We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2018  (Read 8691 times)

GordonT

Paeonia 2018
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:20:43 PM »
Although it is too early for bloom, I really like the new growth on Peonies. This bloom season will be especially gratifying as Paeonia daurica subsp. mlokosewitschii is set to bloom for the first time.

I know it doesn't look like much, but this has been a plant on my want list for years, and this mail ordered seedling has taken its sweet time even getting to this size! Thankfully not all the peonies are so slow to get to blooming size. Last year, I added Paeonia x 'Kamata Nishiki' to the growing collection of tree peonies here. It is set to produce at least two blooms this year.
613972-1
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:46:28 PM by GordonT »
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

ArnoldT

Re: Paeonia 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Paeonia emodii

Paeonia tenuifolia ssp. lithophilia
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
My first-to-flower peony here opened on 22nd  and despite a week of rain is still hanging on. It is the first flower on a seedling plant, unfortunately the label is badly faded; I thought it said wittmanniana but P. obovata alba is more likely - from AGS seed.614212-0614214-1
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
Super foliage, Gail!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:40 PM »
Looking at the leaves it cannot be P. wittmanniana, but P. obovata seems to be correct. My P. obovata just finished flowering, as well as many other Paeonia species.
Just started to flower in my garden is P. officinalis 'Alba Plena' and a  seedling of P. officinalis, as well as P. tenuifolia 'Rubra Plena'. Another seedling of P. officinalis which flowers in bright rose and fades to white when finished with flowering is just over now.
Attached the mother plant P. officinalis (this year the first flower showed some darker stripes, like there was some damage in the cells), my bright rose P. officinalis seedling (3rd year of flowering) and the P. officinalis 'Alba Plena'.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
A couple of chinese Paeonia in flower.

Paeonia jishanensis -An attractive dwarf “Tree Peony” which is sometimes regarded as a subspecies of suffruticosa but is much more compact.

Paeonia sinjiangensis -I’m not sure of the validity of the name. This is said to be a synonym of anomala but this chinese plant looks different from the other anomala that I have seen.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ArnoldT

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
Paeonia tenuifolia ssp. lithophila

Expecting temps in the high 80's to 90.  Should turn the flowers to crisps.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ArnoldT

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
Paeonia tenuifolia ssp. lithophila
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Some seedlings which are currently in flower in my garden. First 2 are P. x rockii seedlings, the last one is a P. delavayi seedling.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
It is lovely to see how advanced your peonies are, compared to mine in Aberdeen.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »
chinese hybrids i saw this afternoon in a park

614844-0

614846-1

614848-2

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:48:49 PM by Maggi Young »
North of France

KenC

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
Could someone please advise me on when to transplant Paeonia seedlings (most are now 2 years old)?  My P. Mairei and P. mlokosewitschii have seeded around and I would like to move them to other locations in the garden.  Are they as sensative as the mature plants?

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Could someone please advise me on when to transplant Paeonia seedlings (most are now 2 years old)?  My P. Mairei and P. mlokosewitschii have seeded around and I would like to move them to other locations in the garden.  Are they as sensative as the mature plants?
Personally I've never considered even mature peonies as particularly sensitive (except that I've killed P. brownii and P. clusii - to my shame). I work on the principle that I move them when I think of it - if a friend has admired a plant in flower I have sometimes taken a spade to a plant there and then and divided while in full flower; cut the flowers off for cut flowers and reduce the foliage by about half to reduce transpiration while the roots recover. I'm sure the plants don't particularly enjoy it but they invariably survive. So I may move seedlings now, just watering in well if our three-day summer looks likely to last any longer. But if there is no urgent need to move them yet I expect the plants would prefer autumn or spring.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Carolyn

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
I agree, Gail. I have several pots of seedlings which germinated this spring and I will be separating them out and potting on quite soon. I have never had any trouble doing this.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

ArnoldT

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »
Paeonia emodii
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal