We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What’s your favourite method of propagating?  (Read 2909 times)

Mattb

What’s your favourite method of propagating?
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
I’m keen to know what people’s favourite methods of propagating perennials are, and the species you’re referring to? I’m more interested in methods you’ve discovered that are unusual, or just give you a buzz? As an example, for me: leaf cuttings of Eucomis, or, basically anything that can be grown from root cutting, like Eryngium (root cuttings! How is nature so amazing!)

I thought it might be cool having a thread listing the lesser known plant propagation techniques...
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: What’s your favourite method of propagating?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
Welcome Matt!  Brilliant idea to highlight  "other" propagation  techniques. ( Though not the best time  of year to remind me that I meant to take  Eucomis leaf cuttings last year and didn't! :'( )

I agree, root cuttings are  more than a little  "magical! I'm not sure  just  which plants will do well from root cuttings - how many can members suggest?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

bibliofloris

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »
Papaver orientalis does well from root cuttings (in late winter, if I remember correctly?) And I’d bet Anemone hupehensis does too, since one grew up again after I’d transplanted one elsewhere.

I like hardwood cuttings over the winter, and layering. Both have a fairly high success rate if I time them right, and don’t need any special equipment. I do use a wonderfully helpful booklet called “Cuttings Throughout the Year” from the Washington Arboretum to judge what type of cutting is best for many, many different plants at what time (at least in my area). Looks like you can order it through them, though I don’t know if they ship internationally: https://www.arboretumfoundation.org/shop/arboretum-shop/

Oh, and bulbils from leaf axils! They always feel like magic.
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
I agree, root cuttings are  more than a little  "magical! I'm not sure  just  which plants will do well from root cuttings - how many can members suggest?

A long time ago I received root cuttings of rare Japanese Viola hybrids from the late Dr. Miki.
The method works well and I raised some healthy plants.

Gerd
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:34:11 PM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Mattb

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:09 AM »

Thanks For the welcome, Maggi. And thanks for sorting out my noob technical problems!

It’s perfect Eucomis cutting time here in Aus, hence why it’s on my mind. In fact, I discovered the method by stumbling upon Meanie’s successes (http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11469.0).

I hadn’t looked into Papavers, but have had success with Romneya coulteri, so that makes sense. Although it’s one thing to get them to root and another thing entirely not snapping the fragile roots while transplanting.

I agree, biblioflorus. Bulbils are a little ridiculous, it’s like the Liliums are literally throwing new plants at me. Thanks for the tip re cuttings throughout the year.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:29 AM »
Dicentra spectabilis.  I haven't taken root cuttings deliberately, but if I transplant one, it
continues growing from the roots that were inadvertently left behind.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Mattb

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:57 AM »
Dicentra spectabilis.  I haven't taken root cuttings deliberately, but if I transplant one, it
continues growing from the roots that were inadvertently left behind.

No way! Dicentra/Lamprocapnos... it had never occurred to me to try. Papaveraceae is definitely winning the race here...

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
Some peonies will grow from root cuttings, notably for me Paeonia peregrina and the cultivar 'Coral Charm'
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

brianw

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
My photos from several years back of Eucomis leaf cuttings are on the PBS website
https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Eucomis

Root cuttings are as much a serious pain as useful. Depends what plant it is. I have plants appearing every year I think I have pulled up, or sprayed to kill. Nearly all those thistles that appeared after last years drought in my lawn are back after I sprayed last summer. I also have a number of Silibum thistles elsewhere I thought I had removed. Fantastic leaves, to look at, not touch, but difficult to dig out of heavy stony soils without protective clothes. Japanese Knotweed is another root cutting candidate.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
Gymnocladus dioicus ( Kentucky Coffee Tree) and Xanthoceras sorbifolia (Yellowhorn) can be propagated via root cuttings.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Mattb

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:33 AM »
Some peonies will grow from root cuttings, notably for me Paeonia peregrina and the cultivar 'Coral Charm'

I didn’t realise any peonies grew from root cuttings. I wonder if all the lactiflora cvs grow from root cuttings? And what other species might...?

François Lambert

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »
I don't really grow alpines, but I do grow lost of bulbs - amongst other Eucomis.

Whenever possible I try to propagate by seed.  It's fun, it allows to grow huge quantities of new plants with little effort when germination is high.  Personally I also prefer plants raised from seed because then you have a new plant with a new date of birth, where if you propagate vegetatively you end up with an old plant - seems most plants remember in some way when they germinated and a fresh cutting or grafting may not live for long because it originates from an old plant.
The downside is that cultivars & crosses will not come true from seed or some crosses may even be infertile.  The positive side is that you may very well get something new from seed - worth to become a named cultivar.
Although this has nothing to do with rock gardening, I have delicious peaches growing from seed raised trees (seeds of the peach trees in the garden (varieties that can be grown here and that are resitant to the curl disease)), and I have a very interesting pear tree that I found as wild seedling in the garden, which gives late October large delicious pears - much better than the old varieties of mate pears I purchased and who lack completely growing power probably due to their age - these grow as old trees, just a few cm per year.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:23:59 PM »
I didn’t realise any peonies grew from root cuttings. I wonder if all the lactiflora cvs grow from root cuttings? And what other species might...?
Not sure that many/any straight lactiflora cultivars will grow from cuttings. 'Coral Charm' has P. peregrina in its ancestry (Wissing, U.S.A., 1964; P. lactiflora x P. peregrina 'Otto Fröbel') which is presumably where that tendency to form adventitious buds on pieces of root has come from. I've not tried with any others but there are reports of P. tenuifolia 'Plena' doing so;
http://www.peonies.org/P_tenuifolia.html

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
Not sure that many/any straight lactiflora cultivars will grow from cuttings. 'Coral Charm' has P. peregrina in its ancestry (Wissing, U.S.A., 1964; P. lactiflora x P. peregrina 'Otto Fröbel') which is presumably where that tendency to form adventitious buds on pieces of root has come from.

I agree with Gail, not straigth lactifloras grow from root cuttings. The roots need to have adventitious buds in them, and the ones with either P.peregrina or P.tenuifolia -ancestry do it.  Also many peonies with P.officinalis -ancestry grow from root cuttings. For me such have been P.officinalis ssp humilis and humilis 'Flore Pleno' (in fact it starts to grow from even a tiny piece of root left in the ground after moving it), P.officinalis ssp officinalis (though I'm not sure if mine is true, but it does produce adventitious buds in roots), and P.mollis. Also P.x festiva 'Rubra Plena' and 'Rosea Plena' start to grow from root pieces, but for me not quadruple hybrids. 'Coral Sunset' grows from adventitous buds as well as 'Coral Charm'
Leena from south of Finland

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
my favorite propagation is sowing, to obtain several plants that adapt to my garden and my climate.

here is my example of vegetative propagation which I find interesting and which could be studied to provoke it. I can not do it again, it was accidental the first time:
 seedlings growing on the flowering stalk after flowering of Kniphofia caulesens.

I know that you can also cut the flower stalk of Eucomis.
I managed to propagate by cutting base flower deer of Hemerocalles citrina (pulling on it, a slightly thickened basis with 2 bract / leaves: it is rooted pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:24:12 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal