We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33957 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:13 AM »
I live in a mediterranean country and I'm not completey sure if Galanthus can be happy in here.

There are snowdrop species that are native to Greece, including some of the Greek islands and to the coastal regions of Turkey.  Some of these snowdrop species, like reginae-olgae and peshmenii, are barely hardy enough to grow in the UK and many people who grow them here use bulb frames to give additional protection.  They may need a woodland setting but they are native to the Mediterranean and enjoy a Mediterranean climate.  Does Lisbon actually have a Mediterranean climate?   
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
The G. elwesii looks really special with marks on tips and shoulders!

I agree.  Green marks on the "shoulders" are much rarer than green marks on the tips.
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
Thank you for your answer Harald.
I see myself already as some sort of frustrated Galanthomane/Galantophile, but unfortunatly I live in a mediterranean country and I'm not completey sure if Galanthus can be happy in here. I belive that you should grow the right plant for the right place, even though I had some success with this first bulbs, I'm still a bit sceptic about whether it is hardy to zone 9 with hot summers. Let's see what future brings to this this first clump, only then I can dream about all those fancy and beautiful varieties you guys show in here. I loved  "South Hayes", those flowers are perfect! <33
Thank you, Greetings from Lisbon!

What about galanthus reginae-olgae or peshmenii? I'm no expert, but they seem to prefer somewhat warmer conditions.
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Mariette

« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »
...I'd like a poc with good green marks on the outers too if you can manage it!

Perhaps this couple will do the job?

steve owen

« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
And I bought Galanthus 'Spotty Muldoon' from amongst the plants offered by Phil Cornish. 
(Attachment Link)    
That is such a Phil Cornish name.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »
Thank you for your answer Harald.
I see myself already as some sort of frustrated Galanthomane/Galantophile, but unfortunatly I live in a mediterranean country and I'm not completey sure if Galanthus can be happy in here. I belive that you should grow the right plant for the right place, even though I had some success with this first bulbs, I'm still a bit sceptic about whether it is hardy to zone 9 with hot summers. Let's see what future brings to this this first clump, only then I can dream about all those fancy and beautiful varieties you guys show in here. I loved  "South Hayes", those flowers are perfect! <33
Thank you, Greetings from Lisbon!

Hallo Ielaba,
thank You for Your answer. I think, it is possible for You to cultivate snowdrops too. I send You the atlascard of the homelands of the wild galanthus varieties and there You see, that many of the galanthus live in Greece, Turkey, Krim, Syria, Iran in areas, where the temperatures higher as in UK or Germany. I think, the hot summer-temperatures are not a great probleme, when the snowdrop-bulbs are in the dry soil, covered with mulch or dry brown leaves for isolation. For instant: the Galanthus reginae-olgae from Greece flowers in october, when the soil will be wet after the first september-rains. They do not need wintertemperatures, to start growing!
When You compare the average month temperatures from Portugal and Greece, You find more similarties as to UK or Germany!
So I think, it is worth to start and try this interesting hobby!
(I myselve start an experiment to cultivate Lotos plants from river Nil, because gardener have found, that the leaves of this plants stop growth in Autumn and the plant survives in waterponds in more than 80 cm waterdeep icefree. In spring they start again to grow and flower next summer!)
Greetings from Germany Harald Alex
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this plant? It came to me with an almost illegible label which I think said 'Double Bill'
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2018, 07:41:52 PM »
'Moses Basket' looks very inscrutable as it stubbornly refuses to leave its outer segments in a normal pose. I think I prefer it that way.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »
I was asked how weatherproof the Estonian Spirit group are. Estonia has very hard winters (mild this year at -13C), and they are happy so far out on my raised bed, HS2, here in North Yorkshire.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mariette

« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:42 PM »
'Moses Basket' looks very inscrutable as it stubbornly refuses to leave its outer segments in a normal pose. I think I prefer it that way.
I´d prefer it that way, too! Looks like a friendly Asian.

steve owen

« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:53 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this plant? It came to me with an almost illegible label which I think said 'Double Bill'
Anne, my records show that my Double Bill came from Jenny Homewood a year ago.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2018, 05:36:09 AM »

Hallo Annew, this galanthus I found in my garden this year:
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »
Hallo Annew, this galanthus I found in my garden this year:
Poirot! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
Jaime I can grow Galanthus reginae-olgae in South Australia where we have very hot dry conditions during summer and not that much rainfall. They are growing with other irises, arils, Albuca etc and get no supplementary watering.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2018, 01:45:02 PM »
Morning patrol today, brief sunshine but cold with a poculiform theme.

First up Annielle from Ian Christie and Cyril Lafong, named for Cyril's wife. I love this snowdrop's beauty and poise and am becoming a real enthusiast for the Pocs.

Swan lake, looking absolutely lovely, another from the Ian Christie/Cyril Lafong stable! This drop caused the usual domestic, my AT rates this as the Number 1 Poc, I prefer Annielle. How I enjoyed the hour lecture on Kant's notions of beauty and the sublime!! :)

Next, the old favourite EA Bowles, a Michael Myers discovery. Large and imposing, a statement drop in the garden.

Then Seraph, one of my favourites, majestic looking and clumping very well. The fact that this variety was believed lost and did a Lazarus gives it a special appeal.

Next Angelique, looking lovely amongst the Cyclamen.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal