We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2019  (Read 4006 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Lilium 2019
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »
The summer's heat has been a bit rough on some of the liliums but the Oriental-Trumpet Hybrid 'Mr Cas' has come through with only minor sunburn
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

brianw

Re: Lilium 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:55:20 PM »
Noticed recently that one of my Lilium henryi plants has a divided stem with 2 growth points. Not unusual for lilies from other online postings, but the normally robust stem, nearly 3 cm in diameter feels much weaker to me. It flattens (figure of eight) and divides at 40+ cms. Last years final height was taller than me. If it's a windy year could need staking. I recall there are a number of very tall lilies (Cardiocrinum apart); do they grow in very sheltered situations in the wild?

Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

ArnoldT

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »
Lilium sargentiae

Spends winters in the cold greenhouse and outside in a 6 inch pot during summers.

Requires some staking with winds and rain.

Good crop of stem bulbils.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »
They might not appeal to those who like the delicate species but I went to a fantastic garden today, Dale Farm at Dereham in Norfolk. Inspirational pond planting, wonderful large clumps of scented phlox and the most jaw-dropping lilies (Lilium 'Revelation' and 'Robina') that I've ever seen - more that 6ft tall with huge flowers in shades of pink, richly scented and looking particularly good combined with pink and white hydrangea arborescens.
649410-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Crumbs!  No shortage  of  blooms  on those  stems - how  pretty - and  nice  combo with the  hydrangea, too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »
Robina has been around for quite some time now, and has proven itself to be robust, relatively long lived and tolerant to differing environments.  If you want a reliable Orientpet lily, you can't go wrong choosing it. 
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 09:23:29 PM »
If you want a reliable Orientpet lily.
I hadn't realised that I wanted Orientpet lilies but having seen and smelt them I now want lots
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Bart

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
Hello Lily lovers,

Maybe someone can shine a light on which species lily make bulbs as shown in the picture? I've grown them from srgc seed. I did get quite a few martagons through the years, canadense, monadelhum, duchartrei, and maybe other but I mislaid the lists of 3 years worth of exchange seed so it could be anything really. I guess the bobbly-ness combined with the stolon might narrow it down.

All suggestions appreciated!

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »
An eastern North American.  L. canadense is a strong candidate, but I'm not sure we can tell at this early stage. Below, see
Lilium canadense seedling  bulbs
652401-0

Lilium michiganense seedling bulbs
Rick Rodich

Bart

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
Hi Rick, thank you for that. I will go with L. canadense until I get a flower. Given the list of seeds I planted it seems pretty safe. How close to flowering you think these are? The seed is from seedex 2013!

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 10:54:19 PM »
These L. canadense seedlings I pictured here:
-- photo taken in fall 2010
-- first feeble flowers in 2012
-- nice flowering in 2013.  This was the best one:
652443-0

However my garden is surely drier than their preference, and my pH is only slightly acid.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could do better. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:03:43 PM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
I started hypogeal germinating seeds on November 23.

On December 25, they aren't ready to go into a cold treatment, but they can be planted in pots.  Here you can see the little seed bulbs forming.

Rick Rodich

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »
thanks for these very interesting photographs Rick !

L. canadense is very beautiful
 if I understood correctly it was able to flower from seed in 3/4 years?
I like lilies and I am looking for species that bloom fairly quickly from seedlings.
 my 'baby' martagon bloomed for the first time this year after I don't remember how many years (7 or 8) :P
 I would like to sow faster and fairly easy species: which ones do you think?

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
Actually, no.  L. canadense seed was planted in 2007, the little bulbs pic was 2010, first feeble flower was 2012, good flowering 2013.  So for me it was 6-7 years.  But for me, not optimal conditions, and of course, being delayed ypogeal germinating, in year 2007 there was no growth above the soil surface, which is normal.  (Back then, I did not start this type of seed inside the house in the fall, as I did with the most recent pics above.)   

For faster maturing lilies, I think you'll need to stay away from the hypogeal germinating types, except for L. pensylvanicum(dauricum).  The Balkan hypogeal species, I don't really know as they don't seem to be very hardy here. I get them growing for a while and then one "bad" winter and they all die.  I grow a lot of martagon section lilies, and my fastest blooming was 4 seasons from seed(including the season completely underground).  Longest was eleven years. Usual is 5-7 years.

The more easily found species are pretty fast to mature. formosanum, longiflorum, concolor, davidii, amabile, callosum, leichtlinii, oxypetalum, pumilum, henryi, regale, philippinense.  Of course, hybrids are always relatively fast.
Rick Rodich

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 02:04:15 AM »
thank, Rick

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal