We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2018 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 2170 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
February 2018 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »
Yesterday's high temperature at our Placerville, California farm was 73 F (22.8 C) a record for the date. All week high temperatures are forecast to be at record levels. Needless to say the garden is rapidly coming into growth and bloom.

Canarina canariensis is still throwing a flower or two.

Moraea polystachya has been blooming for a month now.

A nice seedling of Rhododendron moupinense.

The first flowers of Sisyrinchium bellum.

I bought these Crocus as Crocus biflorus ssp. isauricus. I do not trust the labels on plants I purchase. The Crocus in our front yard are much more established, but have not started blooming yet.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

Re: February 2018 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
Remodeling and construction is finally winding down at our Sacramento home.

A view of our new aviary.

Another view of our new aviary. Now that the construction has ended the garden can be cleaned up. There will be many new places to plant!  ;D

Our new front window door.

When the light is on, Guadalupe can be seen well beyond our front yard. Everyone loves seeing her!
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

GordonT

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
Robert, the aviary looks great! Smart to have a screened vestibule, and second door to prevent escapees. What birds do you raise?

Today we had 6 white Tail deer grazing in our upper field. That was down from the all time high when there were ten deer up there last week. I don't mind them at distance from the house, and they don't seem to bother the garden when the snow is gone... BUT... They have severely damaged several young Japanese maples in the past, and are unaffected when they graze the dormant flower buds from rhododendrons. That is when I have dreams of venison on the plate!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Robert

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »
Hi Gordon,

Right now we have three cockatiels and one canary. They are all flighted. I am sure we will end up with more birds. Three of our birds are rescues, but we have no special need birds at this time.

Deer that eat Rhododendron! Sometimes they eat the buds and then spit them out.  ::)   ???   >:(

Here (Placerville), the wild turkeys are full of hormones. My brother was attacked by a tom turkey the other day. They even chase the car! Their spurs are nothing to fool with!

I certainly hope the deer keep their distance from your garden.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
We have had over a week now of record or near record high temperatures (73 F 22.8 C plus ) here in Northern California. The garden is dry and needs to be watered. In addition, many species are coming into bloom extremely early.

Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii coming into bloom. The high elevation forms have only just started to emerge from the ground. Some of the Erythroniums may have open flowers today.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
The warm weather, with record to near record high temperatures continues. There were very few chilling hours this winter and many species are completely out of synchronization from there "normal" patterns.

Eranthis hyemalis is just emerging from the ground. An example of a species out of synchronization.

Erythronium multisapideum getting ready to bloom. I am pleased to have some good colonies starting to get established in our Sacramento, California garden.

Potted Cyclamen persicum are looking good.

A pure white Cyclamen persicum in the foreground. A few other species with be coming into bloom soon.

The first flowers of Lewisia cotyledon are opening.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »

Crocus are starting to bloom in our front yard. I moved many around last summer and they still need to settle in a bit.

I grew this from seed labeled as Hesperanths latifolia. I will build up stock and give them a try in the open garden. I do not mind bright colors at all.

Sisyrinchium bellum - I wish I could get a better photograph of this common native California species. It looked great yesterday - loaded with open flowers. 100% xeric, however tolerant of summer moisture. I have a number of different selections in our Sacramento, California garden. I will be doing some intraspecific breeding to see where I can take this species. Fun!  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
Robert,

your spring certainly is advanced! Nothing except a few snowdrops in my garden. Here at the mountain cabin it is full winter with a lot of snow.

I like your new construction! It looks great. Wouldn't take a load of snow though ;-) Had to remove the snow at the cabin roof in case we get more (and we will for certain!)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:07:08 PM »
604694-0

The cabin. More snow than in years! The spruce is not native but Picea glauca a think.

604696-1

Snow clad Betula pubescens ssp. czerepanovii which is very common at the tree limit.

604698-2

A few native spruces, Picea abies with the birches.

604700-3

Tree limit.

604702-4
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:13:01 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:17 AM »
Trond,

I love the scenes of the snow. Very  8) No pun intended.  :)

The scenes remind me of being at my grandfather's cabin at Calpine, in Sierra Valley, California. We just got "Our Prize, No. 7", the old wood burning cook stove from my grandfather's cabin, back from the welder. She needed some repairs and she will soon be back in fine shape. A little sanding and some stove black and she will be as good as new!  8)  :)  I remember being about 7-8 years old and standing around Our Prize to get dry and warm after playing in the snow at Calpine.

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs. How deep is the snow? From your reports, it seems like it may be June or July before you see bare earth again in this area.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
The winter is still deep outside, but inside something is already happening :-)
As you can see, the pots with the seedlings are getting more and more :-) .... here Clematis, Gentiana, etc.

Cymbidium hookerianum
605800-0
Dendroboim heterocarpum
605802-1
and Coelogyne tsii (=eccarinata)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:57:22 AM by Catwheazle »
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Robert

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 11:46:16 PM »
I was actually able to take a few photographs before the rain and thunderstorm arrived yesterday.

Erythronium multiscapideum is blooming and the colonies are starting to increase in the garden now.

The first of the Blue Dicks, Dichelostemma capitatum, are coming into bloom. More are coming on.

Narcissus fernandesii, at least that is what the seed pack said.

Narcissus triandrus. I always enjoy them.  8)

The early Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii at their prime.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 11:50:20 PM »

I like the texture of the emerging leaves of California Buckeye, Aesculus californica.

Arctostaphylos densiflora in our Sacramento garden. Many new selections are coming along.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal