We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33970 times)

ielaba2011

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
I brought this Galanthus from England last May. They were "in the green" plants and I planted them straight away, when I arrived at my home in Portugal. They went into a shady part of the garden, with good soil, still I amended the soil with more organic matter... They stayed in the ground for all the long and hot portuguese summer, they got good watering each week in Jully and August, the same amount as other plants recieved. I  was really hopeful they would survive...and they did! BUT, they only rewarded me with 1 flower..and a lot of leaves..a bit mean  ;D still, it was worth the effort. I assume they are Galanthus nivalis from a rather commum variety, but for me they are special. 
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »
I brought this Galanthus from England last May. They were "in the green" plants and I planted them straight away, when I arrived at my home in Portugal. They went into a shady part of the garden, with good soil, still I amended the soil with more organic matter... They stayed in the ground for all the long and hot portuguese summer, they got good watering each week in Jully and August, the same amount as other plants recieved. I  was really hopeful they would survive...and they did! BUT, they only rewarded me with 1 flower..and a lot of leaves..a bit mean  ;D still, it was worth the effort. I assume they are Galanthus nivalis from a rather commum variety, but for me they are special.

Hallo Ielaba,
your snowdropflower is the first step to become a "galanthomane"! :-)
I got last week a paket with snowdrop-varieties in the green from "Harveys Garden Plants" and they came good here. So I got "John Grey" with big flowers and "South Hayes" with the special outhergreen flower. I think, they develop in my garden well and flower next year again! Greetings from Germany - Harald
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
A lovely morning patrol in the bright sunshine again, a little cold though. A great day for clumps.

First, Morgana continues to be the star of the show, a wonderful garden plant, even my satellite clumps are increasing. The good news is that Andy Byfield tells me he will be offering a very small number soon. For lovers of beautiful snowdrops, virescents and good do'ers it is a must.

Next, Pearl Drops, an absolute stunner from Michael Broadhurst. Very distinctive inner with a real shine to the light green that certainly reflects the light and gives the pearl element of the name.  If you see this one offered it is well worth adding to your collection.

Then Bankside a very vigorous grower for me, this looks like another one I will have to cut out of the pot in the dormant period. A great tussle between it and Hughes Emerald!

Finally, Flocon de Neige which started slow, but is now increasing
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:07:04 PM by Maggi Young »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
An interest-in/obsession-with snowdrops is often referred to as "Galanthomania".  This draws a parallel with the historical phenomenon of "Tulipomania" when the Dutch went a bit mad for tulips, leading to a tulip price bubble and subsequent market crash.  Harald-Alex suggested a name for a sufferer from Galanthomania, an alternative that occurred to me might be "Galanthomaniac".  I am Alan and I am a Galanthomaniac.
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
picked up my bulbs from Monksilver Nursery yesterday at Nettetal:
Walrus
Blonde Inge (probably more light-greenish than yellow)
Wendy's Gold
Mrs Thompson (really like the size of this flower!)
Trumps, three for the price of one! (think I got this one from avon bulbs though)
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

David Lowndes

« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
Trying G. krasnovii. Has anyone had any success with this?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:43:26 PM by Maggi Young »

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
Trying G. krasnovii. Has anyone had any success with this?

Yes, I grow a number of them, both under glass and out in the garden, they grow well.

David Lowndes

« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
I hope I can get them established. They get extra ‘attention’ (fuss).
Thanks for the edit Maggi.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
The very, very tiny but lovely Galanthus alpinus var. alpinus.

605459-0
605461-1
605463-2
605465-3
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
The very, very tiny but lovely Galanthus alpinus var. alpinus.

I saw several populations of Galanthus alpinus in Turkey last year.  The ones growing in an alpine meadow were quite small but we saw some larger ones amongst trees on a steep bank by the roadside.  So although the ones you have are tiny and cute, that's probably not representative of the species as a whole. 
Almost in Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
I saw several populations of Galanthus alpinus in Turkey last year.  The ones growing in an alpine meadow were quite small but we saw some larger ones amongst trees on a steep bank by the roadside.  So although the ones you have are tiny and cute, that's probably not representative of the species as a whole.
Quite. And to illustrate the point, here is Galanthus schaoricus, which I am told is a synonym of Galanthus alpinus var. alpinus. Much taller at flowering - flower not open due to dull wet day here.

605536-0

Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Shauney

« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »
Found this lovely double today and it's absolutely huge! Measuring in at 60mm across.

sokol

« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
Always packed in some snow and no open flowers.

Some yellows

605544-0

Trumps at a sunnier place with less snow.

Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
Quite a few mentions and photos of Galanthus plicatus 'Sarah Dumont' in the forum - but can anyone tell me the history of this  plant - where it originated, who the person Sarah Dumont  might be etc.....  ??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
Quite a few mentions and photos of Galanthus plicatus 'Sarah Dumont' in the forum - but can anyone tell me the history of this  plant - where it originated, who the person Sarah Dumont  might be etc.....  ??

Answering my own question again! Found this on a Monksilver ad on Ebay ..."A yellow snowdrop named by Joe for a lady who worked for him for 20 years"
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal