We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2018 in Northern Hemisphere  (Read 17045 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: April 2018 in Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
A few more flowers.

Muscari.
The wonderful  Primula Groeneken's Glorie which comes through all the weather and cheers you up.
A Porophyllum Sax.
Scilla melaina.
Tulipa tarda.

Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 03:07:51 PM »
Finally Trillium albidum.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

meanie

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Slowly I feel the black dog that winter brings lifting from me and, this winter, from the garden as well. The last cold spell bought heavy losses, most of which where amongst those that I least expected (Salvia radula, Digitalis obscura, Eucomis etc.) whilst the tenders were largely unscathed  ???

Anyroads;
Salvia coerulea is the first Salvia of 2018.............
Salvia coerulea by longk48, on Flickr

I bought this Justicia rizzinii for £1.50 just before the last cold snap. It was kept frost free and is now blooming...............
Justicia rizzinii by longk48, on Flickr

I'm pleased with the number of blooms on Aeschynanthus 'Mona Lisa' but I wish I could get the foliage to look better after the winter..............
Aeschynanthus 'Mona Lisa' by longk48, on Flickr

Aeschynanthus 'Mona Lisa' by longk48, on Flickr

This Lewisia was a small division last year so it stayed in the greenhouse and is way ahead of the others that were outdoors all winter.........
Lewisia by longk48, on Flickr

Erythronium 'Pagoda' benefitted hugely from its sheltered spot............
Erythronium 'Pagoda' by longk48, on Flickr

Corydalis cheilanthifolia is another plant that I treated to 'greenhouse love' this winter passed. Great foliage plant.................
Corydalis cheilanthifolia by longk48, on Flickr

Lachenalia aloides has been in and out of the greenhouse all winter trying to hold the blooms back until the light was better..............
Lachenalia aloides by longk48, on Flickr
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Carolyn

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
Shelagh,
The crucifer whose name you can never remember is Pachyphragma macrophyllum, I think. (I have to check the name every year - some names just won't stick)  Such a good doer in the shade. I have it beside leucojum aestivum which is a nice combination.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
I was able to collect quite a bit of seed from my Pachyphragma this year but like you Shelagh, still couldn't remember its name and had to go searching back though planting lists. It's a great plant under trees and looks especially good with the shiny angelica. Mine was from seed originally, from Viv Condon in Australia if I remember correctly and I wouldn't like to be without it but yes, it has a name not easily to be remembered. It's one of those occasional plants which many people want when they see it but if they read of it in a list are not even slightly interested.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
Real Spring and then glorious summer, I hope, Trond!!

Maggi, we already have the glorious summer! I hope it will last. 8)

Hi Trond,

It seems like you have had some wild swings in the weather. What has been the over all effect on your garden? From earlier posts, it seems that there was some cold weather damage, however clearly some plants are doing well.

Here we are having typical spring weather - some warm days, then cool and rainy weather, then back again.

Robert,

Yes, the weather is a bit crazy. From freezing cold well below average to rather hot for the season, well above average. Seems most bulbs and other perennials have survived in good condition but it is too early to conclude for woody plants. Rhododendron blooming is delayed by several weeks but most of them look good (well, not damaged by the winter anyway).

A good thing is that I have almost no slug damage so far. I hope this will last!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
Thanks Carolyn and Lesley as soon as I read it I remembered.  Now I really must write it down where I can find it when I need it.  No promises mind.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 06:56:56 PM »
Starting to look a little like Spring here.

Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
A few impressions of today...

kris

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
very nice flowers Thomas. My alpine bed is slowly clearing out of snow.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
Leena,
There is such a beauty to the new growth emerging with the lingering snow. Thank you for sharing such scenes.  :)   8)

Thank you Robert. :)
Spring is advancing in big steps, we are not so much behind now. Lovely to see pictures of crocuses and other spring flowers. The first crocuses are also flowering here (in the warmest bed), and I hope to see the first Hepatica flowers in a week or two. :)
H.multifidus is one of the earliest for me, this picture is from yesterday.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Pachyphragma macrophyllum, I think. Such a good doer in the shade. I have it beside leucojum aestivum which is a nice combination.

It looks really nice in Shelagh's picture! :)
I have sowed it twice from seed ex seeds but it has never germinated. I still have pots saved, hopefully several cold warm cycles break their dormancy.
Leena from south of Finland

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
Townsendia spathulata.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
Hi Michael

What a sight for sore eyes. I love Townsendia very much. T. spatulata is one of the most attractive. The colour is colossal. I suspect that you cultivate this jewel in the alpine house. I haven't had much luck with Townsendia so far. Therefore I would be pleased about all information to the substrate, irrigation etc..

I have some T. In this year's sowing. Unfortunately, only 2 seeds of T. spatulata germinated. I'm hoping to get it big.  :)

Again... my absolute admiration.

regards
Thomas

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2018, 06:06:08 PM »
Very nice Michael.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal