We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema  (Read 5071 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Arisaema
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »
I have grown Arisaema ciliatum var liubanense from seeds about 10 years ago. It grows well and has also spread.
First and second picture are of it last summer. Behind it in the first picture is earlier flowering A.angustatum var peninsulae.

Then I have grown this third plant from seed ex seed as Arisaema consanguineum, and it flowered the first time last summer. It flowers a bit later than my A.ciliatum, but they grow in different beds.
However, to me they look very similar, but I am no expert in Arisaemas. Can anyone say is the plant in third, fourth and fifth picture A.consanguineum or A.ciliatum? What is the biggest difference that I should look for in them next summer?
Leena from south of Finland

Carolyn

Re: Arisaema
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
Leena, I grow both of these too (at least that's what the labels say, but i am no expert!).  I also wonder what the distinguishing features of each are. The Pacific Bulb Society has some useful info on its website. Ciliatum can grow to 100cm and consanguineum to 200cm (mine don't, I think I must be too mean to them). The photos of ciliatum are useful, the 4th one shows the cilia which are apparently a distinguishing feature.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Ben Candlin

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »
Hi Leena, lovely photos of your plants.

Welcome to a whole world of muddled Arisaema chaos! Both Arisaema consanguineum and ciliatum are very commonly misnamed / muddled. The situation is not helped by the fact that they both very readily hybridise between themselves, so the chances of receiving 'pure' seed from an open-pollinated garden plant via a seed ex is very small indeed, as misnamed and hybridised seeds / plants have now long been circulated. The only way of knowing for sure that a plant is 100% a given species is to know with certainty it's wild provenance.

Both of your plants look very much like A.ciliatum liubaense, or at least, they both have lots of ciliatum liubaense in them! Best just to enjoy them as superb garden plants and forget the names!

Despite the name 'ciliatum', the presence or not of cilia on the spathe margin is not a reliable characteristic of the species. However, ciliatum is always stoloniferous, where as true consanguineum only makes sessile offsets.

For what its worth, the following pages might (or might not) help clarify things:

http://arisaema-resource.co.uk/arisaema-ciliatum

http://arisaema-resource.co.uk/arisaema-consanguineum

Leena

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »
Thank you Carolyn and Ben! :)
The links are very useful, and also other pages about cultivation and growing Arisaemas in your website. Thank you!
I will call both plants A.ciliatum.
I have had A.consanguineum grown from wild collected seeds (it was identified for me here in the forum) but unfortunately all plants died in hard winter 2016 outside.
Now a week ago I have sown some seeds of wild collected Arisaema sp from Yunnan in 3100m and hopefully they are more hardy because they were from higher elevation, but I think I will keep them protected during winters until they are big enough to flower.

My older A.ciliatum is definitely stoloniferous and last summer it was not as tall as previously and I thought maybe the tubers are too crowded. And there are other plants maybe too close to it. Another explanation is that last summer was so hot when it came up.
I like about it that it comes up very late in June, and so I can grow early spring bulbs (mostly Corydalis) around it, they seem not to mind growing together.

Two years ago I sowed seeds of A.elephas from seed ex seeds. They germinated well and look like this in their second year last summer. I have kept them protected inside in root cellar during winters so far, because I don't know if they are hardy enough to grow outside here??
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:27:27 AM by Leena »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »

Two years ago I sowed seeds of A.elephas from seed ex seeds. They germinated well and look like this in their second year last summer. I have kept them protected inside in root cellar during winters so far, because I don't know if they are hardy enough to grow outside here??

These don't really look like A. elephas Leena, sorry. Maybe A. serratum? or something close. A. serratum is masquerading for other Arisaemas in seed exchanges often.
Regardless, in my garden A. ciliatum is also the longest to live in the ground. I don't have such large clumps as yours, it takes times for them to expand :) Love them all, some day I expect they'll also start talking.

First time flowering last summer :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
These don't really look like A. elephas Leena, sorry. Maybe A. serratum? or something close. A. serratum is masquerading for other Arisaemas in seed exchanges often.

Thank you Gabriela! You confirmed my suspicions that they are not A.elephas. They germinated fast in warm and that is why I wasn't sure they were the right species, and I was hoping someone here would say something about them. :)
Their leaves looked different from all other Arisaemas I have (not very many) so I'm still happy to have them. If they are A.serratum, they would be hardy also here outside, I think.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »
Arisaema intermedium, un bulbe acheté cet hiver.
but what can serve this long spadix, who is going to crawl to the ground? a rope to raise the insects?

645476-1

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:53:01 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Graham Catlow

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
Arisaema kiushianum - first time flowering.

646091-0
Bo'ness. Scotland

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:58:02 AM »
Arisaema Kiushianum : this spadix goes up to or?

can we say that a climbing spadix attracts flying onsects, while a long spadix that goes to the ground attracts walking insects?

I love it very much :  dark flower,  spadix too long, and  single and very large leaf;

AnJo11

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »

walking insect seems a valid hypothesis. Especially since I sometimes see ants ahead in the flowers of those with vertical spadices,so I wonder if they can not have (here anyway) a role in fertilization.

Arisaema intermedium et Arisaema Kiushianum, culture in the ground?

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 06:43:03 AM »
personally as they are new bulbs bought, (I do not have much merit!), for the moment I grow them in pot. when they will  be multiplied, I would try in the open ground
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:26:29 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

AnJo11

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
In the araceae family, I have lot of flowers this year, but due to species carcteristics, ecposures and chaotic metéo, some plants of same var. are not growing in a coordinated way, (as for my dracunculus, still missed for the seeds this year!) and different species are found to bloom at the same time ...Some plants are just starting, others have finished blooming ...
If I have seeds among the arisaemas, there is a risk of mixing ... there will be discussions of identifications likely in some time! ;D

arisaema flavum had seed self-fertilization last year since he was the only one to bloom in his family, the only other araceae in bloom were Pinellia pedatisecta, I believe  interbreeding improbable.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
Can Dracunculus vulgaris self-pollinate?

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »
1st flower of Arisaema candissimum. I obtained this species by a very small bulb of 5 mm. and 4 years later finally:

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 10:10:34 AM »
Well done Véronique; it's worth waitng for.
Are you enjoying its scent of violets?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal