We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage April 2008  (Read 83966 times)

tboland

Re: Flowers and foliage April 2008
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »
I've never had any luck with rivale...maybe I should try it in a pot.  That pink one is certainly a corker!

Beautiful Kabs....mine are just starting to show a little colour in the buds...maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have some open.
Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
Todd, Trillium rivale grows very well in pots, I have several hundred tubers in pots for years and some of them have not even been re -potted. You may have to shelter them for the winter in your climate.

henkw

« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
Dear Johannes Hoeller,

Gentiana verna alba?
Where do you put in in you garden? It seems they do it better in pots. When I put them in my garden they die very quickly, any tips for me?

Henk
in the Netherlands

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2008, 05:10:10 AM »
All the above pics are beautiful but I specially like Olga's lovely butterfly. What kind is it Olga?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johanneshoeller

« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
Hi Henk,

I think we all have the same problems with Gentiana verna. But there are some clones which grow well and will stay alive for some years. I repot them very often (every year) and do not put them in the garden. They like acid soils although they grow in the Calceolus Alps. I only advice to grow seedlings or divide plants very often.

Yes, one Gentiana is a seedling from ang. Iceberg. But the true form does not jet flower and its colour is much more light blue.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
All the above pics are beautiful but I specially like Olga's lovely butterfly. What kind is it Olga?

The butterfly is a small tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae), which is declining in the UK, although still fairly common. It's larvae are nettle (Urtica spp.) feeders and the adults hibernate in sheds, garages and behind curtains (or perhaps in the wardrobe) in the spare room.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »
Michael,

It looks like you've done a pretty good job with the pink breeding.  How dark a flower did you start out with?  The ones I have here are pale pink at the very most..... I think it would take a lot of generations to get as dark a pink as that from them.  I have what has flowered for the last couple of years as a pure white rivale.  I'll keep an eye on it again this year and if it remains pure white I'm more than happy to send you a piece if there is enough?  It isn't a lovely round form like so many of yours, but up until now at least it has exhibited no spots.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
Lesley

I am not good in butterflies. :) Think Anthony is right it’s Aglais urticae. It’s Russian common name is “nettler”.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
In Ron McBeath's garden today:  Primula maximowiczii; Trillium chloropetalum and Erythronium 'Johanna'  All looking beautiful.  He also had a double red Pulsatilla to die for, but I didn't like to keep taking pictures, so you can't view that one.  The colour of the primula is indescribable and the photo doesn't do it justice, but it will give you an idea of it.  Of course, he had none for sale... :(
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2008, 09:08:26 PM »
Dima - thanks for the anser about Gymnospermums
Here are some plants blooming now

caltha silvestris
 Jeffersonia dubia
 phisochlena
 Scilla bifolia alba
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:04:44 PM by Maggi Young »
in Moscow

henkw

« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »
Thank you for the tips Johannes Hoeller.

Henk
in the Netherlands

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2008, 01:01:08 AM »

The butterfly is a small tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae), which is declining in the UK, although still fairly common. It's larvae are nettle (Urtica spp.) feeders and the adults hibernate in sheds, garages and behind curtains (or perhaps in the wardrobe) in the spare room.
I wish it lived here. It would be very welcome in my spare room or anywhere else.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »
What a magnificent clump of Jeffersonia! 8) and the plant underneath it is special too. A lovely combo of flowers and foliage colour.

tboland

« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
That Primula maximowiczii is bizarre!  What an excellent colour!

My bulb season is just getting started (despite the fact its currently snowing!)..Puschkinia, Scilla bifolia 'Rosea' and Iris reticulata 'Harmony'

Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2008, 06:54:04 AM »
What a magnificent clump of Jeffersonia! 8) and the plant underneath it is special too. A lovely combo of flowers and foliage colour.
Exactly what I wanted to tell.
I've never heard of that Phisochlena, but I like it. :)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal