We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 61291 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »

Spring has arrived in foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Once again this season, the weather has swung from one extreme to another. Yesterday’s high temperature was 82 F (27.8 C). This was within 1 F of the record high for the date.

I spent a good part of Saturday, 31 March checking up on some of my favorite wildflower sites in El Dorado County. Much of the South Fork of the American River is undeveloped or public land. This was a good place to start.

An old friend, Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons is in peak bloom now. The dry south facing slopes and ledges of the South Fork of the American River is a great location to see this attractive Bush Lupine.

Buckbrush, Ceanothus cuneatus var. cuneatus also thrives in the xeric environment of the South Fork canyon. Many are in full bloom at this time and their pollen-like fragrance is delightful floating on the warm air. In addition, Ceanothus is an excellent food source for many of our native Lepidoptera. There were many species of butterflies out.

The first wave of Blue Dicks, Dichelostemma capitatum ssp. capitatum is in bloom. It is the first of the Themidaceae to bloom in this area. A number of other species will be blooming is succession as the season progresses.

Lomatium utriculatum is another early bloomer. This is the most common Lomatium species in this area. It can often be found growing abundantly in harsh, rocky, dry environments.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »

Baby Blue-eyes, Nemophila menziesii var. menziesii, is not a common species in our area, however with its large flowers this annual species creates a striking display when seen in bloom. This species prefers growing in semi-shaded sites.

Nemophila heterophylla has much smaller flowers than N. menziesii. It, too, is often seen growing in partly shaded locations. When seen growing in mass, it is quite attractive.

Lace pod, Thysanocarpus curvipes, is an early blooming annual member of the Brassicaceae. The tiny white flowers are not showy, however the round seedpods are very interesting.

Sanicula bipinnatifida is a very commonly seen species in our area. The flowers of this perennial Apiaceae can be yellow or purple.

The first flowers of Silene laciniata ssp. californica were opening. This species will bloom for an extended period of time, especially in cultivation. This species thrives in our Sacramento garden and can often be found blooming throughout the spring, summer and autumn.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »

The precipitation was on and off this winter (too often off!). Dry conditions during the winter can often adversely affect our native annual species. In general, Foothill Poppy, Eschscholzia caespitosa seemed little affected by the dry periods this winter. In places, thousands were blooming on the canyon slopes.

Foothill Poppy, Eschscholzia caespitosa is an annual species. The flowers are large and showy. It is a great little annual that we cultivate and allow to seed around in our Sacramento garden.

I noted four species of Lupinus in bloom on this day. On this slope the annual Lupinus bicolor can be seen blooming with Eschscholzia caespitosa.

Lupinus bicolor has somewhat small flowers, at least in relationship to some of our other native Lupinus species. It is another species that looks great in mass or view closely.

Foothill Sunburst is a fitting common name for Pseudobahia heermannii. This native annual is often seen growing in mass on sunny hillsides and slopes. The dry conditions earlier in the season may have adversely affect their growth as I did not see them growing densely on this outing.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »

I found one Calochortus monophyllus in bloom, high on a very steep, sunny slope. Many more will be blooming shortly.

Acmispon wrangelianus is a small low growing annual with soft spreading hairs. This Fabaceae has small bright yellow flowers and thrives in harsh, sunny, dry locations.

Micranthes californica is a shade loving species. It is often seen growing on rocks or on steep rocky slopes. During the summer this perennial species dries completely and disappears. With fairly small flowers, it is another species that is better appreciated when seen growing together in large quantities. I successfully grow this species in our Sacramento garden. Complete summer dryness is essential for success.

Mimulus guttatus is a moisture loving species that is often seen growing in or near seeps. It will bloom for many months providing it stays wet.

Sheets of Lasthenia californica ssp. californica can be seen blooming in harsh rocky environments now. This annual species is frequently seen growing on serpentine rock formations. I photographed these at Traverse Creek. Traverse Creek is a bit higher on the mountain. Despite the open sunny terrain at Traverse Creek, the blooming season is about a week or two behind other areas lower down on the mountain.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »

Triphysaria eriantha ssp. eriantha is a member of the Orobanchaceae family, a group of root-parasitic species (many are hemi-parasitic, such as Castilleja). This annual species is often seen blooming in large sheets in open sunny sites.

I was a bit early to see Viola douglasii in bloom. There were many small flower buds on the plants. It will be a few weeks before they are in full bloom – something for me to look forward to.

Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2018, 05:20:43 AM »

1 April 2018

It was another warm day in Northern California. I set off in the early afternoon to survey several potential weather observation sites in Eldorado National Forest.

My first stop was near the base of Peavine Ridge above Riverton, which is on the South Fork of the American River. I have been logging data from this site, 3,625 feet (1,105 meters), since November of 2017. It was incredibly mild, 69 F (20.6 C) when I arrived at 12:15 p.m.

From there I continued to the summit of Peavine Ridge and through the Crystal Basin to Gerle Creek. The last mile, or so, of the road to Gerle Creek (pictured) is not ploughed of snow during the winter. This is how it has been since the “new” paved road to Gerle Creek was constructed during the late 1960’s (before that the road was a narrow, single dirt track through the forest). During the 1970’s I would generally hike in over the snow to my father’s cabin during the spring holiday (Easter - Passover - etc.). Generally there was a meter or more of snow covering the road at this point. Today there was only 34 cm. I guess this is an improvement. On 17 February 2018, I drove all the way to Gerle Creek and beyond. There were only traces of snow on the ground at the Gerle Creek Bridge.

From the Gerle Creek – Loon Lake junction, I traveled up the mountain toward Loon Lake. Chipmunk Bluff (pictured) forms the northern rim above the South Fork of the Rubicon River. Generally there is about a meter, or more, of snow at this site on 1 April. I was pleased just to see any snow at all. When I visited Loon Lake on 15 January there was no snow at all on Chipmunk Bluff!

Looking down the drainage of the South Fork of the Rubicon River, Robbs Peak can be seen off the west-southwest.

To the southeast, Tells Peak the northern most peak of the Crystal Range can be seen with a fair amount of snow still covering its slopes.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »

The surface of Loon Lake, 6,416 feet (1,956 meters), is generally completely frozen during the wintertime. Considering the mild temperatures this winter, I was very surprised to see any ice on the lake at all. In the distance, one can see open water. Most of the lake is actually ice free.

I was very pleased to measure an average snow depth of 61cm (2 feet) at Loon Lake. Considering that there was no snow at all around the lake for most of the winter, this is certainly an improvement. Given the mild temperatures, 54 F (12.2 C) at 2:00 p.m., I am not sure that the snow will last long. The weather forecast is for the remnants of a typhoon to arrive later this week with heavy rains and non-existent snow levels.

There was a fair amount of snowmelt runoff flowing down the South Fork of the Rubicon River. This site at 5,254 feet (1,601 meters) is below the Gerle Creek – Loon Lake junction.

After the stormy weather, when it clears sometime in the next 10 days or so, I will check again on the snow pack – if any. My guess is that I will be able to hike into the high elevation backcountry very early this year. In the mean time, the spring wildflowers are blooming at the lower elevations. I have a new site to check on tomorrow.

Until then……
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Robert,

I love seeing your spring flora!

We are still in the grip of winter. April 1 was one of the coldest days ever for this month in S Norway and March has been one of the coldest ever. At our mountain cabin March 2018 was on average 6C colder than last year (2017). At home March was "only" 5C colder than last year.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
Trond,

Your current weather seems brutal!

What impact will this have on your garden?

To contrast, here in Northern California the average temperature in March was 2.46 F (1.37 C) below average. In other words, nothing unusual – typical variation. The truth of the matter is that our March weather consisted of huge anomalous swings in temperature, from record to near record cold, to record to near record heat and back again. As an example on Friday, 30 March, the high temperature was 82 F (27.8 C) at the El Dorado County farm, 11.3 F (6.3 C) above average. This was within 1 F (0.6 C) of tying the record for this date. Early in the month of March, many (4) record low high temperatures were broken. Late in the month 2 record low temperatures were broken. In between, strong surges of subtropical moisture swept through California. As I write, temperatures are abnormally high and another wave of subtropical moisture is taking aim at California.

Since autumn, our weather has been highly anomalous, mostly in the direction of much above average temperatures, and very dry conditions. Recently, record cold temperatures punctuated this pattern. March was very wet, but this was not record precipitation. To a certain extent, weak (and continued weakening) La Nina conditions can account for our unusual weather. Recently, there have also been strong anomalous shifts in the Madden – Julian Oscillation.

As you can, please keep us posted on your unusual weather conditions. Despite the extreme weather, I hope that your garden thrives.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Hoy

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
Robert,

Brutal is the right word! But it seems to end tomorrow when we will get back to more normal conditions.

This is my "lawn"as it is now (April 2. 2018). Bleak and burnt by the dry cold weather. Usually the grass stays green all winter.

611048-0

The bulbs seem to be affected also. The area should be covered in crocuses etc like this which is also taken today but in a spot which is more protected.

611050-1

It is too early to say anything about the shrubs.

Robert

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »
Trond,

The photographs look grim!

Please keep us posted as to how your garden reacts to this highly anomalous weather pattern. I am very curious how the various species adjust to the cold weather. I guess some may not survive?

I hope that you are spared the worst!

Now for some notes on today's outing.....

2 April 2018

Early in the morning I went out to the canyon of the South Fork of the American River, El Dorado County, California to check on a new access point to the canyon. Depending on the number of changes in the sun exposure, rock substrate, moisture content of the soil, etc. a wide variety of plant species can be found in this area. Today was my first opportunity to see what this new site had to offer.

A new trail quickly descended into the canyon to Chili Bar Reservoir.

Claytonia parviflora ssp. grandiflora grew abundantly on the recently disturbed, and partly shaded slopes next to the trail.

Both Sanicula crassicaulis (pictured) and S. bipinnatifida were seen in bloom as I descended into the canyon.

Various metamorphic rock strata were exposed including a dark gray slate.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2018, 02:48:47 AM »

For the most part this new access was unproductive. I hiked back out of the canyon and set off on my own route. In some locations there were abundant seedlings of Trifolium willdenovii growing out of the steep rocky slopes. This California native clover is a favorite of mine and is cultivated in our Sacramento garden.

I did not have much time remaining as I set off in this completely new direction. This route paid off quickly. Pellaea mucronata is seen frequently in the area, however this was my first sighting of Pellaea andromedifolia (pictured) in this area. Like Pellaea mucronata, P. andromedifolia is often found in hot, dry, sunny locations.

The annual, Lupinus benthamii has large racemes of lavender-blue flowers. I lost this species to cultivation. I am eager to get it reestablished in our Sacramento garden. It is a showy species well worth the effort to grow.

This was the perfect location to see Bush Lupine, Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons. They grew abundantly everywhere along this new route.

In this area, Lupinus albifrons showed considerable variance in various characteristics. Some plants bloomed prolifically; others expressed various shades of lavender-blue in their flower color, while others had a very compact growth habit or variation is the shape and shading of the foliage.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:20:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2018, 02:51:50 AM »

The exposed rock faces were often colonized by Dudleya cymosa.

A few had already started into bloom.

Dichelostemma capitatum ssp. capitatum was blooming abundantly on the hot rocky slopes and cliff faces.

This was the perfect situation! An abundant flight of Propertius Duskywings, Erynnis propertius, was attracted to the open flowers of the Dichelostemma flowers. I noted them on my previous outing to this area a few days ago, but I did not have the time to observe them closely. This time I had ample time to watch them before it was time to return to the farm.

Now it is time to get back to work. My next outing is scheduled for Thursday. We shall see. The remnants of a typhoon is scheduled to arrive about this time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:21:05 PM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »

Yesterday was one of those days where the synchronicity of events worked out perfectly the create an outstanding day for an outing. After working on a project on Peavine Ridge, I spent the afternoon in the canyon of the South Fork of the American River.

The wildflowers were outstanding, the weather was perfect and many of my photographs turned out okay.

Lupinus bicolor in its prime.

Phacelia imbricata blooming on rocky ledges and cliff faces.

The showy flowers of Mimulus kelloggii had started to open.

I will have a full report of this outing within a week or so.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Hoy

« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 06:46:09 AM »
Nice, Robert!

When so many different plants bloom here I would say it is summer!

Seems the spring has sprung here also. For the first time since last fall we will have a week without freezing nights and also get above 10C/50F during daytime.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:53:14 AM by Hoy »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal