We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aroids (the family Araceae) 2018  (Read 7034 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Aroids (the family Araceae) 2018
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
A group of cowled figures came to grief while attempting to cross a ravine!
#gnomesintrouble!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

Re: Aroids (the family Araceae) 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
A rescue effort has managed to bring several Biarum davisii tubers to the surface
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
Raised a smile - thanks Fermi!  :)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

François Lambert

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
A very nice clump of Arum Maculatum growing under one of the pollarded willows.  I only noticed these this year because the area has been cleared of old vegetation when I was cutting teh wood of the willow.  Normally the spot is overgrown with nettles.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:14:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Bart

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
All A. maculatum seem to have suffered this year with the climatic conditions in my part of North Yorkshire, quite harsh cold/northerly wind/dry/high uv. This Arum italicum (I think) looked great though today, full open, unlike any of my A. maculatum :

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:13:23 PM by Maggi Young »

Mariette

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
The slugs were swifter than me to discover the first flower of this arum. The seed came from Turkey 11 years ago, labeled Arum species. Now that it flowers I think it´s Arum dioscoridis.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:16:45 AM by Mariette »

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Fermi I believe your pictures show Biarum marmariense. I had it labelled as davisii too but I am now fairly sure it isn't. Is that crack in the soil just from drought shrinking your clay subsoil?  :o
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Bart

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
The slugs were swifter than me to discover the first flower of this arum. The seed came from Turkey 11 years ago, labeled Arum species. Now that it flowers I think it´s Arum dioscoridis.

Mariette, I think you are right. There are a few forms on the market; spectabile, liepoldtii and syriacum. I do not know if those names are official subspecies or just horticultural variations.  From your picture it looks like liepoldtii. I grow it in a pot this year and it has developed 2 flower scapes on one stem, a bit odd. I will post a picture when it opens in a few days, if it does at all. Many of my Arums have trouble opening fully, or at all, this year and I have no idea why. Some are very nice, like the A. dioscoridis (syriacum). This is a full month later than in London, where I saw it flower on  May 5th in chelsea Phisic Garden.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:00:14 PM by Maggi Young »

Mariette

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
Thank You for Your information, Bart! The seedlings were kept for many years in deep pots in my frost-free greenhouse where they grew very well but refused to flower. Rather in despair I planted them out in places where they might survive. In this case it obviously worked well.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
Fermi I believe your pictures show Biarum marmariense. I had it labelled as davisii too but I am now fairly sure it isn't. Is that crack in the soil just from drought shrinking your clay subsoil?  :o
Hi Jamus,
Sorry I thought that I'd responded already but my reply seems to have vanished into the ether.
I had suspected that this is B.marmariense but as it came from Otto I was hesitant to question it!
The soil had been cracking quite badly during the summer here - the soil is quite reactive and the movement plays havoc with rock walls especially!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Graham Catlow

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
To my surprise and extreme delight this Arisaema flavum has appeared.
Three years ago when we moved from Edinburgh I must have put it in this pot and don't remember seeing it since. I think I may have emptied the pot a couple of times and seen the small bulb but had no idea what it was so just put it back.
Its seems it the only Arisaema that survived the move. I lost elephas,consanguinium, and griffithii.

Bo'ness. Scotland

ruweiss

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
The cultivation of A.fargesii and A.candidissimum in big pots is quite easy
and rewarding for me. I love the tropical display of the huge leaves, the flowers are an extra bonus.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

ArnoldT

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 12:19:08 AM »
Rudi:

I think you solved the problem I have with A. candidissimum always flowering and facing the wrong direction.

Just turn the pot!
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Bart

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:29 AM »
The Arum dioscoridis liepoldtii is now flowering:

It wasn't a double flower after all, what looked like a second flower was just an empty sheath, I'm sure it will have a proper name..

In the garden a clump of Arisaema ciliatum var. liubaense is looking nice:

And to my surprise a Typhonium venosum (syn. Sauromatum venosum) is about to open I have never grown it in the open garden, this must have been planted with a pot of snowdrops from the greenhouse some time ago.

On the subject of flowers always facing the wrong way, I think Arums are undoubtedly the best at that.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:56:22 AM by Maggi Young »

Mariette

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 09:42:41 PM »
The spathe of Your Arum dioscoridis  is impressingly dark-coloured, Bart. Mine is probably less so, but I will have to wait for another flowering season to be sure.

Typhonium syn. Sauromatum venosum is known to grow and self-seed in gardens in the milder parts of Germany. It has even been found growing wild on the fringe of an urban wood.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal