Thank you David.

You were asking about the hardiness of Salvia 'Amistad' - I would expect that both 'Black and Blue' and 'Black and Bloom' to be hardy for you. Both are a similar size to 'Amistad' and they're both really good doers like 'Amistad'. And both are also available in smaller (cheaper) pot sizes nowadays and are very fast growers. 'Black and Blue' creeps a bit but is easily controlled (I simply lift the runners and pot them up).

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
No room for any more meanie, I have Salvia 'Trelissic', S. 'Dyson's Joy', S. 'Stormy Pink' taking up far too much room in the front garden, S. muelleri being a thug in the back garden and S. 'Nachtvlinder in a pot also in the front garden. You advised me to put the latter in the garden a couple of years ago but it's still in the pot and still sulking, didn't flower at all this year. Room is the problem.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
No room for any more meanie, I have Salvia 'Trelissic', S. 'Dyson's Joy', S. 'Stormy Pink' taking up far too much room in the front garden, S. muelleri being a thug in the back garden and S. 'Nachtvlinder in a pot also in the front garden. You advised me to put the latter in the garden a couple of years ago but it's still in the pot and still sulking, didn't flower at all this year. Room is the problem.
Space is always the enemy!
Nachtvlinder is a phenomenal bloomer! Mid spring to frost here.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Meanie, it looks like you have still summer! :)

I'm glad you hear Ashley and Michael are ok in Ireland!
Leena from south of Finland

meanie

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Meanie, it looks like you have still summer! :)
I wish - it's so cold here(11 to 14°c the last few days) and no rain either.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 02:39:21 AM »
I will try I large picture - fall landscape in Killarney Provincial Park, Ontario.
592803-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 03:51:22 AM »
Gabriela,

Nice autumn colors!  8)

Mister Tom Turkey arrived back at the farm today. This time he brought one of his companions - another Tom Turkey.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
Mister Tom Turkey arrived back at the farm today. This time he brought one of his companions - another Tom Turkey.

Will he be there around November 23th?  ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2017, 06:46:46 PM »
These are

1. + 2.  Impatiens bicolor (after cutted back)
3. + 4.  Nesocodon mauritianus- Campanulaceae
            the last picture shows the red colored nectar inside the 'bell'

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal