We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33702 times)

François Lambert

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »
The carpet of Galanthus in the garden is since one week again in full splendor.  The warm month of January has speeded them up.

but I have a question.  The clumps of Galanthus growing near the spruce trees seem to shrink every year (from left on the bedroom view pic).  Could it be that the needles falling from the trees have made the soil too acidic ?  And would it help then to sprinkle some lime on the soil.  I don't think shade is an issue, I have many clumps prospering in deeper shaded areas of the garden, but there they do not grow under conifers.  Your advise will be much appreciated.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
I can't answer about spruce trees, but I just have to say that I love that last picture where your cat is walking among snowdrops. :)
Animals find their way around plants, and don't walk on them.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
Oh!  That's a cat? I thought it was a black panther!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Oh!  That's a cat? I thought it was a black panther!

If you look at my profile picture, the kitten on my shoulder, it's the same cat but about 7 year older now.  He walks around the snowdrops but he also loves to do his need in freshly planted flower pots :-(
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Shauney

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
A nice rounded shaped nivalis flower with lovely ribbed outers. It's hard to show these in the pics and they look much better in real life. ( Luckily the birds didn't eat all the flowers before I discovered it! )

David Lowndes

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
The carpet of Galanthus in the garden is since one week again in full splendor.  The warm month of January has speeded them up.

but I have a question.  The clumps of Galanthus growing near the spruce trees seem to shrink every year (from left on the bedroom view pic).  Could it be that the needles falling from the trees have made the soil too acidic ?  And would it help then to sprinkle some lime on the soil.  I don't think shade is an issue, I have many clumps prospering in deeper shaded areas of the garden, but there they do not grow under conifers.  Your advise will be much appreciated.

Do you feed your snowdrops?  If not, competition for minerals could explain what is happening.  The snowdrops are having to compete with quite thick grass as well as the trees. Also, the moisture regime could be affecting them. Perhaps the soil near the spruce is too dry in the summer? Just some ideas.

Mariette

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
That is very pretty! I really like the small-flowered plants, and a well-balanced whole plant is more important than just flower size.

Proportions  are most important for me, be it small or large snowdrops. For instance, I like this one especially, due to it´s graceful habit.

Jacek

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »
Do you feed your snowdrops?  If not, competition for minerals could explain what is happening.  The snowdrops are having to compete with quite thick grass as well as the trees. Also, the moisture regime could be affecting them. Perhaps the soil near the spruce is too dry in the summer? Just some ideas.

Francois,

I don't think acidity is an issue. Rather a complex shortage: sun, nutrients and water.

In lowland Central Europe, where I live, water shortage might be the central issue. We get only about 600 mm rain yearly and the soil is sandy. The spruces are effective water suckers year-round, they transpirate also in winter. Last but not least - their dense canopies prevent rain water and especially snow to penetrate down to the ground. I have two spruces in my garden and the soil below their canopies is constantly dry. Watering in early spring is difficult.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »
...The clumps of Galanthus growing near the spruce trees seem to shrink every year ...

Snowdrops and evergreens never seem to mix well.  Snowdrops don't mind a dry summer rest but when in leaf they need light and moisture.  I imagine that under or near fir trees it is too dark and too dry for them to thrive when in leaf.  They struggle to get enough energy to replenish themselves and will gradually die-out. 
Almost in Scotland.

Jacek

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:12 PM »
So many nice snowdrops in this thread, I've seen them all.

Here it is still winter, very mild though. So far no true deep freezing, almost no snow, absolute minimum temp about -10 C; no winter at all I would say. Today sun, 0 C, no snow.

I have only the most common snowdrops in my garden and now they are in their early stage that I like most. Despite my broken leg I decided to visit the garden and do some poor quality pictures.

My first love is G. nivalis flore pleno. I like the fat flower at any stage, but most at the very beginning, when thick white bud shows up in between the leaves. It also starts blooming earlier and ends later than plain G. nivalis
604736-0
604738-1
604740-2

My second love is the plain nivalis. It is so elegant. Moreover, all my plants were "imported" from my neighbours for free.
604742-3

My third love is G. elwesii - a mixture from cheap trade. Not only big but also hardy and proliferating well. Somewhat too early for our climate - always shows buds before true winter arrives. Despite that - survived the worst winters without damage so far.
604744-4

Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Not love at all - G. woronowii - from local garden center. I do not like the green leaves and the flowers are not elegant enough. On the top - it is not hardy enough. I observe some damage almost every year. Not this year as we are not having true winter, yet.
604746-0

I also have a few named snowdrops - the old, cheaper ones. And G. plicatus - I'm not sure, I think it grows and blooms much later.

I like them all, but I am not a galanophile.
Hobby woodland gardening

Si_33

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
'John Long'

I bought a couple of bulbs from Matt Bishop three or four years ago and it has been a great addition.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:39:23 PM by Si_33 »

Josh Nelson

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »

As others have said, it is most likely lack of moisture in the growing season; Galanthus and most woodland spring ephemerals are partners of deciduous trees and not conifers for this reason (and light although I think moisture is the issue here).  I'd relocate the snowdrops and perhaps try something like Cyclamen hederifolium, which may work better although I couldn't confirm that myself

Josh Nelson

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
Not love at all - G. woronowii - from local garden center. I do not like the green leaves and the flowers are not elegant enough. On the top - it is not hardy enough. I observe some damage almost every year. Not this year as we are not having true winter, yet.

At least your woronowii look to have good sized flowers; there are some much smaller flowered clones about and these look much better

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Dryad Gold Sovereign continues to light up the garden after more than a month in flower. The flowers are much larger than Primrose Warburg - Sovereign on the right, PW on the left.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal