We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33956 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Sheryl Jermyn has some news of Jim Jermyn........

BREAKING NEWS: Check out BBC Breakfast News on BBC1 tomorrow morning - Saturday 24 Feb - to see my Dad, Jim Jermyn, botanist / horticulturalist and Head Gardener / Property Manager at Branklyn Garden, do a piece on rare snowdrops!!! 

Michael Myers  was included :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43174324/are-you-suffering-from-galanthomania

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
'Green Light' growing nicely in North America.

Growing superbly well, I would say.  The green on the outer petals can be just a small dot, sometimes.  You have the marks as large as they ever get.
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
Dodo Norton looking good in the sunshine today.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
Ditto

Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Bart

« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2018, 08:58:33 PM »
No name, no id, but glorious in the winter sun today..

606118-0

606120-1

606122-2

606124-3

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
Brief flash of sunshine amidst the snow on a very cold morning patrol.

First up Greenkeeper from Anne Wright. I like this green tipped variety. it has good strong green colour. Both mine are increasing well, both in the ground and pot.

Next Praha, this one in my swaps/spares pot. Reported to be slow and difficult but not so for me. Delightful colour and diminutive, holds it's own despite it's size because of colour and shape.

Next Tante Anne from Andreas Händel, which he describes as ' the only double flowered G. nivalis with five outer petals and green markings on the outer sides". It is an odd looking drop but not unattractive.

Next, one of the freaks Green Maid! Not to my taste at all but catches the eye nevertheless.

Finally Lucy, bulking incredibly well and looking wonderful today, it has been flowering for an age.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
How pretty  'Lucy' is!   Quite like 'Praha' too ..... I'll make no comment about 'Green Maid' !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lowndes

« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
Nice selection. I like Lucy too.  What are you doing about your pots in this cold weather?  I’ve sunk my larger snowdrop pots in a trench in our polytunnel.  The many smaller pots are in the heated greenhouse ...with the lemons! Seems weird. The garden drops will just have to cope. A bit concerned about the reginae-olgaes

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
What do you think of this one?  I thought it looked quite striking, went to consult my notes as to which named cultivar it was and found that it was actually a snowdrop I found as a single bulb in 2014.  It has just got to the stage when you can appreciate it as a group; the first time in its existence. 

I'm quite taken with the pinched green and white tip.  I don't think we have the concise terminology to convey this effect.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:39:37 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Susan W

« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »
Yes like it a lot. Looks a good one.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »
Growing superbly well, I would say.  The green on the outer petals can be just a small dot, sometimes.  You have the marks as large as they ever get.

Thank you, Alan. I will show another with both flowers more opened up when we get a few rays of sun.

Also, on your 2014 foundling...that is quite a lovely bloom with an elegant long form and as you say the pinched apical mark on the outers simply accentuates its elegance to my eye. Is it nivalis? Lovely. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
Is it nivalis?

14 years ago I chanced across a wood with a large population of Galanthus nivalis.  Many nivalis populations in England are not very fertile and they rely mostly on natural division to bulk-up the stock then man, animals or nature to spread the bulbs around.  But in this particular wood you see large quantities of seedlings and as a result the snowdrops growing there are much more diverse than is usual here.  We got permission from the landowner to remove a few bulbs and I have been returning every year since to see what I can find.  I have never yet found more than a few of any one type or a few different types of interest in any one year.  Most things that I find and think might be promising come to nothing.  But this one is looking good and it has increased quite rapidly.       
Almost in Scotland.

François Lambert

« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »
but I have a question.  The clumps of Galanthus growing near the spruce trees seem to shrink every year (from left on the bedroom view pic).  Could it be that the needles falling from the trees have made the soil too acidic ?  And would it help then to sprinkle some lime on the soil.  I don't think shade is an issue, I have many clumps prospering in deeper shaded areas of the garden, but there they do not grow under conifers.  Your advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you all for you advise.  I think water & nutrients are probably not the problem, the soil is a heavy clay soil which keeps it's moisture very well even when rain does not fall for a couple for months (happened last year) and since I use a mulchmower for the lawn the soil even accumulates nutrients.  So that leaves me with the shade as major problem.  There's also a rhododendron growing there, which makes it indeed a dark spot and the sherry tree at the right also grows bigger every year.  I will cut off the lowest branches of the spruces to allow more light getting in from the South.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
I'm quite taken with the pinched green and white tip.  I don't think we have the concise terminology to convey this effect.

Very nice find Alan, the term is goffering to indicate the pinched green part - often seen in what I always think of as Bohemian snowdrops.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »
So that leaves me with the shade as major problem. 

In one location I visit there is a big colony of Galanthus plicatus, self-set around some trees.  One tree is deciduous and is surrounded by snowdrops right up to the trunk.  The other tree is an evergreen yew and there are no snowdrops at all close to the trunk; nothing within a 1 m radius and little within 2 m. The contrast in growth habits is very striking. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal