We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2018  (Read 8694 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Paeonia 2018
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
Also I have separated peony seedlings in the spring, usually in their second spring (or first autumn), and often they have already started to grow, but they continue growing if you are careful.  I think peony seedlings are not difficult (but I have lost many seedlings during winter if they are not well rooted, freezing ground lifts the roots up and the freeze to death).

I have planted and moved peonies in autumn and in spring, and if they are not divided too small, they do well also in the spring. The best time in my conditions to move/divide a peony is late summer though I know that in books late autumn is best. I have planted many divisions in September and October, then moved them in the spring and noticed that here peonies planted in October don't grow any new roots. I think it is too cold for them then. If I have potted divisions in late autumn and looked at the pots in the spring I see that they start to grow new small roots only after the weather warms up, above +10C, I think, but haven't grown any during winter.
Most of the time a peony planted in late autumn (here) doesn't have strength to grow well the first summer, but they grow new roots then and maybe the second year they may flower. However, if I plant or move it in late August, or early September (at the latest) it will do much better the next year.
Leena from south of Finland

KenC

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.  I will move them soon and they will have all summer to settle in. :)

sokol

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 05:58:04 AM »
Most Paeonia are now faded. Just the last ones are in flower, especially the tree peonies.

Paeonia anomala

615866-0

Paeonia veichii

615868-1

Paeonia saueri

615870-2

Paeonia peregrina

615872-3

Paeonia mlokosewitschii

615874-4

Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
Also most Peony species have finished flowering for this year; only the different P. delavayi are in flower. Soon the P. lactiflora hybrids will start to flower. Here some P. delavayi flowers (i.e. different colours).615876-0615878-1615880-2

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 02:36:54 AM »
Very beautiful peonies flowers from all. Cannot wait for my young ones to flower!

Leena - also thanks, I have a pot full of P. peregrina 2 years old and was wondering the other day if to transplant the whole pot in a bigger one or in the ground. I noticed also for other species that moving/dividing later than September is always a risk, should I say a disaster in case of a snowless or super cold winter.

P. saueri - that's something new! very similar with peregrina.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
Leena - also thanks, I have a pot full of P. peregrina 2 years old and was wondering the other day if to transplant the whole pot in a bigger one or in the ground.

Gabriela,  for me P.peregrina and other related species are more difficult than P.dauricas, P.weitchii and quadruple hybrids (which are usually very easy and vigorous peonies), but I think when they are small they are better to handle than when they are bigger. My soil has not enough lime and P.peregrina and such get easily root diseases in my garden (even with added lime).
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
Gabriela,  for me P.peregrina and other related species are more difficult than P.dauricas, P.weitchii and quadruple hybrids (which are usually very easy and vigorous peonies), but I think when they are small they are better to handle than when they are bigger. My soil has not enough lime and P.peregrina and such get easily root diseases in my garden (even with added lime).

Thanks again Leena.
It is the first time I have peregrina; hope I won't kill the seedlings. I know the regions where it grows wild in Romania and indeed it needs calcareous substrate and super good drainage. It also likes very hot summers - something that is not a problem here in most years!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »
at home, the best time to separate or transplant the peonies is the month is early September, see end of August. at another time, they die (I have a very compact land).
already at the end of September, we can see that they have developed long new roots in depth which it is unfortunate to disturb.

616335-0

Paeonia delavayi, a very compact shape 60 cm high. it becomes more yellow after
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:07:48 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
This year some of my P. delavayi seedlings flowered, which seeds I harvested in autumn 2016; so 1.5 years after the harvest, I got already a first impression how the flowers are looking. One I have already posted earlier (yellow-orange with a red margin); here is another one.
In addition I have a seedling with dotted petals. The mother plant I bought once under the name 'Bucky Bella' (but this is not registered). All other seedlings from the same year of this plant showed so far uniform colour +/- same as the mother plant.616421-0616423-1

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
I grew this Paeonia from seed and it flowered recently for the first time this year. My label is long gone, as has the flower, but I wonder if someone might be able to tell me what it is please?

617204-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 07:12:47 PM »
David, the leaves with the red leaf veins remind me on P. cambessedesii (also the leaves itself are very similar); would this be possible?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Many thanks for responding Jurg. When it was in flower I thought it had a strong look of Paeonia cambessedesii and I am sure you are correct.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mariette

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
This year some of my P. delavayi seedlings flowered, which seeds I harvested in autumn 2016; so 1.5 years after the harvest, I got already a first impression how the flowers are looking. One I have already posted earlier (yellow-orange with a red margin); here is another one.
In addition I have a seedling with dotted petals. The mother plant I bought once under the name 'Bucky Bella' (but this is not registered). All other seedlings from the same year of this plant showed so far uniform colour +/- same as the mother plant. (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Your delavayi seedlings are strangely beautiful, Jürg! I never saw any coloured like Yours.

´Bucky Bella´may be the Dutch way to write ´Buckeye Belle´. Once I ordered a peony offered in a Dutch catalogue under ´Bucky Bella´which looked like ´Buckeye Belle´ on their picture. Yet the peony I received turned out to be ´Duchesse de Nemours´.

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
Mariette, thank you for your comments.
Concerning the P. delavayi seedlings, I guess they may change a bit in the next years, as it was the first year they flowered (and they are only 1.5 years old).
Concerning P. 'Bucky Bella', I also looked at pictures of P. 'Buckeye Belle', but they are darker in colour than my plant and look a bit different (i.e. my plant has always single flowers with only 10 or a few more petals; the colour of the attached picture looks a bit too bright due to sunshine).
617341-0.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
I was in Greece last week on a Naturetrek trip to Delphi which was brilliant; 11 of us on the tour including the two Greek and one English guide. The Greek guys had looked somewhat alarmed on the first night when they asked what people wanted out of the trip and I flourished a picture of Paeonia parnassica at them, but after a great deal of phoning friends of friends they found out where they grew and by some miracle they were actually still in flower when we visited (4th June, ideal time would probably have been a week or two earlier).
618890-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal