We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2008  (Read 50127 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Paeonia 2008
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »
One of my favourites, 'Cytherea' (as in 'The Embarkation to Cythera' I presume) in bloom at a friend's here today.

Incredible colour and even better on a cloudy day.  If we have had a hardy magnolia this colour I'd stop sowing seeds.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:24:14 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2008, 02:14:01 AM »
Hans - Foliage of P. suffruticosa v. spontanea. Is this a valid name?

johnw

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2008, 06:52:37 AM »
Hi John ,

to your question for P. suff.v. spontanea .....this seems to be a minefield .......
I will try it and I will write from the book of I. Rieck :
P. s. v. spontanea was collectet from Purdom 1910 anddescriptet from Rehder -Hong Tao was the opinion that this is a hybrid and he found a similar plant which he descriptet as P.jishanensis ( 1992 ) -later after some critic from his collegues has he tried to rename this plant as P. s.v. spontanea - but some people disagree. Later after some research of the pollen morphologie ( Hond de Yuan + Pan Kai-yu 1999 ) was P. jishanensis guilty .
Stephen How ( 2001 ) has now in year 2001 tried to rename all to P. spontanea ( he thinks that the old material from Purdom has priority ).....thats the end of the story ( so far I know )

The first treepeony which ever was descriptet ( Andrews 1804 )was P. suffruticosa ...but this was a plant with double flowers ( flore plena ) ....so Andrews has descriptet a hybrid !

Now to your pic of your plant :
I have it compared with my plant of P. jishanensis .....but it looks different !
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

johnw

« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Hi John ,

to your question for P. suff.v. spontanea .....this seems to be a minefield .......
I will try it and I will write from the book of I. Rieck :
P. s. v. spontanea was collectet from Purdom 1910 anddescriptet from Rehder -Hong Tao was the opinion that this is a hybrid and he found a similar plant which he descriptet as P.jishanensis ( 1992 ) -later after some critic from his collegues has he tried to rename this plant as P. s.v. spontanea - but some people disagree. Later after some research of the pollen morphologie ( Hond de Yuan + Pan Kai-yu 1999 ) was P. jishanensis guilty .
Stephen How ( 2001 ) has now in year 2001 tried to rename all to P. spontanea ( he thinks that the old material from Purdom has priority ).....thats the end of the story ( so far I know )

The first treepeony which ever was descriptet ( Andrews 1804 )was P. suffruticosa ...but this was a plant with double flowers ( flore plena ) ....so Andrews has descriptet a hybrid !

Now to your pic of your plant :
I have it compared with my plant of P. jishanensis .....but it looks different !

Hans - I understand from Stefan Mattson that this plant is in gardens in northern Scandinavia and has a long history. Maybe it came via Russia ex Purdom (???). He says from the seed you will get single pink and single lavenders flowers about 50:50. He did not mention any doubles.  Hopefully we will see some flowers next year.

Thanks for your work.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:37:44 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
And Leto in the same garden. Nice interior. This turned out to be something else - not Leto.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:01:52 PM by johnw »

arisaema

« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
If you got the seeds from Sweden I'm pretty sure they are P. rockii-hybrids, it's widespread there, with flowers ranging from pure white to deep pink.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2008, 01:11:15 PM »
Here is a picture of the original descibed P. suffruticosa from
Botanical Magazine, 1807:
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
Lucky Kerstin in Uppsala! :D :P
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
Lucky Kerstin in Uppsala! :D :P
Yes, from the http://www.alltomtradgard.se/tradgardslistor/pioner/paeonia-rockii---hybrid/ link !
 I would be ecstatic to have a clump of rockii like hers!  not that there was much wrong with the clump belonging to Maria Sederkvist ! 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #189 on: July 02, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
I amended the previous posting showing a shot of Leto.  This apparently is 'Leto' in a friend's garden.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
John, did you happen to notice whether or not 'Leto' is sweetly scented?  I have been inclined think that those peonies with "bristle brush" centres tend not to smell so good. I have made this observation as my nose and I make our way around the peonies of the district, when walking Lily the dog  ::) Wondered if anyone else had noticed this phenomenon?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »
'Leto' is lip-lickingly lovely or luscious - or both. :P
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »
I posted a pic of this to the SH thread, but it's worth repeating here!
Paeonia cambessedesii, grown from seed in 1998, only it's third or fourth year of flowering,
88425-0

88427-1

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:13:57 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »
Hi Fermi ,

My compliments !
thats a really nice plant -it seems you have better conditions than I for this plants -I had never luck with them .

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »
Fermi,

It really is beautiful isn't it?  Was lovely to see it almost out when we were there.  Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal