We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2018  (Read 8361 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: August 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
Cooling temps and finally some rain, that's all that was needed for these seedlings of Commelina Coelestis to put up some flowers.  Sown this spring and flowering already - almost feels like growing annuals.  Looks like after all I will have a nice harvest of seeds this year again.

(Attachment Link)

Nice colour! I haven't tried any Commelina here, in Toronto there was some weedy cousin in one place I lived, I liked the colour there too..

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
Nice to have you back on here Cohan.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »
Nice to have you back on here Cohan.
That's what I thought!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
A few nice Manzanita species:

This is one of several forms of Arctostaphylos myrtifolia that I grow. It is coming along well and I will be able to plant it out soon. This young and small plant has already set flower buds! This species is low growing + or – 40 cm and spreads out over the ground, however I do not consider it mat forming. I enjoy the hairy stems on the current seasons growth.

This is a very distinct form of the common species, Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida. This plant comes from an isolated population where there are unique environmental conditions. The foliage on this form is especially silvery-gray. The plants from this site are also very stunted in there growth. There plants have been isolated for a very long time, so I am hoping that they will retain their dense, compact habit in cultivation.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
That's what I thought!

Thanks Maggi and David!
Here is one of many important plants in my garden that come from private seed trades or gifts from SRGC members-- I think this plant was from wild seed  from Johannes Hoeller in Austria, haven't been able to find a confirming note. I have many Cyclamen purpursacens from his seed (as well as some from JohnW in Nova Scotia)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
A few nice Manzanita species:

(Attachment Link)

This is one of several forms of Arctostaphylos myrtifolia that I grow. It is coming along well and I will be able to plant it out soon. This young and small plant has already set flower buds! This species is low growing + or – 40 cm and spreads out over the ground, however I do not consider it mat forming. I enjoy the hairy stems on the current seasons growth.

(Attachment Link)

This is a very distinct form of the common species, Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida. This plant comes from an isolated population where there are unique environmental conditions. The foliage on this form is especially silvery-gray. The plants from this site are also very stunted in there growth. There plants have been isolated for a very long time, so I am hoping that they will retain their dense, compact habit in cultivation.

Both lovely. Only A. uva-ursi here, and Arctous rubra in the mountains (maybe nigra too, I'm a little vague on how to tell them apart, since I think berry colour is not definitive?).

Robert

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 01:01:34 AM »
I have more photographs to share form our Sacramento garden, including Eriogonum hybrids.

Tomorrow is outing day for me so I am very busy getting prepared.  :)

I am glad to be following this thread again.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »
I have more photographs to share form our Sacramento garden, including Eriogonum hybrids.

Tomorrow is outing day for me so I am very busy getting prepared.  :)

I am glad to be following this thread again.

Yay for outings!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
A gift from friends in Thunder Bay, Stenanthium gramineum.  This is its first flowering and much appreciated at this time of year.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Cohan

Great to hear you've had some success with the purpurascens seed.

Here's a self sown seedling in the garden.  They're all much happier after a few rains in the past week.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
Cohan

Great to hear you've had some success with the purpurascens seed.

Here's a self sown seedling in the garden.  They're all much happier after a few rains in the past week.

john

Thanks, yes, John, they have done well. The ones from the silver/white leaf I still have in pots, sunk over winter, since I didn't want to plant them beside the wild seed plants, and I keep not getting around to finding a spot in the garden...lol.. I have not got any really silver ones, though they are lighter than the wild ones. I'm hoping once  I have them settled in properly they may seed more and variations may turn up.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »
A gift from friends in Thunder Bay, Stenanthium gramineum.  This is its first flowering and much appreciated at this time of year.

john

Interesting-- not a plant I know, cousin to Zigadenus/Anticlea, I see... looks very large and impressive?

Robert

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »

Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale

The seed was from one of my outings to the Sonora Pass region of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. As the flowers age they turn from white to pink.

On the right are two Eriogonum incanum x marifolium hybrids. Variation in the foliage is quite apparent.

To the left is one of a number of Eriogonum elatum seedlings from the Monitor Pass region, Alpine County, California. I am hoping for flowers next spring.

The Monitor Pass region is very beautiful. The eastern Sierra flora is also very different from the west side.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »
Physaria alpina Park County, Colorado. On alpine screes at 12100ft, 3689m.
Silver, offsetting rosettes surround themselves with deep yellow blossoms shading to almost orange in the throat.

Grown from ALPLAINS seed in 2016. I planted out a trio of seedlings, about 9 centimetres apart, thinking; that I might stand a chance of one of them surviving. All three have survived and put on good growth, and  it did put out a few flowers last year.

Where are the flowers this year? There appear to be tiny clusters of buds in the centre of a number of rosettes. But if I remember correctly (from last year) the flowers appeared much earlier. But it doesn't look as if it will flower this year! If you Google Physaria alpine you will be rewarded with many lovely images. 

Anyway, I think it has very attractive foliage. Has anyone else here succeeded with this plant and got it to flower?
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale

The seed was from one of my outings to the Sonora Pass region of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. As the flowers age they turn from white to pink.

Nice bunch of Erios.. I grow E oval. v. depressum, growing in a very tough spot in my garden!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal