We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2018  (Read 8695 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Paeonia 2018
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »
For sure you was lucky to see this species so late, usually at Parnassos they're faded third week of may.
North of France

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
Gai, how lucky you were! That is a wonderful colour.  :)
It is good to see the habitat.
Leena from south of Finland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »
The three species peonies that we grow have flowered again this year (no late frosts!).
In flower today is what I received as Paeonia mlokosewitschii though it has pink flowers
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
I'm no expert Fermi but mlokosewitschii is now a subspecies of Peaonia daurica and your plant looks to me very much like P. daurica ssp. coriifolia.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
We have had here in Central Europe a really dry year. Since April there was not much rain. That is the reason why the peonies stopped growing  in June and after we got some rain in August and September, the P. delavayi's started to grow again (i.e. the buds developed leaves). Only one P. delavayi seedling also produced 3 flower buds, which now started to flower. Here is a picture of this flower (it is the first time this seedling flowered, so I guess, the flower colour will be slightly different in the following years).
I have another plant, a tree peony, which I bought two years ago (should flower yellow), and which did not flower so far. But also this plant started to grow again a few weeks ago and has now 2 flower buds (but so far it is not visible in which colour they will flower). It will probably take another week or two until they will open.
I never had this in the past, that peonies developed flowering buds in autumn.627848-0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »
We have had here in Central Europe a really dry year. Since April there was not much rain. That is the reason why the peonies stopped growing  in June and after we got some rain in August and September, the P. delavayi's started to grow again (i.e. the buds developed leaves). Only one P. delavayi seedling also produced 3 flower buds, which now started to flower. Here is a picture of this flower (it is the first time this seedling flowered, so I guess, the flower colour will be slightly different in the following years).
I have another plant, a tree peony, which I bought two years ago (should flower yellow), and which did not flower so far. But also this plant started to grow again a few weeks ago and has now 2 flower buds (but so far it is not visible in which colour they will flower). It will probably take another week or two until they will open.
I never had this in the past, that peonies developed flowering buds in autumn.

What a crazy year - I've never seen such late flowers on a peony.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
I've 2 plants which are producing buds, such as helleborus. In which state the plants will be after the "winter"...a real unknown
North of France

yijiawang

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28:09 AM »
Grows very nice! it is a small tree peony and difficult to set the seeds.

A couple of chinese Paeonia in flower.

Paeonia jishanensis -An attractive dwarf “Tree Peony” which is sometimes regarded as a subspecies of suffruticosa but is much more compact.

Paeonia sinjiangensis -I’m not sure of the validity of the name. This is said to be a synonym of anomala but this chinese plant looks different from the other anomala that I have seen.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal