We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2017 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4033 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: December 2017 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
Like just a few people around the world Jamus, you have a genius touch for doing rock work in such a way it would be EXACTLY at home on any remote and pristine mountain top or scree. I so envy you that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
Thank you for your kind words Lesley. I feel like I am still learning and am looking forward to doing more! I only wish the climate here was more amenable to alpines, but I'm not doing too badly under the circumstances I suppose! Thank goodness for Otto and his boundless generosity sharing these gems of the alps he's spent a lifetime collecting. I hope others in Australia will catch the bug and grow more from seed, so that we can have access to some of the mind-blowing diversity available to our friends in Europe.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »
I am always amazed at the difference between human applied watering and natural rainfall, on ones' plants. Watering keeps them alive but rain makes them thrive and grow. We are approaching drought conditions here in New Zealand at present with almost no rain at all since the end of October in most areas. I have been watering to the extent I'm allowed but watering restrictions are now in force so that's moot as well. However, things are surviving all right and in the last few days there has been some light but very precious rain to relieve things a bit. On Friday night we actually had soft and gentle but steady rain from some time in the night until late Saturday afternoon. All this is to say that while there has been nothing germinating, suddenly, after some real rain, a number of things are coming through even though it is the middle of summer. Iris brandzae (I. spuria ssp. brandzae) from a Czech source and sown in February, has come in a rush, all 10 seeds up today. Helonias bullata is also through today but not the potful on a peaty seed mix, only the lot I sowed on grit. One of Anne Wright's hepaticas is through and so too is Clematis hirsutissima from a kindly gentleman in Lincolnshire. That was sown in August. Oddly, my own much older seed and sown very fresh (Jan, a year ago all but a few  days), the dwarf form of Clematis fusca is also up today, when I'd just about given up on it. Barnhaven auricula seed has started with a rush, many seedlings up overnight though I didn't hope for them until we had good autumn rain, and the white form of Rhodo. camtschaticum is also through, a fine green mist among the grit. I can't swear that all these are the result of natural rain but it's odd that after months of nothing new, suddenly so many things all at once after just a little of "the right stuff."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
Having got that off my chest I'm now off to the kitchen to make a Pavlova (a cake or dessert, for those who may not know, made entirely of meringue and decorated with cream and fresh fruit usually) for dinner tomorrow. I can start it now and have it ready to come from the oven about midnight when I shall watch the fireworks from Auckland's skytower, then go to bed.

I do wish all Forumists in both hemispheres a happy, healthy and safe New Year.  New Zealanders seem to make a big thing of car crashes and water accidents at this time of year, so many people on extended holidays and perhaps not paying attention to the everyday rules that they normally would. Please drive carefully and swim and play in the rivers and lakes and in the sea with care and common sense.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
Happy New year, Lesley and all the other Kiwis - you get to celebrate before us ;D
We're not up to Pavs yet - still finishing off the Christmas Pudding (with lashings of Brandy Cream Sauce ;D ) so no need to get into that dispute ;) .
We've always seen the difference natural rainfall has on the garden - so much better that whatever comes out of the tap - something to do with the dissolved atmospheric nitrogen I presume.
Here's another recent acquisition - from Cynthia at our Bunfight a few weeks ago - Viola hederacea 'Monga Magic'
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal