We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2018  (Read 41332 times)

Bart

Re: Cyclamen 2018
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »
Cyclamen africanum from seed sown November 2014.

Hi David, your africanum looks very much like graecum? Hard to see with the perspective on the leaves. Nice flowers though!

We are growing a lot of cyclamens indoors and many of them are flowering all year round. We published a few photographs from Sep 2018...
Hi Elena,
Interesting to see your cyclamen doing well in the window sills. Especially purpurascens would be a bonus for the scent! Why do C.persicum and C. rohlfsianum , if grown in the house, stop flowering though- or rather, what keeps the others going?

Most Cyclamen have now broken dormancy. I spotted a very odd deformation on an emerging flower from a C. cilicium:

625963-0

And the serrated C.hederifolium is still going:

625965-1

Nice light on C. graecum, but should have thought about the background...

625967-2

And C. mirabile keeps looking great!

625969-3

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
Hi David, your africanum looks very much like graecum? Hard to see with the perspective on the leaves. Nice flowers though!

Mmmm. I'll still back africanum though!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
from the Cyclamen Society, Cyclamen hederifolium 93160, a 2 years old baby
North of France

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
from the Cyclamen Society, Cyclamen hederifolium 93160, a 2 years old baby
Super shots Yann.

Roma

« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »
This one from SRGC seedex was supposed to be Cyclamen mirabile niveum.  Not only is it not whilte it is Cyclamen cilicium.  Disappointing.

This potful is interesting.  From Cyclamen society seed.  Supposed to be Cyclamen parviflorum sub-alpinum.  Mainly Cyclamen coum with 2 or 3 ?persicum.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Carolyn

« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2018, 10:39:19 PM »
Roma, which year's seedex was the C mirabile/cilicium from? I have some plants flowering for the first time which look very similar to yours, I think they were just labelled mirabile. When it is light i will go and check.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Roma

« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »
Some Cyclamen flowering now.  C. mirabile, C. hederifolium with C. hederifolium ssp crassifolium the large one back left - hederifolium on steroids!

Cyclamen hederifolium

Cyclamen graecum 

Roma

« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »
Carolyn, the Cyclamen mirabile/cilicium was from the 2014/15 seed exchange.  It was definitely labelled niveum.  I was suspicious when I got a flower last year (it was pink) because I usually find Cyclamen mirabile takes a few years to flower.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »
Yann, your photography is superb !
Roma, what a nice neat show of potted cyclamen.

For my Cyclamen africanum - I hope he is properly determined, I find his flowers dark compared to the other pictures on the internet - so I'll get him into the house. How hard is it? my greenhouse is not frost free ...

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
You have a lovely collection Roma.

Roughly how old are your larger pots please and secondly do you water all your Cyclamen from below? I'm never certain which way is best.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
This one from SRGC seedex was supposed to be Cyclamen mirabile niveum.  Not only is it not whilte it is Cyclamen cilicium.  Disappointing.

Same here. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

elena

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »
Dear Bart,

Your C.mirabile and C.graecum are very nice.

C. purpurasens are not really fragrant either under artificial lighting or on windowsills. The little fragrance differs between plants with different leaves; it is interesting to note that the least pleasant leaves are on a plant with the most pleasant (and unusual) fragrance:
626106-0

I have never grown rolfsianum and limited myself to the easiest to grow cultivars of C.persicum, grown on a windowsill. Different plants have different dormancy on the same windowsill. For instance, white-flowering persicums flower non-stop from 2012. Other plants have dormant periods of different length, during which some may keep their leaves or be dormant without them.

Do you know what may cause an unusual shape of flowers on a C.persicum cultivar (grown from seeds) which flowers in the same way from 2013 and same for C.purpurascens grown from seeds germinated in 2017?

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »
Cyclamen colchicum - seems it will never stop flowering.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Roma

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
David, the older Cyclamen hederifolium are from a 1998 sowing of C. hed. 'Bowles Apollo'.  I didn't get any with pink on the leaves.  They varied from quite ordinary to well marked to pure silver.

The mirabile are both from a 2001 sowing of 'Tilebarn Nicholas'.  One is much bigger.  The leaves of the smaller one are nearer to 'T. Nicholas'

The graecums were sown in 2003/04 from CSE seed from collected plants.  The white one is older and was bought as a pant.

Cyclamen hederifolium ssp crassifolium is from Cyclamen Society seed ex PN99/151 from Zakythnos.  I got a good germination but one plant was bigger and faster growing than the others.  Its leaves are not very interesting  I sold one or two at a discussion weekend and still have a few.  The others are not yet in leaf.

I usually water from the top.  It is not ideal but I grow so many plants in my greenhouse I find it difficult to give everything ideal conditions.  I might not lose so many young Cyclamen if I was more careful with watering.  It is survival of the fittest

roys

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
Hello Roma, As regards the C. parviflorum sub-alpinum seed you received from the Cyclamen Society, I am sorry it has turned out to be C.coum and C.persicum. We do try to keep all species separate, but as with all seed distributions we are dependent on the accuracy not the donated seed. in this instance it is definitely incorrect. C. parviflorum sub alpine is very rarely donated to the Society, and in this instance it is obviously incorrect. Thank you for making me aware of this, and I will try to ensure that i keep a closer eye on donated seed.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal