We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina  (Read 1732 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
Hello... I have pulled up some healthy seedlings of Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina. The seeds are from alplains. Now I need all information about the other cultivation. I know only this a local Endemit from San Luis Obispo county is. I suppose this this plant relatively a lot of light and little precipitation needed. But I know nothing about the acidity in this area. Here maybe there is somebody who can help me.

I think there, for example, of Robert Barnard ... a big knowledge about the Californian flora has.

Many thanks and the best greetings
Thomas
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:03:58 PM by Leucogenes »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I have a lot of information for you, however it will have to wait a bit as my wife translates to German. She had relatives in Vienna and lived there for awhile. She is working on the translation right now. I will also answer in English for all of the other forumist.

It has been a long time since I have visited the mountain near San Luis Obispo. Floristically, it is an extremely interesting area.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:42:41 AM »
Dear Mr. Eckert,

Your cultivation problems are very understandable:  Dudleya abramsii ssp murina is a strict endemic.  It only grows in the San Louis Obispo foothill mountains (300-800m).  Although these mountains are chaparral and foothill woodland, Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina is found largely on the serpentine outcrops in this area.
     Serpentine soils have a very low nutrient content, especially low in nitrogen, phosphorous, and calcium.  These soils are associated with high levels of toxic heavy metals, particularly chromium and nickel.  The pH is 6.2.
     Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina is extremely xeric—No summer water.  It is best grown in an extremely well-draining, lean, nutrient-poor soil.  It is best not to use nitrogen fertilizers, as excessive use can be fatal to the plant.  They appear to be quite tolerant of full sum, especially if summer temperatures are cool (less than 25-30C).  Cold hardiness is about -6C.  Protection may be necessary if temperatures are -5C.
     Please forgive my wife’s German:

Sehr geehrter Herr Eckert,

Ihre Anbauprobleme sind sehr verstandlich:  Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina ist streng endemisch.  Es baut nur in den San Louis Obispo hugeliges Gelande an (300-800m).  Obwohl hier chaparral und Wald wachst, Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina findet sich auf den Tagebau der Serpentine in dieser Ort.
     Diese serpentinische Bodene haben sehr niedrige Ernahrungsinhalt, besonders niedrig in dem Stickstoff, Phosphor, und Kalzium.  In diesem Bodene findet man hoher Niveaus der giftige schwere Metalle, besonders dem Chrom und Nickel.  Der pH ist 6.2.
     Dudleya abramsii ssp. murina ist streng Xeric—Keines Sommerwasser.  Am besten baut es in streng gut trocklegenem, magerem, ernahrungsfehligem Boden an.  Es ist besser nie die Stickstoffdungemilleln zu nutzten, weil Uberbenutz die Pflantzen toten kann.  Sie scheinen als ob sie tolerant der vollstandiges sonnenschein sind, besonders wenn der Sommertemperaturen kuhl sind (weniger als 25-30C).  Normalle Winterkaltstarke ist ungefahr -6C.  Es konnte Beschutz brauchen wenn Temperaturen -5C sind.
     Bitte vezeihen Sie der Deutsch meiner Frau!

Mr. Eckert,

The southern Coastal Mountains are floristically very interesting. I traveled in this area back in the 1970’s. If you would like more details concerning the geology or the climatic conditions in this area I will be glad to supply more detailed information (as best I can – it is a long distance from home).
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Hello Robert,

many thanks for the information. Very much specifies and expressively. I will consider all tips and try to keep alive this relatively rare plant. Should 12 seedlings well develop, I will show retime a photo... if it you with interest.

By the way, is very good the German translation of her woman. My respect. So much work because of my question... this is embarrassing for me.

So... over again the best thanks and best regards also to her woman

Thomas

In Vienna one says..." Küss die Hand, gnädige Frau "  😉

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
Something that I shall never attempt to grow, very best of luck with it Thomas. Robert has probably given similar information but I did find this:-

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/832--dudleya-abramsii-murina
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leucogenes

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
Thanks for this interesting link, David.

Maybe I'm lucky and can keep this rare species alive. I will continue to report on this. Maybe I get some seeds from this area. I think Alan of "alplains" has retired somewhat. For reasons of age. Very very sad, but understandable. This creates a large gap.

Thomas

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
................Maybe I get some seeds from this area. I think Alan of "alplains" has retired somewhat. For reasons of age. Very very sad, but understandable. This creates a large gap.

Thomas are sure about Alan Bradshaw (Alplains) retiring? I ordered from him earlier this year and his current catalogue referred to his "not retiring but needing to keep a close eye on his father's fading health"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leucogenes

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
So I have also ordered in last winter from him and have received seed. However, I have belonged his family him has asked to work a little less. I hope very much this I me crazily. Should somebody have more exact infos in addition, I would be glad. Maybe a topical catalogue comes out sometime. Also there I would be glad about an info. Since I would like to deepen my focus on the alpine flora of North America something. Maybe somebody has here personal contact with Alan and can report.

Thomas

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal