We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus April 2008  (Read 30244 times)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Crocus April 2008
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »
Howard, the flower colour of crocus fades within a few days. So if you compare your new developed
plants with the ones that started earlier you will always find a difference in their blue! So I don't think
your first batch of Princess Beatrix was wrong.

Your tommies look beautiful but I don't know of any cultivar in trade looking like yours.

Guff, I have Negro Boy in my lawn without any label, so I can't tell you exactly if it sets seed or not.
But generally I can say, that Crocus vernus cultivars have the best seed set of all crocus in my garden.
Each year I have thousands of seeds.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »
Thomas,

You sent me seed a couple of years ago from Negro Boy, so it apparently set seed at that point.  This is just to confirm that that year at least NB did set seed.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »
Thomas,

You sent me seed a couple of years ago from Negro Boy, so it apparently set seed at that point. 
This is just to confirm that that year at least NB did set seed.  8)

Paul, I can only remember, that I sent you seeds of the Crocus vernus cultivars from my lawn "possibly including Negro Boy".
Will have to check my lawn if I find the NB clumps for seed pods!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
Ah, could be my incorrect interpretation then.  I'd written "ex Negro Boy" on the pot (I happened to read the details on that particular pot recently, which is why I remember it).  I probably misinterpreted it at the time you sent me.

Oh well, Guff should ignore my previous message!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

HClase

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
I don't think that's it Thomas.  Here are the two side by side, a late one from the early group and one of the first from the later group.  The unopened buds of the later group are also the rich blue I associate with PB, while I didn't notice this with the early ones.  These pictures on screen (mine anyway!) are a slightly more purple than the real thing.
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »
OK, you're right, Howard! They look really different!
It resembles the one I found between the corms of PB you sent me some years ago - possibly a seedling.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
Thomas, paul thanks.

I had a few flowers open up yesterday, but I didn't see any pollen. Maybe some pollen will show today. If not, bummer that I won't get any seed from them, I assume no pollen, no seed? Maybe I will hand pollinate them anyways. Second picture are the giant vernus on a bank, hopefully I get more then 1 seed pod from all those flowers this year.

HClase

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
What a difference a day makes!  This is the same group of C sieberi HE that I showed yesterday, and also a clump of another cultivar that have come up from a "lost corm" - at least they look like  C. sieberi to me.
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
Two great clumps Howard !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
Using the example of crocus: Isn't marvellous what we enjoy when watching this Forum - first flowers in early spring (Newfoundland) - late spring in Europe - autumn in AUS - NZ!
I really enjoy to be here - Thanks to all the contributors!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
Using the example of crocus: Isn't marvellous what we enjoy when watching this Forum - first flowers in early spring (Newfoundland) - late spring in Europe - autumn in AUS - NZ!
I really enjoy to be here - Thanks to all the contributors!

Gerd

You're right Gerd - I also love it  :-* :-* :-*

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
I too think we have much to celebate.  This is the most informed place on the internet for crocus.  A meeting of minds and experience from around the world.  Great! 

I have approached our moderators with an idea to have a Crocus Group thread where I can post old and new newsletters and make all the details about the CG, membership, seed exchange etc available.  The answer was YES.  I am now awaiting the arrival of electronic copies from the previous secretary and will start the thread(s) as soon as possible.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
Tony - Excellent news! Good of you to take it on.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
Some of the nergo boy's look like they want to produce pollen, some yellowing, but no real pollen to use.

Heres what I received as Haarlem Gem. It's a tiny flower. Looks the same as the one Luit van Delft posted in his Connoisseur Collection thread. My camera isn't able to get any/much detail.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »
A few crocus in bloom here last Wednesday.

Cream Beauty and Violet Queen - a few aberrant ones with narrow petals only noticed in the picture afterwards!

johnw - 18c here today
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:29:46 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal