We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33583 times)

Shauney

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »
An interesting nivalis find today. Shame that one of the outers wasn't quite perfect but still a nice find.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 07:37:20 AM »
We have winter with snow and frosts till - 10°C during the nights now, but the snowdrops resist this bad weather.
We hope for better weather next week.

Foto 1: - the Elwesii snowdrop flower are more white than the snow!
Foto 2: - the Anglesey Abbey snowdrops covered with the Union Jack!
Foto 3: - Godfrey Owen with the six flowerleaves.
Foto 4: - Diggory, the lampignon-snowdrop!
Foto 5: - a new seedling direct near the warm wall
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

David Lowndes

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
They are amazing at coping with low temperatures although snow does give significant insulation. Yesterday was -2C here (I know, but we’re not used to it!) and several snowdrops in the garden were horizontal - leaves and Flowers.  Particularly seems to be a characteristic of plicatus which tend to show that feature in their leaves in any case - just an observation.
By the afternoon the greenhouse was too hot and the vents opened for the first time since November although obviously not the first time there had been daytime ventilation.  Some of the snowdrops in pots went a bit flaccid. Had to rush about modifying environmental parameters!

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
Brief period of sunshine for this morning's patrol amid the rain.

First up, one of Anne Wright's new Dryad Gold series, Dryad Gold Star. I love this variety, diminutive with with a long narrow ovary, a wonderful colour to the inner and slight ribbing on the outers. The leaves are low-lying. Planted amongst others in the Dryad Gold series the size difference is marked The series keeps exceeding my expectations for beauty and they are excellent garden plants.

Next Estonian Spirit Kaina one of the Estonian Spirit series, developed by Taavi Tuulik and obtained from Anne Wright. These varieties have a paler grey green look to them, similar to Ghost. My first thought, with the pale colouration, was that they might be were weak but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they are increasing.

Estonian Spirit 2009/CS9 one of the clones discovered in abandoned gardens and woods in Estonia. Again, increasing well and seems robust. Another great addition to the yellows. Also currently available from Anne on Ebay!

Next Chrome Yellow a new one for me and a very welcome addition to my yellows. Lovely clean yellow colour with a delightful shape. Obtained from the Thorps so it will undoubtedly bulk quickly.

Finally, Ecusson D'or' Simon Savage variation. This has clumped very quickly and has lasted well. Still flowering strongly after a number of weeks. For me this performs better in a pot under glass.

David Lowndes

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
I really like Ecusson D’or. I bought it last year and it didn’t thrive. When I checked in the summer there was no fungus but there were mites and lots of little bulbils. I cleaned it all up and soaked all the samples in a compound pesticide - it may have been Roseclear - and planted them all in a pot. I’m pleased to say that the main bulb has a flower and there are 7/8 smaller bulbs growing with it. So, hopefully, a success ful rescue.

Not so happy about another expensive yellow - Mother Goose. The first one I bought in 2016 and it flowered beautifully - a brilliant yellow orange so I bought another.  This year both of them are green. I notice there is some talk about ‘changlings’ in some of the catalogues/websites. I’m not sure about this as a real phenomenon but could be wrong. I just want my Mother Geese to be brilliant yellow again. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:23:40 PM by David Lowndes »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:29 PM »
I thought 'changelings' were supposed to be flowers that changed colour in the same season. This sort of changeling would seem to be the unwelcome kind that the fairies left!
Must have a look at my MG. She's been the right colour for 2 years so far.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
In the oldest place of my snowdropgarden many years G. nivalis and G. elwesii grow together. From the fertile seeds I find yearly new seedlings, select this plantlets and wait for the first flower.

Foto 1. - old snowdrop place with seedlings of G. nivalis, G. elwesii (and hybrids?)
Foto 2. - one of the seedling in flower

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »
David, I understand that the colour of yellow snowdrops is better when they are grown in soil that is on the acid side. If you're on a slightly alkaline soil it might be worth trying to acidify the area around them.

I also wonder if they might try to produce more chlorophyll, making then more green if they are growing in a shady location?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2018, 06:22:38 PM »
Finally, a break in the winter weather in SE Massachusetts, US and the dwarf Hamamelis vernalis 'Quasimodo' is just starting to show as well as a few elwesii opening up today. This is G. e. 'Standing Tall'.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:25:33 PM by Rick Goodenough »
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »
 What size is the " dwarf Hamamelis vernalis 'Quasimodo' ", Rick?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Finally, a break in the winter weather in SE Massachusetts, US and the dwarf Hamamelis vernalis 'Quasimodo' is just starting to show as well as a few elwesii opening up today. This is G. e. 'Standing Tall'.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Hallo Rick, wellcome back to the snowdrop saison after the strong winterweather in USA! :-)
I wish You many new snowdrop flowers day by day!

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
What size is the " dwarf Hamamelis vernalis 'Quasimodo' ", Rick?
Hey Maggi,
'Quasimodo' is a new add to my garden and is only about 18" tall. I have read where it matures at three to four feet high and wide. Since woody plants keep growing, that may an estimate of size at 10 years. It is known to be quite fragrant.

We need more dwarf shrubs!

Rick

David Lowndes

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
David, I understand that the colour of yellow snowdrops is better when they are grown in soil that is on the acid side. If you're on a slightly alkaline soil it might be worth trying to acidify the area around them.

I also wonder if they might try to produce more chlorophyll, making then more green if they are growing in a shady location?

Thanks Matt - I can see where you’re coming from but my soil is good for yellows and I grow quite a few.  The issue with Mother Goose is that it is unreliably yellow. I was talking to Joe Sharman about this today and he says there are many “changlings” - he prefers to call them ‘Chameleons’ - and that mine will revert to yellow next year.  He says that some others revert to green permanently though.  I think my concern is that I didn’t know any of this when I was sold the snowdrops and, tbh, I think we should be told these things when dealing with reputable sellers. It is a beautiful yellow though but only when it is!

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »
Hallo Rick, wellcome back to the snowdrop saison after the strong winterweather in USA! :-)
I wish You many new snowdrop flowers day by day!

Thank you, Harald. I hope there will be many more warmer days to follow this one!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »
Thanks Matt - I can see where you’re coming from but my soil is good for yellows and I grow quite a few.  The issue with Mother Goose is that it is unreliably yellow. I was talking to Joe Sharman about this today and he says there are many “changlings” - he prefers to call them ‘Chameleons’ - and that mine will revert to yellow next year.  He says that some others revert to green permanently though.  I think my concern is that I didn’t know any of this when I was sold the snowdrops and, tbh, I think we should be told these things when dealing with reputable sellers. It is a beautiful yellow though but only when it is!

I take your point, David -  it seems there are too many cases when  such information is not  clearly stated - perhaps because " galanthophiles already know these things" - well, they don't!  And  they do deserve to be told  how stable or otherwise a  plant may be.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal