We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in November 2017  (Read 15902 times)

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus in November 2017
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »
The strange year continues apace, Santa Claus is going over and today Remember Remember flowering late! Clumping nicely and the satellite clump also doing well.

Many of the Tier 1 yellows are above ground but the green-tips are slower, completely about-face for my micro climate.

Scottish drops are ahead of schedule, never a dull moment.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
Winter drops seem to be  galloping into flower chez Ingrid!  There'll be nothing left for the spring at this rate!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
Thank you, Alan, Brian and Maggi :)

The friend of mine labelled this flower as “Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus”. Probably he tried to ID it. Both he and I are not galanthophile at the moment ::) and I will post pictures here again when its leaves emerging.

With elwesii monostictus Hiemalis Group you usually see at least the very top of the leaves when the flower emerges so unless you are using deep grit on the surface of the pot I think that is unlikely to be the correct identification.  Also a yellow elwesii is virtually unknown apart from one example where the whole plant is yellowish.   

One to treasure indeed.  If it is indeed G.reginæ-olgæ, as Alan suggests, I know of only one other.

Should I know about this one, Brian, or is it under wraps? 
Almost in Scotland.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 04:56:28 AM »
With elwesii monostictus Hiemalis Group you usually see at least the very top of the leaves when the flower emerges so unless you are using deep grit on the surface of the pot I think that is unlikely to be the correct identification.  Also a yellow elwesii is virtually unknown apart from one example where the whole plant is yellowish. 

Thank you for your practical advice for correct identification, Alan :) Here are pictures taken after removing surface layer.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
Thank you for your practical advice for correct identification, Alan :) Here are pictures taken after removing surface layer.

I really need to be more patient and wait for the leaves to emerge.  But from what we can see,  I think that does look more like Galanthus elwesii than any other likely species.  And if it came from a Garden Centre (or similar) then it is more likely to be elwesii than reginae olgae - unless bulb imports are very different in Japan.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
A group of 'Peter Gatehouse' on a cold day.  A feature of this snowdrop that I really love is that you still glimpse the green mark on the inner petals when the outers are tightly closed.

In another part of the garden a flower is emerging on another 'Peter Gatehouse'.  I thought the emergent leaves were reminiscent of those just visible in Yamanaka's picture.

Almost in Scotland.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
I really need to be more patient and wait for the leaves to emerge.  But from what we can see,  I think that does look more like Galanthus elwesii than any other likely species.  And if it came from a Garden Centre (or similar) then it is more likely to be elwesii than reginae olgae - unless bulb imports are very different in Japan.

Thank you again, Alan :) I'll post pictures of its leaves here later.
I think sources of snowdrop bulbs for garden centres in JP are same as in EU.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:52:14 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Mariette

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »
A group of 'Peter Gatehouse' on a cold day.  A feature of this snowdrop that I really love is that you still glimpse the green mark on the inner petals when the outers are tightly closed.

(Attachment Link)

This is really a desirable feature in Galanthus elwesii, Alan!

The weather was more kind in our part of the world, it made even bumblebees fly. And more autumn-flowering Galanthus elwesii spread their outers.

595593-0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:13:15 PM by Mariette »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

This is a snowdrop I selected two years ago, with the permission of the owner, from a small village garden in Cambridgeshire.  There was colony of early snowdrops, all similarly marked, and I chose a clump that seemed strong and vigorous.  It did not flower until early January last year and I imagine it will average out to be mid-December flowering.  Its unusual feature is that it is not a monostictus; the mark on the inner petals looks face-like to me.  In fact it reminds me of somebody with a big moustache and glasses.
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
Alan, a very nice and quite early elwesii var elwesii. The face is delightful. Good luck with it and I hope it is stable and a good doer for you. We have had terrible weather for photographing drops in that they are not wanting to open up in these conditions. Yesterday I snapped this shot of Melvyn Jope's introduction G. reginae olgae 'Sofia' and have measured it at 8" or 20.3cm from ground to tip of spathe. It is tall and strong and has been in bloom for several weeks now, the amazing thing is that it was lying prostrate following a 24F/-4.5C night and then followed by much rain and gale force winds...a beast which I am delighted to be growing!
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
.... the mark on the inner petals looks face-like to me.  In fact it reminds me of somebody with a big moustache and glasses.
Kenneth Branagh's Poirot?
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
Photos from Harald Alex in Germany, who writes :

1. - the first Galanthus reginae-olgae started in 2.10.17

2. - two of the G. r.o. have two flowerstems per bulb.
596319-1

3. - the G. r.o. Pontus, I got from Ian Christie, flowers end october
596321-2

4 - the G. r.o. Elenii, also from Ian Christie, started in 13.11.17

5. - one group of my seedlings of G. elwesii starts in 19.11.17, earlier than "Three Ships", for me really a surprise!
596325-4
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »
Amongst the range of very competitively priced plant collections recently made available by Neal and Sue Huntley's Hartside Nursery Garden is the following:-

6 Special Named Snowdrops Collection priced at £30 plus £8.50 P&P I have extracted the following from Neal's catalogue.
"".........We will provide a selection from the following:- 'Blonde Inge'; 'Modern Art'; 'Wasp'; 'Three Ships'; 'Trumps'; 'Trimmer' and others. All are potted and starting to root and grow.......""

For those interested Neal or Sue can be contacted  at Hartside Nursery Garden, Near Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3BL; by email at enquiriesATplantswithaltitude.co.uk (as usual replace AT with @) and by phone/text 01434 381372 

Anyone who would like to see a copy of the entire Collections range email me for a copy of the catalogue.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
Amongst the range of very competitively priced plant collections recently made available by Neal and Sue Huntley's Hartside Nursery Garden is the following:-

6 Special Named Snowdrops Collection priced at £30 plus £8.50 P&P I have extracted the following from Neal's catalogue.
"".........We will provide a selection from the following:- 'Blonde Inge'; 'Modern Art'; 'Wasp'; 'Three Ships'; 'Trumps'; 'Trimmer' and others. All are potted and starting to root and grow.......""

I think that, individually, each of those named snowdrops would typically sell for over £10 so to get six for £38.50 is a real bargain, particularly appropriate for someone starting-out who doesn't already have any of those snowdrops. 
Almost in Scotland.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Photos from Harald Alex in Germany, who writes :

1. - the first Galanthus reginae-olgae started in 2.10.17

2. - two of the G. r.o. have two flowerstems per bulb.

3. - the G. r.o. Pontus, I got from Ian Christie, flowers end october

4 - the G. r.o. Elenii, also from Ian Christie, started in 13.11.17

5. - one group of my seedlings of G. elwesii starts in 19.11.17, earlier than "Three Ships", for me really a surprise!

596351-0

.... snowdrop bulbs show big Elwesii bulbs with a black skincover (1. + 2.row left), white Elwesii bulbs in the middle and Elwesii bulbs from Gardencenter right!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:07:06 PM by Maggi Young »
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal