We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2018  (Read 41335 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Cyclamen 2018
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
Hey Joakim —

I’m growing Cyclamen cilicium as well, and am planning to grow C. repandum, C. mirabile, and C. alpinum. But I don’t have personal experience with low temperatures yet with those.

You might find this article helpful, from the curator of a botanical garden near me:
https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/cyclamen-for-winter-and-spring/
(We are US zone 8 here; I would guess you’re in zone 7, for the hardiness indications in the article.)

Hope that helps a bit,
Kelly

PS My climate has a rainy autumn through spring, but very dry summers.

I have earlier thought of these as potentially hardy but I then saw a list of hardy cyclamen in Germany and then the alpinum, repandum and mirabilie was not stated as hardy. Maybe they are not hardy in the highest mountains in Germany but are they hardy in northern or central Germany?
Gert-Jan in Belgium grows a lot but I might have slightly colder winters and summers.
Gert-Jan what kind of cover do they get? Upside down bucket o a Polytunnel of some sort or just a pine branch? Would be interesting to know
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gert-Jan

« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
Hello, the place where the Cyclamen grow is a sheltered place, between two houses. It get Sunshine all day, is south facing. During the last winters since 2010, we had temperatures upto -15/-18. C. graecum get a glass door of and old shower to protect them from to much water and cold. The rest gets a blanket of fleece. The best is of course snow. But that gives other problems. Without problems we grow C. persicum, C. libanoticum, C. mirabile, C. maritiumum and other 2 C. graecum.

Graeme

« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
Cyclamen Society seed arrived today - not requested any for a number of years - received all the ones I requested so very happy :)

Just need to get them sown now
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »
Thanks for the description of your covering Gert-Jan
I must admit that I also plan to order from CSE but I do not understand how they want the form sent.
Should it just be filled in and placed in an envelope with a stamp. That is for non UK members that is?
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Facebook Post  by Arthur Nicholls‎
re:
 The Cyclamen Society

Happy to report that we have resolved the problems with our PayPal account.

You can use PayPal for Membership, purchase of Publications and Seeds.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

stone

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
has anybody a plant or picture from, c. hederifolium pjn 014  01 from lakka paxos  ssp. crassifolium? ?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
Facebook Post  by Arthur Nicholls‎
re:
 The Cyclamen Society

Happy to report that we have resolved the problems with our PayPal account.

You can use PayPal for Membership, purchase of Publications and Seeds.

Can I assume that Arthur knows there are significant numbers of  members of the Cyclamen Society who are members of SRGC and this Forum and who, like me, would never, ever, deem to be members of the collective ‘Facetwit’?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »
I only plan to order my free allotment so presume I do not need to pay as a European member.
I think Arthur is active here as well. At least he used to be active here too.
I think he is art600 or similar.

SJW

« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
Can I assume that Arthur knows there are significant numbers of  members of the Cyclamen Society who are members of SRGC and this Forum and who, like me, would never, ever, deem to be members of the collective ‘Facetwit’?

Yes.

And I think we can also assume that a significant number of plant societies (including SRGC) have Facebook pages or Facebook public groups! Just an additional way to interact with members, or potential members, of said societies. But obviously it's not to everyone's taste.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »
has anybody a plant or picture from, c. hederifolium pjn 014  01 from lakka paxos  ssp. crassifolium? ?

I was the person who collected the seed. I sowed some myself and gave some to friends and the remainder went to Jan bravenboer where I suspect you got yours. The resulting plants are variable but definitely ssp crassifolium
I have 4 plants in my greenhouse although I haven't photographed them.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2018, 01:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the description of your covering Gert-Jan
I must admit that I also plan to order from CSE but I do not understand how they want the form sent.
Should it just be filled in and placed in an envelope with a stamp. That is for non UK members that is?
Kind regards
Joakim
Joakim
Would recommend that you email the Seed Manager, Roy Skidmore, with your requests.  Make sure you include your Membership number.
Roy will send you a PayPal invoice for any quantities above your free allocation.

CSE seedlist will soon be available.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

David

If you use FaceBook sensibly you would then be able to access The Cyclamen Society page.  Lots of good info from people who have not yet seen the light and joined SRGC.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
I was the person who collected the seed. I sowed some myself and gave some to friends and the remainder went to Jan bravenboer where I suspect you got yours. The resulting plants are variable but definitely ssp crassifolium
I have 4 plants in my greenhouse although I haven't photographed them.

I have now photographed 2 of my plants.

Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
David

If you use FaceBook sensibly you would then be able to access The Cyclamen Society page.  Lots of good info from people who have not yet seen the light and joined SRGC.

Sorry Arthur it wasn’t my intention to have a go at you personally. I do regard the whole philosophy surrounding Facetwit as asinine, each to his own as the saying goes.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

stone

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
I have now photographed 2 of my plants.
yes, i have this crassifolium from jan br
thank u
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:12:01 PM by stone »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal