We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33582 times)

Mariette

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
If you buy a "new" snowdrop it will most likely be expensive and it most likely won't have been grown in a garden for many years to establish its garden worthiness.           

That´s part of the problem, I suppose. If a new seedling or find pops up, it´s regularly chipped or twin-scaled before being tested. Therefore, the seller won´t be able to give any informations regarding its reliability. As long as customers are willing to pay high prices for "new" snowdrops, only idealists will test the qualities of their novelties before sharing them with friends or releasing them to the market.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
Do you or Anne know if these are the same snowdrops which were found by Taavi Tuulik from Hiiumaa and sold by Sulev Savisaar in 2011 with only a plant number (Tuuliku 1,2,3 and so on)?
A friend of mine bought them then, and I got from her Tuuliku 2 and Tuuliku 9.  :)
Estonian Spirit is much better name than just a number. :)
Hi Leena, I only have Taavi's original numbers. If Sulev Savisaar gave them his own numbers, I have no way of knowing how they relate to the original numbering system. Tuuliku 2 and Tuuliku 9 might be the ones Taavi calls 2009/CS2 and 2009/CS9. I hope this helps.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Shauney

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
A couple of interesting finds from two different gardens.

David Lowndes

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
I like the twin. We’re there lots of each type or just odd ones?

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
This morning's patrol, once again in bright sunshine.

First up an absolutely stunning new addition to the yellows, Golden Promise from Ian Christie. This one goes straight into the Tier 1 yellow category, despite Ian telling me it will improve!! A lovely yellow colour and a beautiful shape. I had heard great things about this snowdrop and they were under-called. A worthy addition to Ian's excellent range.

Next up Spetchley Yellow, new for me, a gift from a friend who sent me several bulbs, so the rapid clump is not my doing. It is a lovey yellow.

Sarah Dumont continues to add to the delightful yellow colour in the bed and is increasing well.

Next, Andy Byfield's Whiter Than White. This has a brilliant white coloration with wonderful dark green inner markings. It has bulked quickly in a pot and the ground showing it is an excellent plant under all conditions.

Finally, Hughes Emerald, still going strong and providing an amazing spectacle in the garden. It has bulked to the point that it will certainly need cutting out of the pot.

Shauney

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
The one in pics 1 and 2 was just one flowering bulb and pics 3 and 4 there were 3 bulbs but only one was flowering.

David Lowndes

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
The one in pics 1 and 2 was just one flowering bulb and pics 3 and 4 there were 3 bulbs but only one was flowering.
Sorry not to be clear. I meant 3/4. 1/2 looks like two scapes which have fused. I have an Agapanthus which does this reliably every year. Nature or nurture?

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
Today after the frost I registred many new seedling under the left flower of an Elwesii snowdrop, this strain seems to be very fertile (Foto 1). What looks like gras near to the Eranthis, this are many fresh geminated galanthus seedlings.
In the next foto I compare my biggest Elwesii flowers with the normale of Galanthus nivalis (Foto 2)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:24:55 PM by Harald-Alex. »
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
I like that flying flock of Hughes Emerald. 
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »
Galanthus 'Desdamona' is bulking up nicely.

604595-0
604597-1
604599-2
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »
I hate to be a stickler for detail but we established without a shadow of a doubt in January that the correct name is 'Emerald Hughes' and not 'Hughes Emerald'.  See http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15937.msg386247#msg386247 .  Glen Chantry had corrected their nomenclature in time for the first sale of this year. 
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »
I hate to be a stickler for detail but we established without a shadow of a doubt in January that the correct name is 'Emerald Hughes' and not 'Hughes Emerald'.  See http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15937.msg386247#msg386247 .  Glen Chantry had corrected their nomenclature in time for the first sale of this year. 
Not sure about that - Chris Sanham recorded the conversations  he had with the NZ Nursery in 2006 to call it   Hughes Emerald.  Worth checking back on that, I think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Shauney

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
Sorry not to be clear. I meant 3/4. 1/2 looks like two scapes which have fused. I have an Agapanthus which does this reliably every year. Nature or nurture?

No probs David. Your correct! In pics 1 and 2 the two scapes have fused together. The other one has just one scape. It would be nice if it proves to be stable but I'm not holding my breath! I found a post from March 2016 #182 which shows magnet doing the same thing. Presumably that plant only done it the once as I can't see anything about it from 2017.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
 Quote from Matt Bishop : First ever listing by Johan Mens' on eBay of a member of the G. nivalis Belle Etoiles Group, 'Lange Wapper'. Follow the link below. DEFINITELY NOT TO BE MISSED.

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Galanthus-nivalis-Lange-Wapper/183063512064?hash=item2a9f6f8400%3Ag%3Act4AAOSw%7Eo5aeECY

Johan Mens comments :  Thanks Matt ! It has been trialled for years in rather poor soil and even there it was always 30+ cm High. So far my highest in the true Belles Etoiles section.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Johan Mens

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
That´s part of the problem, I suppose. If a new seedling or find pops up, it´s regularly chipped or twin-scaled before being tested. Therefore, the seller won´t be able to give any informations regarding its reliability. As long as customers are willing to pay high prices for "new" snowdrops, only idealists will test the qualities of their novelties before sharing them with friends or releasing them to the market.
Hi Mariette, if one wants to test plants , it can take a lot of years to do it well. I have quite some tested now, but  many on a more sandy soil... when a range of them go to a goad loamy soil, some really transform and become substantially better. Or the type of green can get different, darker, more extended etc... Especially regarding to scharlockii : a good range of them  need some adaptation to the new home. When settled, their performance will get to full potential.
Johan Mens, Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal