We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2019  (Read 28267 times)

Bart

Re: Cyclamen 2019
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
I have the same problem with Cyclamen rohlfsianum.  I grow mine on a windowsill and do not start watering till the flowers appear.  The flowers come first and the leaves grow once I start watering.  I think they grow tall because they are not getting enough light. 
There appears to be a genetic element too: One plant always has leaves emerging before the flowers, the leaves get big, and flowers are tall and quite dark pink.
Then there are the plants (as pictured in previous posts on 4/11) where indeed watering influences how quickly the leaves form, and yet another batch where I get short dumpy, pale pink flowers first and leaves emerging later, which stay smaller.
I really love everything about C.  rohlfsianum, except its massive tuber and the need for massive pots, so space becomes an issue.
Indeed, light levels do make a difference in how etiolated the leaves get; in full sun in a cold greenhouse they look nicest and last a long time. I do take them into the house to enjoy the scent though.
Does anyone know if there is a white flowered form in cultivation as mentioned in B. Mathew's book?

C. crassifolium ex93070 is still flowering away and has a little guardian who has been on the same set of flowers for a week or so:

and another one in late light:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:24:01 PM by Maggi Young »

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »
a small selection of hederifolium ssp crassifolium seen in the Taygetos earlier this month.
North of France

Gert-Jan

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Hello,please find some pictures of our garden, 2 weeks ago.

Gert-Jan

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
Some more.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2019, 07:57:27 PM »
Nice cyclamen Gert Jan
Lovely foliage and a great setting where they seem to seed well!
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gert-Jan

« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »
Hello Joakim, thanks, yes indeed many young plants form all kind of species. They seem to like it here. It is a sheltered place, south facing. That is the reason that we can grow some tender species.

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2019, 07:19:14 AM »
""CSE, Peter Moore and Jan Bravenboor seed will be listed separately. The list will be available on the Society website, or by emailing seedorders@cyclamen.org  ""

The seed page on the Cyclamen Society website lists the email as seeds@cyclamen.org
Are both email addresses valid? A friend had emailed to the address David listed above.

I’m yet to receive my seed this year. I don’t know if there has been a delay in this year’s distribution? I had requested the CSE/ PM/ JB seed list to be emailed when it was released. I noticed yesterday that the 2019 list is now on their website.
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Graeme

« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2019, 08:28:29 PM »
The seed page on the Cyclamen Society website lists the email as seeds@cyclamen.org
Are both email addresses valid? A friend had emailed to the address David listed above.

I’m yet to receive my seed this year. I don’t know if there has been a delay in this year’s distribution? I had requested the CSE/ PM/ JB seed list to be emailed when it was released. I noticed yesterday that the 2019 list is now on their website.
I have had an e-mail from the membership e-mail address today

"When sending your application to seedorders@cyclamen.org please ensure that you include your membership number, how you propose to pay and in the case of orders from America that you provide me with the necessary permit. Many thanks Arthur"
e-mail had excel and pdf attached - same as the pdf on the website

I had mailed earlier in the week for the other seed CSE etc. and have had a paypal invoice

I am not sure now if that is for the normal seed distribution or the CSE etc. however if they keep sending me invoices via paypal I will keep paying and see what comes - its always exciting :D

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2019, 02:10:58 AM »
Thanks Graeme. I received that email after I wrote my previous post. I've now sent my CSE order to seedorders@cyclamen.org. Maybe they've put the wrong email address on their website? I only joined the society this year.
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
Hello,please find some pictures of our garden, 2 weeks ago.

So lovely pictures and scenes, really inspiring! You have a wonderful Cyclamen garden. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gert-Jan

« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »
Hello Leena, thanks for the compliment.

Have a wonderfull Christmas everybody and all the best wishes for 2020.

GJ

Mariette

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Eleven years ago I received seed of C. elegans ex Iran, the seedlings are flowering between November and January. Recently there were doubts whether these are pure C. elegans, any help available?

655706-0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:11:53 PM by Maggi Young »

elena

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2020, 12:54:14 AM »
My C. purpurascens keep flowering through all seasons. I keep them indoors under artificial LED lighting. They were grown from seeds obtained from Jan Bravenboer and Chiltern Seeds as well as from seeds produced by plants bought from Ashwood Nursery and Pottertons Nursery. The seeds were sown in 2015-2017 and Cyclamens remained indoors for their entire life. The photographs below were taken on the 3rd and 4th of Jan 2020. If you click on the photographs, a larger image will appear.
656070-0

656072-1

The following is 'Verdume' with glossy leaves:
656074-2

The following is 'Silver Leaf' with unusual flowers:
656076-3
656078-4
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:52:34 PM by elena »

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Eleven years ago I received seed of C. elegans ex Iran, the seedlings are flowering between November and January. Recently there were doubts whether these are pure C. elegans, any help available?

Your plants are nearly identical with mine - originally a Dr. Hans Simon introduction. The early flowering periode (before coum) also points to elegans. Why do you have doubts concerning the determination of your plants?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Mariette

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
In fact it were not my doubts, but some a collector uttered. As far as I´m able to use the keys, I´d judge it to be C. elegans, too. Thank You for Your information, Gerd!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal