We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2019  (Read 27861 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Cyclamen 2019
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
Hi David,
that's a kind offer but no longer possible due to changes in the import regulations making it impossible for us to receive seess that aren't commercially packeted or sent from a registered business or plant society :'(
I might try getting them through the Seedex again ;D
Yesterday I was surprised to see Cyclamen rohlfsianum already turning colour! However I was pleased to see what was beneath those golden leaves
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mariette

« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
A seedling of Cyclamen hederifolium with a ghost-like pattern under a silverish veil.

Mariette

« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
This Cyclamen hederifolium was bought 11 years ago from a Dutch gardener and obviously  belonged to a strain - label unfortunately lost. Does anybody know the name?

Graeme

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »
This Cyclamen hederifolium was bought 11 years ago from a Dutch gardener and obviously  belonged to a strain - label unfortunately lost. Does anybody know the name?

I have one very similar and they were sold under the 'Silverme' label/strain - could be one of them
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »
Two different colour forms of Cyclamen africanum. Both grown from the same batch of seeds (possibly from SRGC Seed Ex.) but my records are incomplete, sown October 2015.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mariette

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »
I have one very similar and they were sold under the 'Silverme' label/strain - could be one of them
Thank You, Graeme! As far as I remember the label was ´Ice Green´, but that may have been just the name of Jan Bravenboer´s nursery where the gardener probably bought either plants or seed.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
Jan’s nursery was called ‘Green Ice’.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:44:09 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
Your africanum has a nicely marked leaf.  Mine has big green leaves with a slightly darker shadow.  Boring, as I consider the leaves to be the best part of most cyclamen.  I sowed the Cyclamen Society seed in 1997, and  I don't recall seeing any flowers yet.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

SJW

« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »
Thank You, Graeme! As far as I remember the label was ´Ice Green´, but that may have been just the name of Jan Bravenboer´s nursery where the gardener probably bought either plants or seed.

There was also an 'Ivy Ice' Series of C. hederifolium that was marketed by garden centres a while ago. "A new set of Autumn flowering cyclamen bred to produce lots of flowers with attractively marbled leaves in their first year."
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »
These are two cyclamen from Cyprus. C. graecum originally from Liveras and with some flowers finally
after this years hot summer.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Mariette

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
There was also an 'Ivy Ice' Series of C. hederifolium that was marketed by garden centres a while ago. "A new set of Autumn flowering cyclamen bred to produce lots of flowers with attractively marbled leaves in their first year."
Thank You, this seems more likely. Jan named a strain of Cyclamen purpurascens ´Green Ice´, but I don´t know of a strain of Cyclamen hederifolium of the same nae.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
Beautiful cyclamen from all! 8)

I'm happy with my Garden hederifoliums -

3 cheap tubers from a discounter - it was a trial - surviving my outside conditions since 2 years :)
and a very dark flowering form from Renate Brinkers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:56:53 PM by Armin »
Best wishes
Armin

Graeme

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »
has Cyclamen Society seed ex been distributed yet?

there was also supposed to be a CSE PM & JB seed list - not seen anything of that either

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
Graeme, have another read of the June CS Journal Pages 44/5
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Graeme

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
Graeme, have another read of the June CS Journal Pages 44/5
David at the moment I have everything in boxes so the chances of locating it less than zero  its a pity they don''t put a scanned in copy of the journal in the members area - or in fact e-mail a PDF out to everyone

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal