We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2018  (Read 3827 times)

barnclos

Erythronium 2018
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
I received Erythronium caucasicum seed from Dr Pilous, and put them to soak yesterday. This morning I noticed that a couple of the seeds had 'protuberances' - I didn't take a close look at the seeds yesterday, but I have no doubt that they were already there, but perhaps a little more dehydrated/shrivelled. 

These are the seeds in question:
600943-0

These seeds are typical of the rest batch.
600945-1

I can convince myself that the protuberances are growing out from the seed, i.e. a shoot = germination = hooray. Is this just wishful thinking?

I am inclined to put them into moist vermiculite, so that I can keep an eye on them. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Best regards, and a Happy New Year to you all.
Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Erythronium 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
Keith,

The protuberances are not signs of germination but the remains of the elaiosomes, you will see them in this picture of fresh seed.
600947-0

Seed sown fresh will germinate the following spring but as you have recently received and are sowing the seed now I suspect that you will see no germination until spring 2019.

You will get more information in this Bulb Log
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Apr011427876967BULB_LOG_1315_erythronium.pdf
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

barnclos

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
Thanks Ian. I was initially prepared for germination next year (I had read that Bulb Log when I ordered the seed, but wishful thinking always overrides ageing memory), so they’ll get the ‘quiet corner treatment’ after all.
Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
Good luck I hope your efforts are rewarded with flowering plants in around 7 years.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Erythronium 2018
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
I'm not sure if these are early or about the same time and don't have any previous year pictures to check on. With all the snow in the past few weeks they have had one Hell of a lot of moisture and one E. dens-canis plant is way over.

Erythronium dens-canis609347-0

E. d-c 'Lilac Wonder' 609349-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Hello David,
                 My Erythronium dens canis in pots and under glass in cold frames flowered at the beginning of March and are now well over as well but the ones in the garden aren't showing anything yet. Hope they are still there? I have a few other Erythronium  appearing in pots as well but nothing outside at all. Its been a long cold dry spell here with no snow at all but we are getting light rain today. My father mentioned that yesterday the soil was still frozen about 5 inches down in his veg garden which would hopefully explain the lack of growth in the garden.

Alasdair

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:08:03 AM »
Erythronium albidum is almost over, while E. californicum and E. americanum are just hitting their stride.

609781-1
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Erythronium grandiflorum var. pallidum

Erythronium caucasicum
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
Hi Maggi, just spotted we have two threads running.  (edit  by maggi - fixed now David)

Lovely day today for a change and wonderful to go out and leave the overcoat and scarf at home. So early afternoon we went to Wildside on the first opening of the year, pictures later hopefully. Once back home I took a chance to picture some Erythroniums from the garden. Some of these were, perhaps, a little immature but, given the recent run of weather, it could be months before we get a fine day again! One other excuse for poor picture quality really came from a voice from the kitchen window ""You're not going to kneel down on a wet lawn in those jeans are you"" reply 'Well I was, because if I don't kneel down and try to photograph on my haunches I'll be sure to fall over and squash the lot of 'em'.

So here goes:-

Erythronium 'Craigton Cream' with many stems to open yet. A strong grower from the 'Craigton' Stable.
611740-0

This is one I have had for a few years now and my label says E. oregonum but I think, on the basis of my reading of Ian's book,  it's possibly E. californicum. Confirmation or otherwise? If I'd been kneeling down.............!

611746-3

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:36:19 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
Erythronium tuolumnense. Last year I had two flowers, this year only one in spite of a sulphate of potash feed last year. The leaves look in good 'nick' though and Ian regards this species as being relatively quick to multiply. Oh, the snail got to the flower before I did.

611768-0

611770-1

E. 'Craigton 'Cover Girl' again a cracking grower.

611772-2

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Last one, Erythronium 'Susannah' a John Walker hybrid I bought from Wildside on one of last year's visits.

611780-0

611782-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Hi Maggi, just spotted we have two threads running. 

Thanks David, the two threads are now merged
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
David, very nice Erythroniums! :)
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
Thank you Leena, I hope yours will be appearing soon.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 07:04:29 AM »
My first yellow Erythronium, get from Dobbies last year!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal